Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2008, 07:50 AM   #31
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,270

The starter sound? Not sure. It still makes noise but not as bad. My theory: water isn't good lube. The pistons are in pretty tight, and sans lube, it's a bitch to get them to move. Static friction being stronger than kinetic friction, it's that first pop- that first attempt to get the motor to turn. The starter teeth usually live next to the starter motor and only pop forward when the starter engages. If the teeth don't catch on the flywheel right away, then they grind a little. As the water is boiling out of the oil, the total engine lube is improving, and the starter is having to work less-hard. Eventually the last of the water will evaporate through the filler cap.

I would estimate that the total water volume ingested into the motor was less than 100ml. I mean into the motor body. The cylinders/pistons were completely flooded, and the exhaust/muffler was also filled with water to capacity.

This photo is of water squirting out of the exhaust. Sorry but I don't have any good ones of water draining from the spark plugs.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:10 PM   #32
Peka
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
The starter teeth usually live next to the starter motor and only pop forward when the starter engages. If the teeth don't catch on the flywheel right away, then they grind a little
You need to clean and lube that shaft that the starter teeth are on, as well as the solenoid, they would've gotten wet

This is how I know:

Peka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:42 PM   #33
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peka
You need to clean and lube that shaft that the starter teeth are on, as well as the solenoid, they would've gotten wet
What he said.

If it's a squeal when running the starter, then it's certainly grit in there. It's an easy fix. There's a good entry in the Wisdom files on just this:

http://advwisdom.hogranch.com/Wisdom...ng_starter.pdf

Good luck! Ride on! I looked up your location, and MAN! I'm looking forward to that ride report.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:00 PM   #34
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Thank you, gods of advwisdom.

Now the bike quits while I'm riding. It starts again when I hit the start button, but is sure is disconcerting. It happened today, on the way back from Yavisa. It happened at least five times in 190 miles. It didn't happen again in the last 50 miles. Ideas?

thanks
Old 02-01-2008, 08:09 PM   #35
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,345
Quote:
Thank you, gods of advwisdom.

Now the bike quits while I'm riding. It starts again when I hit the start button, but is sure is disconcerting. It happened today, on the way back from Yavisa. It happened at least five times in 190 miles. It didn't happen again in the last 50 miles. Ideas?

thanks
Fuel Pump Controller O-Ring..was the bike tipped over in the water?
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #36
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
Fuel Pump Controller O-Ring..was the bike tipped over in the water?
Not a factor on the 1100.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #37
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluorescentbrown
Not a factor on the 1100.
sorry..my bad
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:23 PM   #38
bananaman OP
transcontimental

The bike didn't tip over, but it was in deep- at least a few inches above the top of the air intake. It was in for at least ten minutes.

I have some ideas but I don't want to corrupt the collective by saying them. I'm willing to listen. And I'll try almost anything.

ps: I'm out for dinner in a few minutes. I finally made my intermediate (and perhaps most difficult) goal: YAVISA! so I'm going to smoke a cigar and eat too much. I'll leave the keys in the bike. Go ahead and take it for a test drive.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #39
Peka
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,999
When it cuts out does the RID cut out as well? What else cuts out? Is it sudden, like the kill switch has been hit, or more like running out of fuel?
Peka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:36 AM   #40
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peka
When it cuts out does the RID cut out as well? What else cuts out? Is it sudden, like the kill switch has been hit, or more like running out of fuel?
It's exactly as if the kill-switch has been hit.

The first time I noticed anything wrong, about 50 miles into the first post-drowning, it just gave a little sputter, then resumed. The kind of sputter that made me wonder, was that for real? A while later (sorry, no log entries) it did the same thing, only more obviously- a sputter/temporary death, then, without me doing anything, it resumed.

Yesterday, on the way back from Yavisa, it just died. I was going about 50mph on a decent section- not too bumpy or potholed. (The road varies from "paved," to pot-holed (read: perforated), to good-dirt, to bad-dirt and bad rocks. BTW, the TKC's were PERFECT.) I grabbed the clutch because the rear wheel was locking-up. I checked the kill-switch, wondering, Did I accidentally hit it? But it was in RUN position. I checked the key (as if, by accidental magic, it had been turned off.) All the lights were still on. The RID still said the correct time. I tried popping the clutch and the rear wheel really wanted to lock up. Then, some inspiration- engage starter! And the engine fired right up. I sped back up. But the ABS lights (which had been flashing since the drowning) held SOLID.

