Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
rob1313 OP
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,358
Southern Alberta Riders

Afternoon riders

I've been told that Southern Alberta will usually clear well ahead of those of us up here in the frozen norht Edmonton. Around what date do you think you will have rideable roads? In say the Lethbridge area? There are a few of us looking to get a fix before the snow is gone and can't afford to run all the way stateside.

Rob
Old 01-24-2008, 02:43 PM   #2
billy_037
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313
Afternoon riders

I've been told that Southern Alberta will usually clear well ahead of those of us up here in the frozen norht Edmonton. Around what date do you think you will have rideable roads? In say the Lethbridge area? There are a few of us looking to get a fix before the snow is gone and can't afford to run all the way stateside.

Rob
When there is a chinook, you can every month of the year. But first rides of the year, south of Calgary, second half of February. But even then, it can be damn cold.
billy_037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
dorkpunch
Oops...

Oddometer: 5,115
What he said... but... hope you arent plannin on a dual sport ride. unless you like ridding in flat, open fields. Talked to my dad the other day and he said theres a chinook blowin right now and it had warmed up a bit. Not sure what the roads are like though.

"I've been going to this high school for SEVEN YEARS. I'm no dummy!"
-Charles De Mar.
dorkpunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
rob1313 OP
Still learning

My buddy just got his fingers onto his first Strom and he's almost crying looking at the weather report. It would be mostly road. Maybe we should just bite the bullet and head for southern BC where the roads would be better, I can take the rain
Old 01-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
dorkpunch
Oops...

I dont think southern BC is going to be any better. Likely, its worse. I live just over the line from BC in Washington (2 hrs south of Creston). We've got easy a foot of snow in town, any higher elevations 4 feet and MORE. and its FRIGID here right now. guessin its round -15 C...

-Charles De Mar.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,221
That's a nice benefit to being in the southern half of Alberta... there are almost always a few days every month from Nov-Mar that are beautiful for riding. If you are just doing pavement with the Strom you'll have no issue with riding as soon as the next Chinook hits... hopefully any day now.
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #7
Moving Pictures
Sir Loin of Biff

Oddometer: 8,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200
That's a nice benefit to being in the southern half of Alberta... there are almost always a few days every month from Nov-Mar that are beautiful for riding. If you are just doing pavement with the Strom you'll have no issue with riding as soon as the next Chinook hits... hopefully any day now.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #8
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Weasel

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:42 PM   #9
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,878
South Alberta!

Don't need to go as far as Lethbridge just Calgary. Just over a week ago I was blasting down dusty gravel roads Calgary south to Longview.Snow on the mountian tops only. It was +3c. We got a couple inches of white stuff since but I'm betting we'll be out again in a couple of weeks. See we get alot of sunshine here even when its cold and given a little warm wind for a day or 2 and we can ride paved and gravel roads.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 12:49 AM   #10
jfike
1 bike, but not for long

Oddometer: 61
southern bc. in a word. COLD!

-5 right now and forecasting snow for the weekend. great weekend to have a bike show right!
jfike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #11
rob1313 OP
Still learning

Bike show sure helps with bike sales. I've sold 3 of my bikes in the last 2 weeks. 2 more to go, then I can bring home my new bikes.

I'll be checking in here to see when you Southern buggers are getting reliable riding time in with clear roads. If our spring still looks too far off we will be invading.

Rob
Old 01-25-2008, 04:17 PM   #12
dorkpunch
Oops...

Kind of off topic... but, Anyone know if theres any groups in Southern Alberta? I go home to (dont laught) Raymond pretty much every summer and have (and will continue) brought my bike up with me. The Raymond crowd is pretty much all cruisers and they dont get out of town much. We'd probably be interested in going somewhere and doing something if anyones around. My wife and I did a little 3 day trip to Waterton last summer. Maybe we'll make it to Banff this time?

-Charles De Mar.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #13
ABADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT
Don't need to go as far as Lethbridge just Calgary. Just over a week ago I was blasting down dusty gravel roads Calgary south to Longview.Snow on the mountian tops only. It was +3c. We got a couple inches of white stuff since but I'm betting we'll be out again in a couple of weeks. See we get alot of sunshine here even when its cold and given a little warm wind for a day or 2 and we can ride paved and gravel roads.
Hey - send pics of your bike, I thought I saw you the other day.

ABADV screwed with this post 01-26-2008 at 10:27 AM
ABADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #14
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,878
Abadv!

Howdy T. Yea 3 of us were out making dust but I miss the part about killing bugs too. Anyhow I haven't figured out how to post pics on Adv Rider yet.
Converted another buddy to Orange yesterday but all he could find was a black one. They arn't as fast. Next time she warms up I give you a dingle. D.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:10 PM   #15
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,426
Following pic taken in February '06 in De Winton just south of Calgary. I'm hoping in maybe 3-4 weeks I can get out...if we're lucky.