Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
jam_nut OP
Back Road Explorer

Oddometer: 273
/5 Headlight Lens Removal Help

Hey guys,
I'm restoring a 1971 R60/5 and ran into a dumb problem.

Had the headlight bucket repainted and bought a new lens and ring. Decided before I put all the electrics back into the bucket I should make sure the new parts fit the old bucket. All went together just fine, but now I can't get them back apart. There has got to be a trick. I already chipped the new paint and decided to stop and ask for guidance before I mess anything more up.

Little more background; when I got the bike these items were not together and I have never worked on a /5 until now. So, I'm blazing a new trail for myself.

So, what is the method to get the ring/lens off the bucket?

Included some pics to show what I got.

Thanks for any help!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-17-2014, 02:08 PM   #2
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,683
It is a friction fit... the usual problem is that it pops out. You may have a tight-virgin bucket

Try prying it out... car upholstery people use plastic prybars that don't scratch thins quite as easily.. try using some saran on the tip of a putty knife and twist gently... it WILL come apart, just try not to damage your nice new work!!

I would work on the bottom, where it will be least visible if you do scratch it......

Old 02-17-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
rambozo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Put some masking tape over your new paint, that'll help stop damage while
prying
rambozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
bpeckm
Grin!

What camera are you using, just outta curiosity.... far more detail and macro than anything I own... we could send in your prints to identify you.....
Old 02-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #5
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,727
Arghh. Its' been so long since I've used the stock headlight that I don't remember. From the cobwebby part of my mind, I'm thinking that you gently push the spring clip in from the bottom hole (right one in your pic) in the headlight bucket with a thin screwdriver. The clip snaps over the projection made by that "hole".

The headlight rim ought to just pop out. And in fact does on the road, which prompts people to modify it so that it is retained by a sheet metal screw...

--Bill
Old 02-17-2014, 06:27 PM   #6
bpeckm
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Arghh.

The headlight rim ought to just pop out. And in fact does on the road, which prompts people to modify it so that it is retained by a sheet metal screw...

--Bill
I used a small tie-wrap, never could figure out how to put in a screw.....

Snip it off to get into the bucket, and I kept a coupla spare ties inside the headlight for putting it back together. Never popped off again!!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:16 PM   #7
Kanticoy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Quote:
Arghh. Its' been so long since I've used the stock headlight that I don't remember. From the cobwebby part of my mind, I'm thinking that you gently push the spring clip in from the bottom hole (right one in your pic) in the headlight bucket with a thin screwdriver. The clip snaps over the projection made by that "hole".

--Bill

You're right on Bill. That's exactly how it works. I modified mine to use an allen head bolt. Prompted by the fact that when I got mine the bottom of the inside of the bucket was roached from water sitting in it. Took some figgerin' to get it right, but no bashed-on-the-road lenses.
Kanticoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #8
Tin Woodman
Mike

Oddometer: 192
Now is the ideal time to rattle can it white on the inside of the bucket. I wish I had done mine prior to rewiring - you'll see why very soon.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #9
bpeckm
Grin!

Yup!

Old 02-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
Kai Ju
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
Yup!

What a Brilliant idea, wish I was that smart when I had to replace my black hole a while back.
Kai Ju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #11
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,727
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Woodman View Post
Now is the ideal time to rattle can it white on the inside of the bucket. I wish I had done mine prior to rewiring - you'll see why very soon.
Oh, yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckmn
I used a small tie-wrap,
Yep, that too. The true Airhead solution.

The techie way to do it is to pop-rivet a piece in place of the springie thingie.

--Bill

Bill Harris screwed with this post 02-18-2014 at 07:04 AM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:11 AM   #12
Beezer Josh
Disgruntled Minion

Oddometer: 838
I do the same thing bpeckm does after my headlight popped out going 70 down the highway one day. Nearly shit my pants. Now I no longer fear losing my headlight and my wife doesn't have to scrub my skivvies as much.
Beezer Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:57 AM   #13
jam_nut OP
Back Road Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
What camera are you using, just outta curiosity.... far more detail and macro than anything I own... we could send in your prints to identify you.....
Camera is a Cannon PowerShot S95

Highly recommended. I did a lot of research and this one was rated as the best pocket camera out there. I agree.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #14
jam_nut OP
Back Road Explorer

Thanks for the reply, but this does not work. The only thing you can access through the hole in the bucket, is the tab on the ring (you can see it in the second pic, shiny and centered). This tab doesn't engage anything.

The only thing I see holding it in are the two tabs attached to the bucket (on either side of the tab attached to the ring).

I'm going to give it another go in a few hours and see if I can pry it apart. I don't see another option.

Still all ears for more guidance.

Thanks!!

Quote:

--Bill
Old 02-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #15
Beezer Josh
Disgruntled Minion

Oddometer: 838
The owner's manual says, "Use screw driver to pry the headlight rim off the head light." Then, further down, "When reassembling, place head light insert into the top of the edge of the head light housing, push it against the head light housing at the bottom making certain that the locating tab is properly positioned. Ascertain that the holding springs are fully engaged." Maybe pry from the bottom where any scratches that may occur cannot be seen?

In that second picture, the only hole you can see is the one in the bezel along with the alignment cutout on the rim of the bucket. The hole in the bucket is covered over by the spring-the two tabs you mention-in that picture.

I did follow Bill's advice the first time I did it using a flat blade screwdriver to press up on the springs. It should work.

Beezer Josh screwed with this post 02-18-2014 at 10:07 AM
Beezer Josh is offline   Reply With Quote