User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2008, 07:56 AM   #241
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickfigure

She is still smiling so you have a winner, hang on to her.

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:58 AM   #242
Loud Al

Oddometer: 3,868
Stupid double post.

Allan
Loud Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:16 AM   #243
VooDooPope
Looking for 2 good wheels

Oddometer: 22
what a great ride report. I'd love to make a similar trip someday.
VooDooPope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:23 AM   #244
ChurnDog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Wow, what an adventure. Sucks that you have had such a bad run of it in Costa Rica. I guess I made it there before all the tourists! All in all I am really digging this report and as always look forward to the next update!
ChurnDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #245
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Great RR. Sounds like you could have a torn diaphragm in your carb.Then again, I know nothing about KTMs.
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:15 PM   #246
MaddBrit
Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer: 23,468
I just put on 20 pounds in weight reading your thread and looking at all that fabulous food!

Nice job!

Old 08-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #247
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:

Mate, that looks like an awesome place to ride! But I guess having a passenger and scorpions in that mud probably takes the edge off the offroad enthusiasm. The 640 you are on is built for that stuff though - its a pity it took a crap. Sound like you probably got some shite in your fuel - well worth fitting a secondary fuel filter...
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #248
JackL
T plus 16 months

Oddometer: 435
Quote:

Now that a several days have elapsed, I think the worst part of the experience was that there was never enough light to get a decent picture.

Random lesson: If you don't mind the walking pace, an ox cart may be the world's most powerful transport device.

Man, that's still a great story. Still having a great time I see.
I really love that last line. Maybe I should get a mule for my around the world trip. ;)

The Big Trip (aka Le Grande Tour), Year 1
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585393

6 months in Europe on a Duc
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217104&highlight=jackl

JackLs Thailand/Cambodia Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=jackls

JackL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #249
funseeker2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
That last adventure will be be worth its weight in gold telling stories over beers with friends one day.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:04 PM   #250
Pockethead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
My best guess was that the main circuit of the carburetor is blocked or otherwise malfunctioning. Just getting at the carb requires taking the tank off, and disassembling a carburetor is not something I'd like to attempt without a shop. This was not going to be fixed in the field, and bringing the bike back to "civilization" was not going to be easy.
Hey,
I've seen this problem a few times before when riding in the forest and I am guessing it's one of three things.

- a saturated air filter
- a blocked carburettor jet (as previously mentioned)
- a fouled plug (highly unlikely on a KTM 4-stroke)

Considering the weather there I'd assume that water reached your air filter at some point.. anyways keep reporting this is a great read

Free GPS/GPS Tracking using your mobile phone and google maps

“Every so often a bird gets up and flies some place that it’s drawn to. I don’t suppose it could tell you why, but it does it anyway.” - Ian Hibell
Pockethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #251
supaparty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Holy ox-crap! Both my wife and I read this together and nearly started crying!!...we could you feel your pain!!! Some days (or series of days) just suck!...but at least you got things squared away in the end.

Funny too, we arrived in San Jose on Aug 1 to pick up some BMW parts and a drunk American expat warned us about the relgious holiday on Aug 2...yeah right I thought, then that night I read in Lonely Planet about the pilgramage to Cartago...over 1 million people!! The drunk was right!! We had to take the coast route from San Jose to David, Panama.

We're in Grenada now, and you're right, it's pretty damn awesome here...heading up to Tegus tomorrow and then to the Bay Islands...you going to be around?
'99 WR400 (Dual sport bike)
supaparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #252
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 510
Volcán Turrialba

I had a day to myself before the KTM shop in San José (Motos Breymann) could send a truck out to pick up the bike. It actually was a day completely to myself - Guille and I broke up just before she flew back to Guanajuato. She's great, but we fought more than I consider reasonable, especially for a relationship that would require me to move to Guanajuato. Besides, I think my novia anaranjada was getting jealous!

Having spent several days in the shadow of Volcán Turrialba, I decided to climb it. It was a risky proposition given the erratic weather, but somehow I managed a perfect four-hour dry window.

I was disappointed to discover that there was a road in fair condition all the way to the top. If only I had a working motorcycle...

Nearly every tree in central Costa Rica is *covered* with epiphytic plants, especially large bromeliads. It's hard to tell what foliage belongs to the tree! The jungle creeps over everything that sits still for long.

The volcano was pretty cool. No bubbling magma (that I could see), but lots of steam and yellow (probably sulfur) deposits in the caldera.

stickfigure screwed with this post 08-21-2008 at 12:12 AM
stickfigure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #253
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaparty
Holy ox-crap! Both my wife and I read this together and nearly started crying!!...we could you feel your pain!!! Some days (or series of days) just suck!...but at least you got things squared away in the end.

Funny too, we arrived in San Jose on Aug 1 to pick up some BMW parts and a drunk American expat warned us about the relgious holiday on Aug 2...yeah right I thought, then that night I read in Lonely Planet about the pilgramage to Cartago...over 1 million people!! The drunk was right!! We had to take the coast route from San Jose to David, Panama.

We're in Grenada now, and you're right, it's pretty damn awesome here...heading up to Tegus tomorrow and then to the Bay Islands...you going to be around?
I saw the tail end of the trek on the road on the way back. There were booths selling food and crafts and giving away gatorate samples and whatnot all along the route. It actually looked like fun, even to a heathen like me

Damn, it looks like you're a week or two ahead of me! I rolled into Panama City yesterday. There are a few adventures awaiting me here but my next major destination is Caribbean Honduras. How long will you be in the Islands? I'm going to laugh if we end up "meeting for beer" in LA

Jeff
Old 08-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #254
mikebikeboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Can't wait for the next installment! Your trip has really inspired me, especially your pace of taking lots of time OFF the bike, hanging out and experiencing the culture of wherever you happen to be. Great!!!!

I'm definitly gonna bookmark this so when I'm planning my own Latin American adventure I'll be more prepared. You are a great adventurer!

mikebikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:40 PM   #255
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Leaving Costa Rica

At long last, my bike was ready. The problem: LOTS of water in the carburetor. Upon closer examination, I now realize there is an easily accessible drain on the bottom of the float bowl... would it have solved my problem? Maybe.

There are three border crossings between Costa Rica and Panama. I chose the one on the Caribbean side because it's famous for being quiet and sleepy, plus the crossing itself is a rickety old ex-railroad bridge.

The trip across wound through the mountains. I passed this beautiful waterfall:

I drove through Puerto Limón. This port city has a *very* bad reputation right now and several people (including a trucker that waved me down near the dock) went out of their way to inform me of the danger. It's too bad because it's actually a somewhat cute town - for a port.

Finally I made it to the border at Sixola.

The border itself is a river and the crossing is a converted one-lane railroad bridge.

Costa Rica immigration and aduana were in a cute little building off to the side. I arrived at 1pm and had to wait about an hour for the proper official to return from lunch to stamp my exit.

The ride across this rusty, rickety thing was pretty exciting. Big trucks cross this bridge too.

Immigration on the Panama side, looking back. The little hut (there's one on each side) is a fumigation station that sprays down trucks as they pass through.

Panama immigration only sent me hiking off to a photocopy place (obnoxiously located about 200 meters down the road) once.