Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #421
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 510
Thanks guys... I have a few more posts left to finish up the trip and I want to post reviews of my various bits of kit. Real Soon Now! Really!

Quick update:

I flew back to San Antonio and picked up my bike in San Antonio last Tuesday and spent the week getting it back to the Bay Area. It runs like a champ again. However, I'm fixing it up to sell because...

...a month ago I bought a 2007 990 Adv! I got a deal on Scuderia's demo model. Loving loving loving it so far. I'm currently sitting in a big pile of motorcycle parts (HID kit, Neduro rally tank, autocom bits, powerlets, etc) which are going on the bike this week.

Guille and I are still good friends and chat periodically online. The relationship was a great (if tempestuous) experience for both of us but we eventually concluded that it wasn't going to work out even if we lived in the same city. However, Gavin and Sonia are still together! He even got an apartment in Guanajuato where he spends a big chunk of the year. His Multistrada is still sitting at the shop in Guate, though

Speaking of girls, it's a good thing I now have a bike with pillion capacity because I met (actually re-met) a girl here in SF a couple weeks after I got back and now I'm in the midst of a torrid romance that is already generating nefarious long-term plans. She's a rider (though currently bikeless) and we've been tearing up the California coast with the 990A on weekends. She'll be joining me for the return leg of my summer solstice Alaska trip this year, so expect plenty of pictures in that ride report. Funny thing: Her family is originally from Guanajuato. Have I developed a type?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:26 AM   #422
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickfigure
...a month ago I bought a 2007 990 Adv!
why this is not a surprise ?
and why do I believe yours is orange......
Quote:
Speaking of girls, it's a good thing I now have a bike with pillion capacity because I met (actually re-met) a girl here in SF a couple weeks after I got back and now I'm in the midst of a torrid romance that is already generating nefarious long-term plans.

oh no !

Quote:
She's a rider (though currently bikeless) and we've been tearing up the California coast with the 990A on weekends. She'll be joining me for the return leg of my summer solstice Alaska trip this year, so expect plenty of pictures in that ride report. Funny thing: Her family is originally from Guanajuato. Have I developed a type?
yes

LR.
Stands for Love Report.

dont get me wrong, I like it. make me smile. even laugh as right now.
Love is the best thing.... after bikes ;)

Carpe Diem, hombre.
/thierry
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #423
JackL
T plus 16 months

Oddometer: 435
Quote:
Don't they print history books in Spanish? Once again, I found myself wishing I had this on a tshirt... maybe translated into Spanish on the back:

I love that shirt. Definitely need it or:

Also good but maybe too subtle for many:

The Big Trip (aka Le Grande Tour), Year 1
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=585393

6 months in Europe on a Duc
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217104&highlight=jackl

JackLs Thailand/Cambodia Adventure
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=jackls

JackL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #424
z@ch
Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer: 4,684
Wow. Truly epic adventure.

Is this the rum that you were looking for?

z@ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #425
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Can you just post your Happy Trails review, wallow in some more KTM pr0n and post up a few more Mexican babes and get this RR over & done with.........

Oh yeah.........yes I am envious.
Dilligaf0220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #426
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220
Can you just post your Happy Trails review, wallow in some more KTM pr0n and post up a few more Mexican babes and get this RR over & done with.........

Oh yeah.........yes I am envious.
Ok ok ok! This week more posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backroadsv03
Is this the rum that you were looking for?
Hot damn! I'm going shopping!

Jeff
Old 02-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #427
SurfAwave69
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Nice write-up...love the pictures.

It's good to see a fellow San Franciscan enjoying a great adventure!

SurfAwave69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #428
onip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Question

Quote:
I love Guatemala.

Guatemala does have a crime problem. Certain (fortunately well-known) roads are frequented by highwaymen, while kidnapping and extortion are thriving enterprises.
I'm plannig a trip from Quebec to Argentina. Can you tell wich road are frequented by Highwaymen?

By the way... I'm completly hook on your story...
onip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #429
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Xilitla

On the eve of embarking on another trip, I remember that I haven't quite finished the last report yet. Let's see if I can whiz through it.

From Mexico City I went northeast to Xilitla. I had heard stories and seen pictures of the surrealist gardens of Edward James, but they don't quite prepare you for the scale of it. Edward James was a rich patron of surrealist artists who decided to grow orchids in the jungles of Mexico. The story, as told to me, is that one year a frost killed his orchids, so he decided to make them out of concrete.

The result can only be described as Escheresque.

If I ever become a crazy, eccentric millionaire (as opposed to merely a crazy eccentric), *this* is the sort of madness that I would aspire to.

It was raining on and off, making the beautiful deathtrap even more treacherous. I climbed all over everything anyways, savoring the fleeting feeling of a free society without lawyers, guardrails, or the faintest sense of personal mortality.

I stayed in town. There was some sort of folk dancing festival going on:

Old 04-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #430
hetman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Nice.. what's the new trip?

