User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #406
keyskruiser
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Ride Report

After reading your's and Tricepilots RR, I will never feel adequate again. You guys really have a gift with the camera and the pen. On my way through Central America, I found the same areas of "propina" as did you. In Honduras on the Panamerican Hwy, I was hassled by a military stop and told that it was illegal to have my headlight on during the day. The fine started at $60. After much discussion, we settled on $5. I was surprised to see the guy in charge actually accept the money in front of all his men. They forced me to stay until I relented, then they were my best friends and wanted to talk about the bike. I found Panama to be one stop after another with the guys and their radar. I was stopped at least six times in one day, but only felt I needed to pay $5 once.

Thanks for sharing your trip, I read it from the beginning and am looking for more.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #407
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468
awesome. thanks for the tip. ill try to do that. if the rental place ever calls me back. how was the fuel situation? how many hours would u say it is from cancun to el cuyo?
Fuel situation was fine for us, but both the KLR and the 640A are camels. Something like a DRZ might be more troublesome if it has a stock tank. I don't remember where the gas stations were, but I'm willing to bet you can get a couple gallons of gasoline at the marina in El Cuyo pretty easily.

I seem to recall that El Cuyo was a little more than an hour out of Cancún. You take the road that goes off towards Isla Holbox, then turn off. GPS helps.

Go for it!

Jeff
Old 12-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #408
baker3576
Lifeflight Pilot

Oddometer: 2
Great RR

Jeff, I have been silently following your RR for several months now, while freezing in TN. You truly have a gift with expressing yourself, your adventures, and your predicaments in a hilarious but accurate way for all of us who have been in similar situations, and wish we were back there... or not. Keep up the good work, and you might possibly think about starting up a new Adventure Motorcycle magazine with your remaining funds...

Ride Safe, Chad
baker3576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #409
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 7,012
Here's a copy of the note you put in the ADV book in Panama Bikers

bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #410
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Back To The Oaxaca Coast

Since I'm sitting in my cozy San Francisco apartment watching the rain come down, I really have no excuse for not finishing this story. Technically the trip isn't over yet - but I'll get to that later.

From Campeche Nir and I rode west, spending two nights in San Cristóbal and then meeting up with my friends Trevor and Nina in Huatulco. A combination of photo-fatigue from approaching the end of the journey and revisiting already-covered ground slowed down my picture-taking.

Nir's KLR decided to throw the chain yet again:

Nir had it fixed and readjusted in ten minutes, but it's time for a new chain & sprockets.

We rode by this very poorly located village, major portions of which were underwater:

San Cristóbal was *freezing cold*. One day of riding later we were on the beaches of Huatulco, sweating in tshirts. Crazy.

We met up with my longtime riding buddies sp4ce and Nina in Huatulco. They're heading for Argentina on a KTM 990A - check out their sordid tale, which involves getting stuck for several weeks in horrible rainstorms that I barely missed. Added bonus: Nina is a far better photographer than I am!

Big brother, little brother:

We stayed a day in Puerto Escondido for some bike repairs. Nir got new chain and sprockets, we both welded our disintegrating happytrails racks:

Puerto Escondido is all about food and beaches:

Old 01-22-2009, 12:23 PM   #411
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oaxaca Revisited

Nir and I rode the wonderfully twisty hwy 131 to Oaxaca to meet up with Scott and this cutie... remember her?

Guille added a valuable new phrase to my Spanish vocabulary, amigos con derechos

I had a lot more fun in Oaxaca this time 'round. We stayed in cute hostels downtown, my Spanish was much better, and I had lots of friends to play tourist with.

Now that I've sampled nearly all of Mexico, I can fairly authoritatively state that the food in Oaxaca is The Best. It's not quite as spicy as what you find in the north, but it's incredibly savory and rich:

I was completely dumbfounded to find genuine *communists* in Oaxaca! Complete with soviet-esque flag and mugshots of Lenin and Stalin!

Don't they print history books in Spanish? Once again, I found myself wishing I had this on a tshirt... maybe translated into Spanish on the back:

Guille and I spent a day at Monte Alban (she'd never been):

The four of us (me, Guille, Nir, and Scott) took an all-day tour that brought us by a weaving demonstration...

...Mitla...

...a surreal cold spring formation called Hierve El Agua (more or less "the water boils")...

...and a Mezcal distillery. First they bake the agave hearts (no picture), then they mash them:

Then they ferment the mush:

Then they distill it:

After three not-nearly-long-enough days in Oaxaca, we said goodbye to Scott (for now) and rode to Mexico City, taking Guille as my pillion:

She hopped on a bus to Guanajuato and that's the last I've seen of her, although we still talk regularly over IM.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:02 AM   #412
mikebikeboy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Yay!

I feel like the Bilbo Baggins when The fuCkin Dragon Snorted the Last sNort@

Jufck Yeah@@!!

Whoo Hoo@@!!

