User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2008, 07:50 AM   #1
Ateesman OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Nolan Helmet lock

I have searched and found several threads about adding helmet locks to a GS (frame, near license plate, etc), but are there any helmet locks out there that I can add onto my GS that will work for my Nolan N102 that doesn't have the "D-ring" or whatever you want to call it?

I have a full set of Varios, but don't typically carry them unless I need the storage - and if I need the storage, I still don't have room for the helmet as well.

Thanks,
Paul
Ateesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,848
I used a normal helmet lock on mine. I simply fished the hook of the lock through the loop by the clasp. It is open enough that you can easily make it go.

Alternatively, you can use a cable lock, but they are not as convenient!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
Voltar
Hell on Wheel

Oddometer: 1,616
I do exactly what Jim does.

However, I always recommend carrying a small 6 foot or so cable. It is a must for locking two helmets to the bike. I often run the cable through the sleeve of my jacket, then into the chin bar of two helmets, then lock the cable loops into the helmet lock clasp.

It keeps my bags from getting overloaded with just jackets....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
I used a normal helmet lock on mine. I simply fished the hook of the lock through the loop by the clasp. It is open enough that you can easily make it go.

Alternatively, you can use a cable lock, but they are not as convenient!

Jim

My projects and stuff:
http://www.whiskeytangohotel.com/
Voltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateesman
I have searched and found several threads about adding helmet locks to a GS (frame, near license plate, etc), but are there any helmet locks out there that I can add onto my GS that will work for my Nolan N102 that doesn't have the "D-ring" or whatever you want to call it?

I have a full set of Varios, but don't typically carry them unless I need the storage - and if I need the storage, I still don't have room for the helmet as well.

Thanks,
Paul
What's wrong with fishing it thru the mask itself. I have a Nolan N102 and do that. An el-cheapo (Wal*Mart) combo, neoprene coated bike lock works great for other parts of the bike.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:32 AM   #5
dronning
TNT -The Naked Truth

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalamar
What's wrong with fishing it thru the mask itself. I have a Nolan N102 and do that. An el-cheapo (Wal*Mart) combo, neoprene coated bike lock works great for other parts of the bike.
+1 I just loop my $2 cable lock through the chin guard. I have a 6ft one I can also loop through my coats sleeve if I want to leave it on the bike and don't have room in the panniers.

Dave
BMWMOA #120588
My WebSite
My Photo Gallery
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv,'98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman (125 ZunDapp), '53 Panhead

Past bikes: It all started with a 1967 BRIDGESTONE 175 HURRICANE SCRAMBLER
dronning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,231
Moved to Equipment.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #7
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,828
I, too, wondered about this for longer than I should have. The loop by the clasp looks like the answer to me, though I've yet to use it.

Also, if you're looking for a good, strong cable with strong loops on both ends, I bought an 8-foot dog tie-out cable from Rural King and used bolt cutters to remove the snap hooks from either end. The cable is nylon-coated and long enough to fish through my suit if need be, and I lock it to the pannier locks.

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarysharkface
....a good, strong cable with strong loops on both ends...
There's a yellow cable just under my seat in this pix Clicky. I fold the passenger peg out, then rest my helmet on the rubber of the driver's and passenger's pegs and then loop the yellow cable through the Nolan chin guard back to the bike's standard helmet lock. Helmet is tilted so rain doesn't get inside. Always hated the D ring thing locks anyways, give how easy it is cut the strap.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #9
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 12,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper
There's a yellow cable just under my seat in this pix Clicky. I fold the passenger peg out, then rest my helmet on the rubber of the driver's and passenger's pegs and then loop the yellow cable through the Nolan chin guard back to the bike's standard helmet lock. Helmet is tilted so rain doesn't get inside. Always hated the D ring thing locks anyways, give how easy it is cut the strap.
Hmmmm. And the helmet stays dry inside? I might have to give that (or something similar) a whirl..

John

The road to Hell is paved...
Save $5 on a Smugmug subscription when you use my coupon:
yBr7OofIPuOP6
KLR takes a circular route to Big Bend '13 http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=887449
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #10
Bimjo
Crashes at zero speed...

Oddometer: 321
You can use one of these. You can find them cheaper in bike shops. I got a two pack for that price locally.
Bimjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:14 PM   #11
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,433
Oh yeah, here's another great way to lock a Nolan to the bike if you're using the System cases:

Put your key in the System case and turn the key to the unlock position. Then sit the helmet on top of System case handle and key with the chin guard flipped up. Then lift the system case handle until you can just thread a strap with quick release mechanism under the handle - you can connect the strap to the other side strap for more stability. Then push the System case handle down over the strap, lock the handle down, pull the key out, and lastly, flip and secure the chin guard down.

The helmet is also secure enough to ride with on top of the case, just make sure the face shield is facing backward or closed so as not to catch the wind.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:00 PM   #12
Voltar
Hell on Wheel

Oddometer: 1,616
Now that's thinkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper
Oh yeah, here's another great way to lock a Nolan to the bike if you're using the System cases:

Put your key in the System case and turn the key to the unlock position. Then sit the helmet on top of System case handle and key with the chin guard flipped up. Then lift the system case handle until you can just thread a strap with quick release mechanism under the handle - you can connect the strap to the other side strap for more stability. Then push the System case handle down over the strap, lock the handle down, pull the key out, and lastly, flip and secure the chin guard down.

The helmet is also secure enough to ride with on top of the case, just make sure the face shield is facing backward or closed so as not to catch the wind.

My projects and stuff:
http://www.whiskeytangohotel.com/
Voltar is offline   Reply With Quote