Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #61
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,436
I'm ordering a new fuel filter and O-rings from Beemer Boneyard. The fuel filter doesn't need replacing right now but it should be good to have on hand.

Beemer Boneyard has a huge Huge HUGE! selection of spark plugs. I'm dizzy thinking about them. I've always just used OEM plugs but I'd like to hear suggestions for the best plug to get me out of Panama.

I'm still looking for a fly wheel. I'm going back to Panama 4 weeks from today so I can't wait for one of you guys to wreck an otherwise perfect bike, but if you want to ride in the ice and snow, call me afterwards.

Another inmate here has a new clutch plate, and I might buy it from him just for the peace-of-mind. He was replacing his fly wheel and thought he'd do the clutch too, and ended up not needing it because his clutch was fine.

Where can I find one of these fancy oilable foam air filters?

I'm still not convinced about the Hall Sensors. The bike ran perfectly for a hundred miles after I blew on the disasembled kill switch. In Puerto Bello it didn't start right-up like it used to. Part of that I blame on the missing flywheel tooth, the rest on possible suspect fuel?
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #62
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Just got off the phone with Fred Rowland over at "Cycles Recycled" in North Carolina (thanks Lone Rider). Water in the tank... Fred reminded me that the vent-tube creates a vacuum, sucking in air to replace the gasoline used by the engine. The vent-tube intake is down by the swing-arm, meaning that it was submerged. This is an easy repair, especially since the touratech tank has brass nipples at the front, at the low-points. I should be able to drain the water out of the tank.
Old 02-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #63
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
This is g r e a t sht.

Make sure to take care of your bike, keep 'er running so that you can post more cool stuff.

You may want to run thru two cycles of oil cleaning, dump one and then stuff in fresh oil. Bearings are your friends.

Get an air filter, dirty sock, pantyhose, whatever....

Keep the horse running, man. We want fcking pics....

Go 'Nannerman, go....
Pantyhose? What year is this? Who do you know who still wears pantyhose?! Silk stockings... or, more likely, REI brand poly-fleece- that's what I want my woman to wear!

Now that I think of it, I did have access to a pair of silk long-johns, but I didn't have a key to the side-cases they lived in. Good luck to the man who was going to wrestle them from Barb!

I've got 3 and a half weeks until the return to Panama and the resumption of travel. Oil filter, fuel filter, O-ring kit, platinum spark plugs, flywheel, and clutch are on the way to Wisconsin. The left side-case is so bent that I'm considering just throwing it into the flea market. The pucks that held the cases on... well, the screws pulled right out of them and no amount of "goo" will hold. It's either big-old bolts, or total replacement. The right side case isn't much better. Next on my wish-list is a set of Jesse's. I fall asleep dreaming of all the things I'll be able to fit inside. 108 liters. Compared to the total 76 liters I have now, 108 is HUGE!
Old 02-21-2008, 09:41 AM   #64
stickfigure
Fiendish Fluoridator

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaman
I've got 3 and a half weeks until the return to Panama and the resumption of travel. Oil filter, fuel filter, O-ring kit, platinum spark plugs, flywheel, and clutch are on the way to Wisconsin. The left side-case is so bent that I'm considering just throwing it into the flea market. The pucks that held the cases on... well, the screws pulled right out of them and no amount of "goo" will hold. It's either big-old bolts, or total replacement. The right side case isn't much better. Next on my wish-list is a set of Jesse's. I fall asleep dreaming of all the things I'll be able to fit inside. 108 liters. Compared to the total 76 liters I have now, 108 is HUGE!
With the amount of abuse they're getting, maybe Pelicans? The 1440s are pretty big and top-loading. You still won't have the same capacity but they'll survive... and even if they don't, they're cheap to replace.

Jeff
stickfigure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #65
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Pelicans, Zegas, Happy Trails, etc. etc. etc... I've debated and read and examined every system out there. I'm going with Jesse's for a few reasons. When I called, Al Jesse took my call. He promised he'd call me back in a couple of days, AND HE DID. We were able to have an actual conversation about international adventure riding. He gave me a few tips. He's done the routes that I'm planning. He knows what I need. (Kimo over at Touratech USA has also provided awesome service and advice.)

