User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2008, 09:15 AM   #61
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Mike,

The bars clear everything, including the fairing and the tank. The closest points of contact are the master cylinder resevoir on the windscreen (it is fine with the screen tilted forward), and the throttle lock cruise control comes within about 1/2 inch of the tank on full right lock. Both of these are closer than normal, because I run my levers at about 40 deg. down, if they were run in a more flat position(normal), the clearances would be greater as it would tilt both the master cylinder resevoir and the throttle lock away from their conflicts.

This picture makes it look like there isn't much clearance, when actually the closest part is the throttle lock, and it has about 1/2 inch from the rubber tipped end.

I ditched the factory heated grips, as they never worked that great for me anyhow. If I do decide to put some back on, they will be the model sold by Aerostitch or similar, I have heard that these work quite well, and all wiring is routed outside of the bars, which eliminates conflicts with brush guards etc. Right now, I am running a set of MX grips made by ProTaper, half waffle dual density.....and they feel great. The stock BMW grips were always too slippery for my taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTill
Guy they look great. You stated that you mounted a Pro Taper ATV high bars on the BRP mount.

2 questions

Do the bars hit the fairing at lock

What did you do for the heated grips and hand guards
HPMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:18 AM   #62
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

MoMan,

The new clamps have about .100" (2.45mm) more bite on the fork tube than the stock triple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMan
Can't tell because of the camera angle but, is the height/depth at the end of each side (where the fork actually clamps into) the same?
Old 03-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #63
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Bar Recommendations

Here is some info on bar selection for use with the SUB Mount:

I chose to use ProTaper Contour ATV High bars on my installation, and I am VERY happy with them. It is a very flat bar, with not much sweep.....cruising on the road is much more comfortable, and riding while standing is improved tremendously.

All of the following information is for ProTaper Contour bars (1 1/8 inch)that I think will work fine for this installation. (Comparing data with will give a good idea of what will work with other manufacturers as well.)

Bar Name W(Width) R(Rise) S(Sweep)

ATV High W-813 R-121 S-55

Pastrana FMX W-775 R-121 S-55 (Just a bit narrower than the ATV High)

Raptor W-813 R-143 S-86 (Has about .866" more rise than the ATV High, and 1.22" more sweep, I think this bar would work great if you are looking for a bar with more sweep.)

All bars that I have listed should work fine with the stock routing of the cables/wiring. Other manufacturers (Magura for example) make bars that have much more rise than the ones I have listed, and if you were to choose to use them, you might have to re-route wiring and cables to make them work.

Contact me if you have any questions,

Guy
Old 03-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #64
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,796
Any news on the production run?

bars and Sub mount have been ordered.

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #65
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sorry I missed this Mike, I don't seem to get emails anymore from AdvRider, I'll have to look into that.

Anyhow, material arrived yesterday, I will get them on the machine first of next week, along with the bolt on tower. Still 2-3 weeks out for delivery on both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodTill
Any news on the production run?

bars and Sub mount have been ordered.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:54 AM   #66
MoMan
PigPen

Oddometer: 664
I've got my order in too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPMGuy
...material arrived yesterday, I will get them on the machine first of next week, along with the bolt on tower. Still 2-3 weeks out for delivery on both.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #67
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Yea there has been some changes with the email notification here. I had to get a GMAIL acct to get my notifications. That seems to be working much better than my normal email acct.

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

77 BMW R90S Huh ?

Old 04-16-2008, 04:24 PM   #68
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update:

The next batch of triples are being machined as I write this, they will be finished up this week, and then shipped out for anodize. This means they should be ready to ship around the 25th/28th of April.

I have also finished the bolt on pin towers for the Scotts stabalizer, and hope to have them plated and ready to ship at the same time.

Here is a pic of the prototype:

Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #69
ADVnut
Still Looking

Oddometer: 177
Just as a FYI, I don't think these will fit the 88-90 GSs. The stock top clamp is recessed to allow the stem nut to grab on the threads of the stem.

Don't ask me how I know any of this. I just do.

Bummer.
ADVnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:21 AM   #70
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 23,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVnut
Just as a FYI, I don't think these will fit the 88-90 GSs. The stock top clamp is recessed to allow the stem nut to grab on the threads of the stem.

Don't ask me how I know any of this. I just do.

Bummer.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #71
ADVnut
Still Looking

Stage-- it may work on the 90, not 100% sure.

I may not be correct on the years-- but it would not work on my 88 and I know that the 89 is the same, not sure on the 90. I am trying to work out a work around.

Does your steering head bearing adjuster look like the one on Anton's site, or do you have the large 36mm closed nut?

Kinda like the one is this professional picture:

It sure is a sexy piece of work though!

Old 04-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #72
ADVnut
Still Looking

Also, if you have an aftermarket big tank, it may be a tight fit for the pin, but it could likely be adjusted to squeeze in. Does the PD tank sit as close to the steering head?

I think that the Tag Metals XT1 YZ Double Hi handlebar would be a great bar with a good reach, crossbar for GPS mounting, and subdued color.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:36 PM   #73
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

I'm thinking that since my bike is the Early 90 version, that perhaps I will see the same issue you do.

Do you think there's enough material to mill out the necessary? Guy?
Old 04-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #74
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVnut
Also, if you have an aftermarket big tank, it may be a tight fit for the pin, but it could likely be adjusted to squeeze in. Does the PD tank sit as close to the steering head?

I think that the Tag Metals XT1 YZ Double Hi handlebar would be a great bar with a good reach, crossbar for GPS mounting, and subdued color.
Says they taper from 11/8 to 7/8... thats good because I'd like to keep my grips and bashguards as is..but do you know where the taper begins? the inboard clamp on the TT bashguards is the one I'm thinking will be too small, depending...
Small issue, really, but I was curious.

I think that I have clearance for the welded pin between the stock tank and the steering neck.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:45 PM   #75
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Same here on my 90 GSPD, early 90 production

77 BMW R90S Huh ?