User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2008, 04:35 PM   #1
yellowmike OP
YellowMike

Oddometer: 169
Camping in the Big Bend area??

After reading all of the threads on dual sportin in the Big Bend Texas area and looking at our local weather forcast (-12 with a wind chill of -25) my wife and I have decided to head south for a little midwinter vacation. We are planning on throwing the bikes in our van and heading out sometime the last week of Jan. I have done as much reasearch on the internet as I can on the camping options in the area, in the park and some of the private camping areas oustside of the park. I would like to have access to 15 amp service and a shower house if possible. Will I need to make reaservations this time of year or will it be easy to find a campsite? and which campgrounds do the experianced ADV riders recomend.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
preach
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
campground

I just came back from a few day trip to Big Bend... I stayed outside of Big Bend( 6miles From North entrance) at a place called Stillwells... I camped in their primitive(tent) area, but they had several RV areas... I was really impressed with their hospitality and knowledge of the entire area... Highly recomend them.
preach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:47 PM   #3
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
The Best Western in Study Butte is setup for RVs. Also, there are others nearby.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Big Single
Tejas

Oddometer: 1,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by preach
I just came back from a few day trip to Big Bend... I stayed outside of Big Bend( 6miles From North entrance) at a place called Stillwells... I camped in their primitive(tent) area, but they had several RV areas... I was really impressed with their hospitality and knowledge of the entire area... Highly recomend them.
There's a state park just outside of Stillwells property called Black Gap. It's a great place with some dirt dual track. You'll have the place to yourself this time of year. Stillwells is on FM 2627? You can't miss the place. The road dead ends into the Rio Grande River. Last time I checked, you'll need an annual sticker for Texas State parks before you arrive.

The absolute best thing to do in Big Bend is to float the Rio Grande through the canyons in canoes. Some experience would be advisable. The canyons are paradise. If you're a beginner in a canoe, I'd advise you do Boquillas Canyon first or pay the big bucks and go with an outfitter. In either case, the canoes will have to be shuttled. I believe they still arrange shuttles at Stillwell's store.

There are also short juants into Mexico I can reccomend from Presidio. There's a 40 mile drive to an overlook of the Rio Concho that's interesting. If you haven't been, it gives you a taste of Mexico.

I'd pack heat but I definately would not take any firearms or bullets or any parts thereof into Mexico.

Oh, and I've been somewhat disenchanted with the National Park lately. It seems I can't go through the park without some sort of entanglement with authority. Last time I was there, I was woken at 6:30 AM by a ranger who admonished me for knocking over a plastic post. The post was held up by gravel and I stumbled over it in the dark. Of course, my ID got checked. Rangers in both marked and unmarked vehicles hovered over us the entire time we were in our camping spot. We were bad. We used an inverter hooked to the car to power a blender to mix margaritas. Trivial matters I know, but enough of a pain to make me want to camp elsewhere.

Big Single screwed with this post 01-23-2008 at 05:18 PM
Big Single is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:14 PM   #5
Lone Rider

Doesn't Rio Grande Village have elec hookups?
Old 01-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
Burro X
>Bikes <Brains

Oddometer: 653
There are several areas inside and outside of the park where camping is great!
Outside the park on 118 in Study Butte is the Big Bend Motor Inn RV park/campground, hookups, good area for tents, showers, store and gas next door, several restaurants within a couple of miles ( or Terlingua )

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/

http://www.bigbendmotorinntx.com/motels_RV.html

Link for info to Stiillwells off 385:
http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrob...id=oid%3A95405

do a little research before you go, it won't be crowded at the end of January, weather nice compared to where you are, lot's of great riding and exploring expecially inside the park.

Colorful locals also ! ,,,
Attached Images

Burro X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
Big Single
Tejas

Aso, check out Big Bend State Park. It's very remote. You won't find the elevation changes you will in the National Park but it's very cool nonetheless.

Also, there's a private ranch called Terlingua Ranch. They have a motel and acess to about 30? miles of dual track with lots of short elevation changes. It's very remote and provides a great taste of the Chihuahuan Desert. The access road to the camp ground and motel is flat and RV friendly.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:29 PM   #8
Big Single
Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Doesn't Rio Grande Village have elec hookups?

Yeah, through a vendor. The parking spaces are in a paved parking lot right outside the store.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #9
Big Single
Tejas

As far as the weather goes, daytime temps can reach 90 near the river. At night, the temps can go as low as zero. Big winds are fairly common. In a big wind, I'd suggest you buy a 12 pack and find a hill top. Set your butt on a lawn chair facing the wind and drink the 12 pack while looking over the desert. Bring a jacket and goggles if necessary.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:35 PM   #10
Lone Rider

I've forgotten the size of Terlingua Ranch, but 250k acres or so rings my faint memory.
It has, on both sides of 118, more than 1000 miles of dirt roads.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #11
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr65o
....Bring a jacket and goggles if necessary.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:43 PM   #12
Big Single
Tejas

Quote:
I've forgotten the size of Terlingua Ranch, but 250k acres or so rings my faint memory.
It has, on both sides of 118, more than 1000 miles of dirt roads.
The road to the motel is about 16? miles and it's all Terlingua Ranch. As you write, it's darn big. I would also agree that there are many many miles of dual track in the area.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:47 PM   #13
Lone Rider

Sht, makes me wanna return...a good thing.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:52 PM   #14
Lone Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr65o
The road to the motel is about 16? miles .....
Could be all wet, but IIRC, the first 13 miles were paved and then another 8 or so of dirt after that. There was sum kinda weird thing regarding Cty $ and how far they would pave....I think.
IIRC, again , the Marathon road intersects near that surface change.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:52 PM   #15
Big Single
Tejas

Quote:
Sht, makes me wanna return...a good thing.

Every once in a while I get the urge to climb that hill behind the Three Palms again. I really really need to get the flock out of town.