I'm really looking forward to testing the angled surface at the bottom of the bags. I drop my bike- that's just a fact. I don't know when I'm going to drop it, but so far on this ride I've dropped it at least ten times. Each time it falls, it makes very-hard initial contact with the lower corners. For example, when I fell in Costa Rica, going down a steep steep gravel hill, I put a nice gash in the lower front corner of the right case. (Repaired with cold-weld and duct tape). Hopefully the angled corners will perform as planned. When I drop the bike on the left side, the extended mounting frame adds leverage to the weight of the bike, and the result is a totally crushed side case. The last time I crashed, I managed to rip the left case completely off the bike. Ow.

I like the Zega easy-on/easy-off mounting system, but I think it gives up some robustness in order to be so easy to mount/dismount. I only took the side-cases off a few times. Easy mounting shouldn't be a big issue.

The Jesse's don't just mount closer to the bike, they also present a narrower profile. I don't really like to lane-split, but the reality of riding Latin America is, LANE SPLITTING. I'm careful about it (not nearly as daring as local lunatics), but with the Zegas.. I felt FAT.

I chose the Zegas for two reasons: nice square design, and, most importantly, a fellow inmate had them for sale, never-used, for a great price. I debated the size-factor: 35 liters on the left side seemed pretty small. On the plus side, the small-size was supposed to limit what I could carry, thus reducing the overall weight. I regretted this later, when I found myself having to lash waterproof duffels to the lids. I never did find a really good system for lashing everything. I never worried too much about bike-security, but there was always a nagging feeling that someone could walk off with the lashed stuff pretty easy. Getting into the cases when stuff is lashed to the lids- not fun.

Barb has Jesse-knockoffs on her KLR. They're way, way bigger than my Zegas. They're durable (Barb dropped her bike too! Not always reported in the Ride Report to protect her... innocence) and did I mention BIGGER.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #66
stickfigure
Fiendish Fluoridator

Quote:
Pelicans, Zegas, Happy Trails, etc. etc. etc...
I'm sure you'll be happy with the Jesse's. The Jesse bags on my F650 have survived several crashes on-road and off without bending. If they were available for the 640A I probably would have bought them, although in retrospect the Pelicans' side-loading has been particularly useful on my current trip.

When you get back to Panama are you going to ride the return trip or are you headed farther south?

Jeff
Old 02-21-2008, 11:14 AM   #67
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhoriman
I'm sure you'll be happy with the Jesse's. The Jesse bags on my F650 have survived several crashes on-road and off without bending. If they were available for the 640A I probably would have bought them, although in retrospect the Pelicans' side-loading has been particularly useful on my current trip.

When you get back to Panama are you going to ride the return trip or are you headed farther south?

Jeff
SOUTH!!!

With any luck at all. It's all a matter of budget and time. SOUTH!! is the goal- that's been the goal for an awful long time. I don't know when I'll have another opportunity, so I better take this one.

But if I don't go south, I'm sure riding home will be fun. There's magic in the idea of riding from Wisconsin to Panama and back, don't you think?
Old 02-21-2008, 11:39 AM   #68
stickfigure
Fiendish Fluoridator

Quote:
There's magic in the idea of riding from Wisconsin to Panama and back, don't you think?
Why yes, yes I do

Although, I could do without the icy snowy parts up north
Old 02-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #69
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhoriman
Why yes, yes I do

Although, I could do without the icy snowy parts up north
I thought you'd say something like that.

-15 last night. 15 now. More snow tomorow.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:38 PM   #70
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
I never did find a really good system for lashing everything. I never worried too much about bike-security, but there was always a nagging feeling that someone could walk off with the lashed stuff pretty easy.
Have you looked into this stuff?
(http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php...&activity_id=6)

It won't fix the "can't open the lids" problem, but might help address the security issue for the lashed items.

Best of luck,
NoVector
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #71
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,956
Plugs- I think the autolite 3923 plugs work great in the 1100GS, and they're cheap and easy to find (stateside). Wouldn't hurt to pick up a pair or two.