Thanks!!
mikebikeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:59 AM   #413
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,122
Very Cool!
pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:11 AM   #414
pdedse
paraelamigosincero

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickfigure
...A couple from SF arrived in Zacatecas on a KLR and a DR650. This was the second set of riders I met at the hostel:

Small world!! I went back to the beginning of your report to find out more about that black/silver/green? KLR650 I saw later in the trip. I came across the above photo and said to myself...wait a minute...THAT looks really familiar. Saw that the posting was from April 25...I was IN Zacatecas late April for a quick three day trip. While on a walking tour, I saw these bikes by Hostel Villa Colonial and asked about them...hostel guy told me the mc owners were 2 folks on a 6 month trip learning Spanish. I snapped a photo...they've got to be the same bikes, right?

pdedse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #415
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdedse
Small world!! I went back to the beginning of your report to find out more about that black/silver/green? KLR650 I saw later in the trip. I came across the above photo and said to myself...wait a minute...THAT looks really familiar. Saw that the posting was from April 25...I was IN Zacatecas late April for a quick three day trip. While on a walking tour, I saw these bikes by Hostel Villa Colonial and asked about them...hostel guy told me the mc owners were 2 folks on a 6 month trip learning Spanish. I snapped a photo...they've got to be the same bikes, right?
Yep! A couple from San Francisco whose names I can't remember. That picture must have been taken after Gavin and I left, otherwise our bikes would be there too. They had ridden south through the Copper Canyon but the girl was a relatively new rider and having a very rough time of it. One of the times she dropped the DR650 tore a hole in the side of the engine, dumping oil everywhere. The guy had to fix it then and there with JB-Weld.

I hope the rest of their trip turned out better!

Jeff
Old 01-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #416
VampyreMP
Frustrated Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Stayed at the same hostel! There's a great guy in Zacatecas, he and his brother own a nice hotel in town. Unfortunately I can't immediately recall his name or hotel. They each own KLR 650's and help my buddy repair his KLR in their hotel lobby. He told us any moto rider is welcome to stay there cheap. If anyone is interested pm and I'll look up their info. It's in my notes somewhere.
VampyreMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:19 AM   #417
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Thumb

Doh ! At last !
After 28 pages and some time reading your story, I caught up....eventually

Damned ! this was goooooood, my friend. Vraiment excellent !
okay, you have a problem with women. nobody's perfect.
even if there's something still spinning with Guile.... so it seems.....

Started some time ago to read Nina's thread. hooked !
she's a fantastic photographer. we're really part of their trip.
then, i dont know why, I found your thread. and I remember having seen it previously. but with my interest for SA raised by Nina's, I started yours...
wow !
maybe your pictures are not as moving as Nina's, but your pen is really good, even for a non english reader.
it was a real pleasure to read you mate.
I knew we (cs geek) were able to write something more elaborate than for(int i=0;i<10;i++) printf("%s",names[i]);
Funny. Your mate Gavin reminds me of a special character: our dear Dexter. dexter morgan. serial murderer with an angel face !
and as with dexter with which I'm waiting for Season 4, I'm now waiting for the epilogue of this marvelous trip of yours.

reading....

/thierry
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:26 PM   #418
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Mexico City Revisited (Again (and Again))

I seem to spend a lot of time in Mexico City!

My bike was due for a service, but Motoaltavista was busy so it took over a week. They had a *very* cool bike sitting on the floor:

Nir began trying to sell his KLR. We hit up museums, zoos, restaurants... Mexico City offers endless distraction.

I went into the Palacio Nacional, Mexico's version of our White House. I'm not normally a great fan of Diego Rivera murals (I prefer the dark drama of Orozco's) but this one was cool:

The old Mexican congress:

A sinking building. The camera is actually level!

I went to the Museum of Mexico City, which had a temporary exhibit on the history of Mexican wrestling. You have to click through to the original image to see the captions, "El Communista de (somethingunreadable)" and "El Destructor Nazi".

Nir and I went to the (very large) zoo and played with Madagascar cockroaches:

...and generally horsed around:

We hung out with Raul again. He had never tried Korean BBQ! For that matter, neither had Nir.

More Korean food... Mexico City has everything.

I mean *everything* (!)

...including naked protestors, just like home!

Finally the bike was ready and it was time to leave:

I said goodbye to Nir and to Raul, who I will miss dearly. But what I will probably miss most of all will be the TORTAS!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #419
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,552
I have really enjoyed your R/R !
Thanks for taking the time!

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:06 PM   #420
ennui acedia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
what a trip

stickfigure :

Thank you for your excellent post, I followed from the beginning.
Muchas Gracias for taking the time, I am having withdrawals now,
what is in the horizon, you did a super job. What will happen to your
good-looking lady friend, are you back to work ? Many of us will miss
you, and dream for the day to do what you did. With so many adventires here, yours was one of the best.

pedro
ennui acedia is offline   Reply With Quote