User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #46
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
But why would the bike start up again almost immediately, if there was a short?
That's why I thought it might be a cut-off switch/wiring, especially with that road surface.

Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #47
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,477
Carnival starts today in Panama. Everything is closing like if a blizzard was coming. I just got off the phone with my dealer back in the States, and I just called the dealer here. Good news: Eric at Mischlers in Beaver Damn gave me some good hints. HALL sensor? Remove plastic cover and let dry. Ventilate with compressed air. ABS? Take to nearest BMW dealer for diagnostics. Also check HALL sensor- might need to be re-set? Bad news: everthing here is closing until Thursday. (It's Saturday now.) Good news: since my bike is broken, I won't be on the roads with the hordes of drunken revelers.

More bad news: there's a broken tooth on the flywheel. No WONDER it was making such a terrible racket. I know exactly when it happened- when I was on the river bank, the first time I hit the starter, WHACK! went a tooth. My dad and Raulito grimaced terrible. With pistons full of water, nothing was going to move fast. Later (of course, later) I up-shifted to 5th and slowly turned the rear wheel, thus pumping the remaining water out of the spark plug holes, and into the exhaust.

Flywheel replacement: $1500... gotta crack the bike in half. 10 hours minimum. Plus the flywheel. I'm sure I can find a good flywheel from a parted out bike, but getting the parts to Panama?

I put a little lube on the starter-shaft. It's a little dirty from ground-up flywheel teeth, but otherwise it's ok.

Eric said I might as well ride it (once the ABS check is complete) because what am I going to do, wreck the flywheel? (HA!) If eventually I break off more teeth, and the starter just spins- just back up the bike a little, and try again! On a spot on the flywheel with teeth! (He cautioned against turning it off in remote places. I didn't mention that I like to turn it off when I drop it, before I try to pick it back up.)

So, if I've done $1500-$2000 damage crossing that stupid river, plus the cost of wrecking the left-side Zega, that qualifies as "wrecking the bike," right? But I'll fix it. I owe it to the bike. I know the bike isn't "alive," but it got me here, you know?
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 10:00 AM   #48
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
That's why I thought it might be a cut-off switch/wiring, especially with that road surface.

Shorts, wiring... I'm going back out there to follow wires.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:47 PM   #49
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,571
Intermittent cutout? I'd look into the kill switch-

Was that side submerged when you drowned the bike?

Maybe a piece of crud got into it when the repaired the master cylinder / messed up the throttle assembly.

I had mine apart, and i was amazed at how insubstantial that mechanism is.

Also, maybe a wiring harness got watered- I'd trace the kill circuit. Hall sensor is a good idea though.

Regarding the flywheel, I wouldn't worry about it- you can always move the bike in a high gear, in case the starter hits the bad spot. That, or push start it.......

Good luck. Remember, you could be freezing in wisconsin. Brrr....
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #50
John_Mann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Flywheel replacement: $1500... gotta crack the bike in half. 10 hours minimum. Plus the flywheel.
$1789.23 to be exact see avatar and be very careful in Mississippi
Old 02-02-2008, 05:16 PM   #51
Lone Rider

Flywheel

If and when you ever want to replace it, know that Fred from www.cyclesrecycled.com runs a BMW boneyard that sells at 1/2 of retail and has experience shipping to.........Panama.

I've bought a few things from him.
A semi-fresh motor is $700-900, so i'd guess a flywheel would fall somewhere far less. He's good w/email.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:19 PM   #52
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
If and when you ever want to replace it, know that Fred from www.cyclesrecycled.com runs a BMW boneyard that sells at 1/2 of retail and has experience shipping to.........Panama.

I've bought a few things from him.
A semi-fresh motor is $700-900, so i'd guess a flywheel would fall somewhere far less. He's good w/email.
A "fresh" motor sounds nice.

Tentative conclusions...

I've got to be getting home. I was due home in a week. My grandmother here in Panama turns 86 next week, and I'd like to be here for her birthday bash. I'm not going to be getting my bike into shape in time. I'll leave it here.

Labor here is $70/hour, and Torrero will let me use his shop. I can probably do 1/2 of the work myself, which would really cut down on the labor costs. Heck- I can probably do more than 1/2 the work, but I don't have tools to do a full tear-down and rebuild. For what I could save in labor- I could easily use the difference to buy an airplane ticket. Economically it's probably better to do it here.

Since I have to go home next week, I'll probably do another inspection, and make a list of parts. When I come back to Panama for Easter, I'll do the tear-down and replace the flywheel.

Thursday Torrero will help me diagnose the ABS and Hall problems.

I can not believe there could still be water anywhere in that bike. I rode it about 500 miles in heat heat heat, and I let it sit in the sun all day today with the tank off and the alternator cover off.

I could not find a short anywhere at all. I wiggled every wire. I did not have an ohm meter though.

The Guatemala dealer disasambled the right grip when he did the brake repair. I don't feel like tearing into it, but if the Hall sensor doesn't prove to be the problem, then I'll check the kill-switch wires in there.

