User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #76
mudbreeder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
my father's and mine, almost ready for an 8000km trip to 'north cape'
both are K75RT (mine used to be one) and have enlarged fuel tanks, double sidestand capable of lifting the rear wheel off the ground, and a large wooden trunk
(tires are pirelli scorpion mt90, mind that they are speed rated P, max 150km/h we have no intention to go past 120 and were looking for tubeless more gravel-worthy tires this was nearly the only option and handles fine, just mind the speed rating, then again these bikes where not created to race but to go the distance)

mudbreeder screwed with this post 05-25-2008 at 12:18 PM
mudbreeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:54 AM   #77
MotoEdde
Bohemian Accountant

Oddometer: 64
Mudbreeder,
OK...I have to ask...as I've come up with quite a few ideas after a few, BUT what are you gonna do with that "extra" capacity?
What sort of stuff are you envisioning carrying?

Fellow K-owner in Philadelphia...

http://www.motoedde.com/PicasaAlbums...e/target0.html
www.motoedde.com
MotoEdde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 10:58 PM   #78
wedgeman
square peg, round whole

Oddometer: 26,230
have had this 3yrs now, and still puts a grin on my face every time I twist the throttle..
I think it's my 6th Kbike (80s/90's brick), and everyone of them has been outstanding...

Bought it on a whim from an ADV'r in ATL dunno who...

Recently (April) started using it as my daily rider/commute to work.. saving me $200/month in fuel costs.

wedgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:30 PM   #79
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
This thread needs a bump.

My first K-Series, 1987 K100RT.

I fitted an RS belly-pan and the BMW-Clarion radio-cassette player. Loved that bike but it ate fork seals (I think that was fairly common with the early un-braced K's).

A little over a year ago I saw this bike on eBay fairly local. I went and had a look with the idea of bidding and restoring it.

The RS belly-pan was still there, as was the radio-cassette player. The top-box was missing and an LT seat fitted.

I knew that I'd spend too much putting it back the way it was and probably wouldn't enjoy the ride after so long anyway.

Next K I owned was arguably the best of the breed (if a little too focused for some).

With some ingenuity (and some soft luggage), my then girlfriend and I managed to spend a happy three weeks touring Spain in the early 90's.

Great bike for munching miles. I do miss that one.

I used to ride at work, had a couple of K100RTP's and K1100RTP's. The 1100's never felt as nice as the 100's - too much rubber mounting made everything seem remote.

I did have a K75RTP for it's life and wanted to hate it. I soon came to love that little, eager 750. It was unbreakable (I did try in the early days until I came to realise how good it was).

A couple of years ago I saw a nice 75C outside my local dealership. It had cases, screen and 36K miles showing. I asked who it belong to and was told, "You if you want it!"

It was a P-ex. I figured that they'd get sod-all for it from the trade (they're still under-rated) and made a silly (low) offer (about US $500). To my surprise they agreed!

So now I have this;

I thought I'd just use it occasionally (my main bike is an 1150GSA) but I find that I have wracked-up the mileage to 93K since August 2006!

When I bought it the rear shock was toast, I bought a 100RS one on eBay. Apart from one pair of (cheap) tyres, it's just been oil changes.

My GS is still the bike I use for travel but the 75 is everything else from nipping to the shops to popping over to Paris to see a friend.

I love the fact that the rear tyre is one size wider than the front of my GS, it has no ABS, no Servo assist, no semi-linked brakes, a drum rear (that I never use), no Para-lever, no funny front-end. In short it's a form of two-wheeled purity that still has real-world performance and it really rewards planned riding.

Like Boxer's, the older K-Series have easy access to the oily bits, another good reason to own one.

(I have plans to sort out some cosmetics one day. Knowing me, it will turn into a full-on restoration. eBay seems to be stuffed with cheap parts as no-one seems to want 75's. I've been buying stuff in preparation. If I'm not careful, I'll end-up with enough to build another bike!)
Old 07-23-2008, 04:54 PM   #80
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
k's forever!

The Franken-K, one of those ultra-special rally-equipped K1100RS Mk II models ... the old girl got me from Jacksonville, FL to San Diego, CA in a bit under 50 hours:

PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #81
StealthRider
Banned

Oddometer: 109
Rock On.

StealthRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:20 AM   #82
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai
John, I want to meet this person, can you hook us up?

Hey Shogs! How are you and Steve doin? Next time you are back in town we'll have to take you back over to Clark's Fish Camp for old times sake.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:00 AM   #83
spanky
Well, maybe...

Oddometer: 1,764
mine

The first:

The second:

The third:

spanky screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 07:03 PM Reason: 'cause I wanted to
spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #84
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoganai

EDIT: That's your bike John!?

Yup. I did my 50cc on her way back in 2002.

She's currently sitting in the back of the garage, awaiting a major redo. I've got a police radio box from a K75RT-P and the cop solo seat that I am planning to put on her. Add some modern electronics and she'll be ready to go again. I've been kicking around doing a BBG for some time.

Remember me commenting on the K1100RS that you had as your avatar back then? That's how I knew that you were a lady of great taste.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:46 AM   #85
kevlar930
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 273
Been riding a K1200S since March. When I am in town, the only time the car is started is if I need to haul something. Sorry about the crappy pic, but it is the only one I have access to on this computer (Yes, that is a 6 foot high snowbank).

kevlar930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #86
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 10,286
Shogs IMO a 75 will be vastly underpowered for the type of riding you do.

Obligatory offroad K pic.

Taken at the ADV Jim Thorpe meet!
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 10:55 PM   #87
DrFaulken
Luck Bucket

Oddometer: 206
Here's my 2002 K 1200 LT Elite. She's a beast, but at highway speeds it's like riding on a couch.

I bought her with 42,000 miles, I've already logged 5,000 more on her, and that's with my FZ6 getting the vast majority of my riding time during the summer months.
Attached Images

DrFaulken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:10 AM   #88
PirateJohn
Banned

I'm kinda fond of K's.

I had a pearl white non-ABS K100RS for years. Sorry, no digital photos of that one handy.

Then got the red K1100RS that I have already shown photos of.

Bosswoman and I jointly ride a similar black K1200LT that has had a variety of electronics on it over the years -

And then there's the ultimate K that I had for a few years and sold and which I regret selling. Terribly impractical bike, but I just loved riding her:

Here I am discussing the finer points of the K1 with a couple of other interested BMW riders :

Old 07-25-2008, 12:10 PM   #89
Tall_Canuck OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
What kind of tires are those?
I have the Metz Lazer and MArathon on my K100 right now but they suck on anything besides pavement.
My mechanic told me there are no duelsport tires for the K so I am curious what you put on yours and how they worked (I am only thinking of the occasional gravel road)
Thanks again for keeping the thread alive!!!
TC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off the grid
Shogs IMO a 75 will be vastly underpowered for the type of riding you do.

Obligatory offroad K pic.

Taken at the ADV Jim Thorpe meet!
Tall_Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:36 PM   #90
flatgunphil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Eh?

I love my '90 K100LT. Great as a commuter bike, and lots of storage. It loves it at 80mph.

Phil
flatgunphil is offline   Reply With Quote