The next time this happend (about 20ish miles later) I went through the same check-list.

When we got to the next town, I pulled over and did some quick checking of the spark plugs. The left plug was in very loose (I had re-assembled them next to the river, and forgotten to torque them properly). The left plug was actually loose. So I put a little (not too much!) elbow into tightening them.

Pulling off the concrete pad I had found, I dropped the bike... HARD. What a bruise I have on my right leg! (But that's not part of the why-does-the-bike-stop? problem.)

It got dark fast (as it does here). The engine quit again before we got to the Bayano bridge and the police checkpoint. I stopped there and sprayed some WD-40 into the spark-plug connectors (thinking the leads might be dirty?) and I actually replaced the spark plugs (not with new, but with the two I had pulled out last summer, in a totally unrelated snafu). A few miles later, same thing. Barb was behind me and it was totally black outside so I let her light the way while I slowed, engaged the starter, and re-sumed riding. (When the starter is engaged, all the lights go temporarily dark. This is normal. But if you're going 50 mph through the DARK Panama night, and the road is trying to kill you with random holes big enough to swallow you, then going dark is... disconcerting.) We were stopped for about 30 minutes.

About ten miles later, it happened again. Same drill- slow, engage starter, resume. Some times the ABS lights would flash. Some times they would hold SOLID. I did not trust the ABS to save my ass if I had to do an emergency stop.

When we got to the Chepo police-checkpoint, we had to turn off the bikes while they made sure we were really us. The temperature outside dropped from the 100 degree high, to about 70. When I turned the bike back on, the ABS lights stayed flashing. The bike did not die again all the way back to Panama City- about 45 miles.

I had to make one quick stop, and the ABS did not work at all. The rear tire locked up. As soon as I let up on the brakes, the rear wheel came back under me. I thought I had been applying equal pressure, but who knows- when a homicidal taxi jumps in front of you, you just tend to grab-brakes, you know?

Barb thinks it's electrical. I just don't know.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:52 AM   #41
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Have you checked the side stand switch?
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:18 AM   #42
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Have you checked the side stand switch?
Side-stand switch? Disconnected in El Salvador. (I've only almost-killed-myself with it down maybe twice.) But that time the real problem wasn't the side-stand switch, it was a loose battery cable. I just thought (that time) that the problem HAD to be serious, and not user-error (I had not tightend the battery cables after installing new fog lights).

I'm using yellow duct tape to help hold the fancy Wonderlich foot-pad onto the side-stand. (You can bend them foot-pads if you try to turn left while the side stand is down.) Yellow duct tape to make it look like a duck foot. I think it's hilarious (the yellow, I mean.)

bananaman screwed with this post 02-02-2008 at 08:12 AM
Old 02-02-2008, 07:03 AM   #43
Jamie

Oddometer: 1,220
Bad ground?
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #44
bananaman OP
transcontimental

I'm going to remove the starter, clean it, and lube it. I'll also check the connections. I'll re-splice the side-stand wires (they certainly got dirty!).

But why would the bike start up again almost immediately, if there was a short?
Old 02-02-2008, 08:25 AM   #45
NBeener
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,521
Quote:
But why would the bike start up again almost immediately, if there was a short?
Shorts are awful -- largely BECAUSE things like this are possible. If, for example, you had a wire with a worn/abraded bit of insulation, then a touch of movement COULD make that copper wire touch bike frame (or similar) and give you a short.

It could do that when you hit bumps, when the wind blows, when you hit a certain RPM, only on Wednesdays, or just whenever the f*** it felt like it.

I'm not sayin' you do or don't have a short, but ... trying to find rhyme or reason when you DO have a short is a frustrating exercise. Ditto "bad ground."

ps: You're still making me really jealous, and I'm starting to hate youl

NBeener is offline   Reply With Quote