Meanwhile, a waiter at a well-respected restaurant heard a rumor about a road from near Yavisa to... Colombia.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #53
bananaman OP
transcontimental

According to
Old 02-07-2008, 05:10 PM   #54
bananaman OP
transcontimental

[quote=bananaman]According to

Apparently the computer at BMW Panama kind of cut that last message.

Torrero did a computer check on the bike. I really like that computer gizmo. It enabled him to re-set the ABS and the brakes are back to perfect.

The computer wasn't able to get a reading on the hall sensors. They must have gotten dirty in the river. The bike still runs, which is a mystery. If the hall sensors are shot, the bike shouldn't run at all, right?

Beemerboneyard has a new hall sensor unit for $219. I'll order one from the States and bring it back to Panama in March. If I bought one from Panama BMW it would cost $390 plus tax and who-knows-what.

It looks like I should be able to find a good flywheel for less than $100. I'll try to find one of those, too. Torerro said he'd let me use the shop to replace the one I have.

For the work today, the price was $0.00. The most they would let me do was buy a couple of sodas.

On the way out, though- the bike died. Nothing. No signal to the RID, no tell-tale whirr from the fuel pump... nothing. Something was sticking in the kill-switch. The clymer manual said that if the kill switch breaks, you have to replace the entire unit. The time on the wall was 4:18. I took it apart and started reading. At 4:25, after I had the switch-assembly hanging off the handle bar, Torerro goes, "We close at 5." He said it with a smile but he was serious. At 4:45 I had it re-assembled and working fine.
Here's what you do: take off the mirror. Remove the small screw under the switch assembly. Take all the little screws out of the back of the assembly. Toggle the kill-switch for a while. Blow on it. Turn the key to the "On" position. Confirm a signal to the RID. Smile at Torerro. Re-assemble the unit, replace it on the handlebar, and lift up your hands rodeo-style (Torerro won't get it, but it makes for good theater). Say (in Spanish), "It's 4:45 and I have 15 minutes to kill. How can I help? Anyone want a beer?" Get another smile from Torerro, and, if you're lucky, have HIM start asking YOU questions about bikes! Finally have Torerro say, "Whatever you did to that assembly unit, you should tell Clymers, and post it on the internet." Then listen to Torerro braging about some lady (Beemerman?) who did a complete re-build on a GS in less than a day.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:23 PM   #55
Lone Rider

[quote=bananaman]
Quote:
According to ......
Yeah, that first post did kinda blow...

Good to hear you have things going in the right direction. Good 'tude....
Old 02-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #56
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Barb said from the beginning that it was the kill-switch. She says that computers blow and who cares if the computer says my hall sensors are shot. Since I took the kill switch apart and blew on it, the bike has been perfect. Four hours of riding today, from Panama City to Puerto Bello and back, and ZERO problems.

But it did take a little longer to start each time I started it. Maybe the heat and humidity? Who knows. I'll bring a hall sensor back with me but I won't install it unless the bike quits. If it's actually the kill-switch, I can always bypass it. I learned how to drive an MG with no starter-switch at all, way back in the dark ages, so I'm sure I could manage with a couple of wires and maybe a switch from Walmart. Maybe I'll stop by Radio Shack and pick up a few switches just to have around in the tool-kit. There ain't nothing complicated about the kill switch or the starter, is there? Nothing I can see. I've got a toggle-switch for my lights and they work fine. They're not easy to use and I have to reach with my fingers just a little, but that's what fingers are for, right?
Old 02-08-2008, 06:01 PM   #57
Lone Rider

Yeah, what he said.....

Screw that kill switch.

Maybe check and tighten up all the air intake junctions...

Those black tubes can get rotated outta postion when somebody works on the bike.

Ride on...safely...
Old 02-08-2008, 09:46 PM   #58
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,441
Bypassing the kill switch is easy. So is bypassing any switch. I had a Yamaha FZR 400 I road raced, and I bypassed the brake lights, side stand and ignition. To start it you just flipped the kill switch and pressed the starter, to stop it you just flipped the kill switch, easy and simple, no keys to lose, less wiring to go wrong.
Good on ya for fixing the bike, shame about the flywheel. I'm staying away from water deeper than my axles in future!
james
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 07:22 AM   #59
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Yeah, what he said.....

Screw that kill switch.

Maybe check and tighten up all the air intake junctions...

Those black tubes can get rotated outta postion when somebody works on the bike.

Ride on...safely...
I'm back on the super-crappy computer so I can't say anythin intelligent.

I've got some time to kill before my flight so I'll try to look at the air-intakes.

I forgot to mention that my throttle is sticking. Maybe I didn't re-assemble the handle bars properly. Maybe I'm just turning into a perfectionist.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #60
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Safe at home in Madison, trying to think of a way to get my dealer to let me watch a clutch-repair job so I can get that flywheel changed back in Panama.