Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #31
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,299
OK- so I've already opened my mouth- might as well see if the rest of the leg will fit.

I presume you chose the Honda CRF450 mount... or rather- did you plan the triple to have correct mounting holes for that unit? Do the mounting holes in your triple line up with the mounts for other makes? and you went ahead and got he rubber mounts listed there as well?

I take it you already had your Scotts.. If you didnt have one would you have gone for one of the package deals?

I'll need to see a few handlebars in person, because I know I need to figure a cross bar, but as long as I know it'll handle 1-1/8"... I'll have to re figure control perches, as I think BMW stock is 7/8".... Guy- you said it was a pretty direct swap-over, though?

I'm having trouble correlating your part numbers to BRP's.. not that thats a big deal...

I'm pretty confident that 88-95 GS's had the same forks. I think it was other things that changed, like controls and some minor electrics, but of course- make sure you get that from somebody better equipped.

One more thing- the lower ring on the damper- that grabs the steering stem, below the upper race and above where the top tube is welded in?
Old 02-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #32
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
OK- so I've already opened my mouth- might as well see if the rest of the leg will fit.

I presume you chose the Honda CRF450 mount... or rather- did you plan the triple to have correct mounting holes for that unit? Do the mounting holes in your triple line up with the mounts for other makes? and you went ahead and got he rubber mounts listed there as well?

I take it you already had your Scotts.. If you didnt have one would you have gone for one of the package deals?

I'll need to see a few handlebars in person, because I know I need to figure a cross bar, but as long as I know it'll handle 1-1/8"... I'll have to re figure control perches, as I think BMW stock is 7/8".... Guy- you said it was a pretty direct swap-over, though?

I'm having trouble correlating your part numbers to BRP's.. not that thats a big deal...

I'm pretty confident that 88-95 GS's had the same forks. I think it was other things that changed, like controls and some minor electrics, but of course- make sure you get that from somebody better equipped.

One more thing- the lower ring on the damper- that grabs the steering stem, below the upper race and above where the top tube is welded in?
Stagehand,

I specifically designed the triple to use the BRP SUB Mount for the Honda CRF450X. Actually I should clarify that a bit, I designed it around the SUB mount for the after market BRP top triple for the CRF450X. (There is 3mm difference between the stem bore and the bar mount bores between the stock CRF450X Sub mount, and the one for the BRP after market top triple, so this is why it is important that you use P/N: SMO 10614P3, which has the proper offset for my triple.) The triple can be used with standard bar mounts from any manufacturer that uses the same rubber cone mounts as the CRF450X, but if you want to use a Scotts damper, it will only work with the SUB Mount from BRP. Yes, you will have to purchase 4 of the rubber cones, which come to about $12.

The SUB mount is made to accept 1 1/8" bars, but there are reducers available that would allow you to run 7/8" bars. BMW bars are actually 22mm, which is around .866" a bit smaller than .875 for standard 7/8 bars. The right hand controls slipped on without a problem, but I had to fixture the left side control in my mill and increase the bore by .01" for it to fit over the knurling that the ProTapers have on the left. I believe you could get around modifying the control by filing down the knurling on the bar. So other than that, there shouldn't be any re-configuring of the perches necessary, and other than what is mentioned above, it is a direct swap.

The part number SMO 10614P3 might not be the same as what is listed on the web site, but for a phone order I confirmed the above is correct.

Neither Scotts or BRP make a bolt on ring that will fit around the neck of the BMW. So the best bet is to buy the weld on tower from either Scotts or BRP. I will be making a ring type bolt on tower, but it will be several weeks before I have them finished.
HPMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:08 AM   #33
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

thank you thank you thank you for taking the time to answer and figure all this out.
I think this could possibly be the best mod for the front end after the magnum inserts and race tech. I'm definitely in, I just need to get through the next two weekends! .
Old 02-21-2008, 05:17 PM   #34
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Scotts Damper Installation

I just finished up the installation of the Scotts Steering Damper on my GSPD. Following are some Pics:

As suggested by Scotts, I used a weld on pin tower. They say it is more rigid than the bolt on style. Their "standard length" tower worked very well, it required just a little bit of grinding on the bottom wings to get them to line up with the frame, and cutting about 7/16 off of the top of the tower.

I had to re-route the gas tank vent line a bit, but other than that everything fit perfectly.

The new triple uses the stock wire loom for routing the cables, it keeps them nice and tidy.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #35
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Any particular reason why you didn't make the pinch clamp bolts enter from the rear, instead of the front?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:59 PM   #36
ebrew
Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer: 1,271
pm

sent thanx erik
ebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 08:16 PM   #37
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Actually, yes....it would be one more operation on the CNC to put the bolts in from the rear. With them from the front, I can do all of the work on that side of the clamp in one setup. I assume you are looking for better access to the bolts? Or would it be for another reason? Curious.....

Quote:
Any particular reason why you didn't make the pinch clamp bolts enter from the rear, instead of the front?
Old 02-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #38
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

access it was.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #39
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,615
Guy,

Did you get a stock R80G/S top clamp to make a version? I'm interested in one...

Quote:
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:30 PM   #40
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Hello Solo,

Congratulations on the new bike!

No I have not come by a stock clamp to duplicate. Carl (here on AdvRider) has a spare, and should be sending it my way soon. I would appreciate some input from G/S riders as to what would be necessary to incorporate into the clamp. Some pictures of the clamp on the bike, with the accessories bolted to it would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
Guy,

Did you get a stock R80G/S top clamp to make a version? I'm interested in one...
Old 02-22-2008, 03:41 PM   #41
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPMGuy
Hello Solo,

Congratulations on the new bike!

No I have not come by a stock clamp to duplicate. Carl (here on AdvRider) has a spare, and should be sending it my way soon. I would appreciate some input from G/S riders as to what would be necessary to incorporate into the clamp. Some pictures of the clamp on the bike, with the accessories bolted to it would be great!
Thanks Guy!

Quote:
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:43 AM   #42
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,832
Guy are you considering a bolt on pin application for the dampner?

I love the triple clamp and was looking to raise the bars anyhow, but I an not to hot on welding something to my frame for the Scotts.

When do you think you will have the finished product?

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:53 AM   #43
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

they (BRP) make a bolt on app-- but its not as good as the welded version...not as stiff...
Old 02-23-2008, 07:37 AM   #44
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,832
I understand the fact that a welded on e would be stiffer, just dont want to weld anything to the frame.

Do you know which one is the bolt on application? I did not see anything listed on the web site.

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #45
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTill
I understand the fact that a welded on e would be stiffer, just dont want to weld anything to the frame.

Do you know which one is the bolt on application? I did not see anything listed on the web site.

I'm not completely sure, because I've never done this, but I think this is it:

Forgive me if you've seen this, and maybe Guy can correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.brpmoto.com/index.php?cPath=78_89_1455