Mounting pucks- I'm not entirely sure of your situation, but it sounds like you might need threaded inserts at the spots where screw holes have been enlarged. It's a brass or steel tube that is threaded inside and out, screw it in, then use a machine screw for the original screw to the puck. Hope that made sense. Like this: http://www.yardleyproducts.com/

Flywheel- kind of sounds like a non-issue to me. If it doesn't start right up, put the engine in gear and roll a foot forward or back. I'd wait until my bike was back home to do that sort of repair. My 2 cents.

Have a great trip south, keep adventuring!

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:15 AM   #72
DruiD
riding too fast

Oddometer: 544
Look here.

I've been there. Not Panama, but the whole submarine GS thing.

Teeth can not be effectively welded and ground on the flywheel.

If you don't repair/replace the flywheel, the PLASTIC reduction gears in the starter will fail due to shock loading.

You will need to make some long studs to allow the trans/fd assembly ( I left mine together) to slide onto the engine housing/output shaft. You may have to slide it on and off a few times to adjust the clutch plate/spline location to mate with the output shaft.

Overall, it's not very hard. But it does take a long time.

Good LUCK!

PM me with questions.

When he rode the first three corners before putting the front wheel back down, I knew we were in trouble.

DruiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 06:17 AM   #73
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVector
Have you looked into this stuff?
(http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php...&activity_id=6)

It won't fix the "can't open the lids" problem, but might help address the security issue for the lashed items.

Best of luck,
NoVector
Pacsafe makes cool stuff. Barb used a big pacsafe net to secure her backpack. One problem is the price- what I saw from rei was more expensive than the stuff I had in the duffels (sleeping bag, tent, sleeping pad). Otherwise I think it's a great idea.

As for my side-cases... the pucks could be bolted on instead of screwed on. I think they might have been designed to be a weak point, because it's better to break the side case off than to bend the rear frame. Kind of like a crumple-zone. A nice feature of the side cases is that they acted like big soft bumpers. Also they protected my legs a couple of times- mine fit nicely in the space between the crash bars and side cases. If only I could find a better place for the footpeg, instead of having it dig into my calf.

My spark plugs are OK, but blacker than usual. Probably from questionable gas, and there's certainly water in the fuel. I'll keep them as spares, but run for a while with the platinum ones. I understand that volkswagon uses these platinum ones, and they go 60,000 miles between tuneups.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:10 AM   #74
bananaman OP
transcontimental

Can someone point me to instructions for a canister-ectomy for a 1996 R1100GS? I read the instructions for the 1200, but they don't sound precisely applicable to the 1100. Can I just remove the cannister, and splice the intake to the out-take and let it run? (I know the environmental reasons for keeping it, but I'm so far off the green-ride that I'm even considering mods that will allow me to run leaded fuel. Not for this trip, but for if I take this bike to Africa or Asia.)

The Jesse's are on their way! Thanks Al!

I'll have a set of zega/touratech racks for sale. I just have to figure out how to get them from Panama. I might be able to find a local buyer, otherwise they might be on the flea market around the end of April. My dad could probably put them in his luggage and fly them to the US for me. I'll keep the flywheel with the broken teeth. The flywheel and the clutch are going on a wall in the livingroom!
Old 02-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #75
stickfigure
Fiendish Fluoridator

Quote:
Can someone point me to instructions for a canister-ectomy for a 1996 R1100GS? I read the instructions for the 1200, but they don't sound precisely applicable to the 1100. Can I just remove the cannister, and splice the intake to the out-take and let it run? (I know the environmental reasons for keeping it, but I'm so far off the green-ride that I'm even considering mods that will allow me to run leaded fuel. Not for this trip, but for if I take this bike to Africa or Asia.)
The usual practice for a canisterectomy is to plug the carb/throttlebody line and route the fuel tank overflow to the ground. One of the main reasons to remove the canister is that sometimes the vacuum line to the carb/TB leaks and causes the mixture to lean out. A plug will eliminate the potential for this problem; routing the fuel tank straight into vacuum will not.

I just cut the line to the carb short and put a screw in the stub on my F650. I presume the same procedure works for the 1100GS.

Jeff