We still need to meet up in SF sometime, although I'm heading to Argentina tomorrow (flying) for a few weeks and sounds like you're starting your trip soon anyway.
hetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #431
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetman
Nice.. what's the new trip?

We still need to meet up in SF sometime, although I'm heading to Argentina tomorrow (flying) for a few weeks and sounds like you're starting your trip soon anyway.
Awesome, PM me when you're back... maybe it's time for another advrider gathering at Zeitgeist.

Friday I'm taking the 990A to Baja for two weeks of exploring backroads with a couple friends. I was a little disappointed that I rushed through Baja on the CA trip, so this should make up for it!
Old 04-02-2009, 01:29 AM   #432
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Saltillo

At this point I started making quick time north. My plan was to be home by turkey-day. I didn't make it.

The road north was long and mostly eventless. This bridge crossing was fun:

Random breakfast:

The best thing about that breakfast was this bowl of fresh chili peppers. I'd not yet seen this particular type of pepper in my travels, but suddenly there were people lined up along the highway selling bags of them. They were hot, crunchy, and delicious! Recommended dosage: 1 pepper per bite of food.

I rode with a large pack of bikes for about 20 minutes. They were from Monterrey, heading for Real de Catorce for the weekend.

Saltillo is a desert city in the state of Coahuila, about 30 miles west of Monterrey.

I saw Rosalba and her new boyfriend, a dentist and former professional baseball player (!):

There is a huge desert museum in Saltillo:

...and some, uh, "interactive" exhibits:

Freshly hatched desert tortoises are cute:

Unfortunately, this is where my motorcycle trip ended. About 15 minutes after leaving Saltillo, I felt a sudden loss of power. I pulled in the clutch and the engine stalled. On the side of the road, a large amount of friction and clanking prevented the engine from turning over with either the electric or kick-starter. CRAP.

I didn't know it at the time, but it appears that Motoaltavista didn't fill the bike properly when they changed the oil. Services on the KTM LC4 are tricky; if you don't prime it correctly, you will get full oil pan and an empty frame - about half normal capacity. I'd been running the engine hard on a single quart of oil, and the big end bearing finally gave up. But all I knew at this point was that I was fucked

stickfigure screwed with this post 04-02-2009 at 01:47 AM
stickfigure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:23 AM   #433
stickfigure OP
Fiendish Fluoridator

Coming Home

This part of the trip, I'm sorry to say, sucked.

The first task was getting the bike to the KTM dealer in Monterrey for a preliminary diagnosis. I managed to arrange for a truck.

By the next morning the KTM shop had news for me: It's serious.

This meant Plan B. I have an extended service contract on the bike, but it's only good at an authorized KTM dealer in the US. I had to get the bike to San Antonio, Texas.

The KTM shop was wonderful to me - they loaded my bike on a truck and took it across the border for only the (surprisingly substantial in the north) cost of gas and cuota tolls. I expected the border crossing to be complicated, but we were through in 5 minutes with no inspection. It was shocking compared to the multi-hour ordeals I was accustomed to.

Laredo, Texas was a rather drab place to spend Thanksgiving. This was the *only* open restaurant in town:

If I was less emotionally exhausted I would have walked across the border; I'm pretty sure you can count on Mexico to provide amazing food any day of the year except Xmas. Instead I called up a few friends (reveling in my new, no-longer-roaming cellphone status) and then crawled into bed with a book and a six-pack of crappy beer - the next day was going to be very, very long.

My day, 28th of November, 2008:

* Woke up at dawn, cabbed to U-Haul in Laredo, rented cargo truck.

* Drove back to hotel, loaded bike in truck.

* Drove truck two hours to Kent Powersports in San Antonio and unloaded bike for diagnosis and repair.

* Dropped off truck at U-Haul center in San Antonio.

* Took a bus to a nearby Starbucks for internet access, checked schedules and bought a plane ticket.

* Cabbed to airport, got on a plane.

* Flew back to SF, got a ride home from a friend.

* Crawled into my own barely-recognizable bed sometime after midnight... two time zones earlier.

The funny thing is how easy it was to do all that. The rule for Mexico is you can accomplish one important thing per day, no more. There is no way I could pull off this complicated sequence south of the border. It's not just availability of the internet, cellphones, and my native tongue. This was a rather harsh way to re-enter civilization, but for once I was glad for the "Get It Done Now, In A Hurry" attitude in the US.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:26 AM   #434
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Thumb

Quote:
But all I knew at this point was that I was fucked
And u bought the 990 what... 3 days after ?
As every bikers, you cry about your lost for 5mins and went directly to the dealer to buy another one.

I know... I do the same.

For the Baja trip, take a lot of picts ! We're waiting for your next wonders.
And thank you very much for having share this great trip of yours.
/thierry
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:08 AM   #435
quicktoys2
ADVrider junkie :)

Oddometer: 629
What now ....... when will the adventure continue??

Soto