User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #76
ADVnut
Still Looking

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
I'm thinking that since my bike is the Early 90 version, that perhaps I will see the same issue you do.
Yup, that is the same as mine.

It may be tight to mill out on that front edge, especially with the radiused edge on the top side, but it could work and be as strong. The depth may also be an issue with the thickness of the new clamp. With the new clamp the stem is flush with the top of the triple clamp and I believe that it sits up above the stock clamp. It may still grab plenty of threads. Then again, all this could be BS--I'm no machinist.

I can ship out my stock clamp if need be.
ADVnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:04 PM   #77
ADVnut
Still Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
Says they taper from 11/8 to 7/8... thats good because I'd like to keep my grips and bashguards as is..but do you know where the taper begins? the inboard clamp on the TT bashguards is the one I'm thinking will be too small, depending...
Small issue, really, but I was curious.

I think that I have clearance for the welded pin between the stock tank and the steering neck.
I am not sure with the XT1 bar-- it is currently back ordered. With the Protaper Contour ATV high bar the bar starts getting fatter about 8 or 9 inches in. I think that there is a mount for the Acerbis (same as TT) handguards to mount on a fat bar. Guess I'll need those too.

The cross bar is important to me for the GPS-- there are some bolt on bars, but I think I could make one pretty simply with some loop clamps and a bar -- its not structural.

Yeah, I feel I may not have clearance for a welded or bolt on pin with the Acerbis tank.

Too bad I don't want a XR650, I wouldn't have these "problems".
Old 04-21-2008, 02:16 PM   #78
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,734
Just got to say it: you didnt have it upside down, by accident or something like that

Because I myself would NEVER do something like that
Old 04-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #79
ADVnut
Still Looking

Quote:
Just got to say it: you didnt have it upside down, by accident or something like that

Because I myself would NEVER do something like that

Yeah, it was the 1st thing I though of. I'd NEVER do something dumbass like that.

I even checked out the pictures in the thread and took it all off thinking I would flip it over. The hole is the same, plus it wouldn't look or work as nice with the wrong side up.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:28 PM   #80
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,833
1989-1990 GSPD

1990-1995 GSPD

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #81
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,734
well, this ought to be interesting.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #82
ADVnut
Still Looking

Quote:
well, this ought to be interesting.

I think from the Nissin brake adapter thread that Guy is out of town until the 28th. No big deal, just don't feel like putting it all back together.

Any of you post 1990 guys put yours together yet?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:06 PM   #83
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Whoops!

I missed the boat on this one, I made the poor assumption that the assembly was the same for all of the 100GS's. Obviously this is not the case. I have been talking to AdvNut, and he has been kind enough to ship out his triple, it should be here next week. I will get the dimensions off of his stock triple and machine a new clamp to accept the different stem nut assembly of the mid'90 and earlier models. Stagehand, I can do the same for you. (I think you two are the only ones that purchased a clamp for the "early" models.)

Going forward, I will get the dimensions from AdvNuts triple for the front headlight/gauge mounts and produce a clamp specifically for these models. Untill then, figure that these clamps are for the late '90-'95 models.

Speaking of which, I just got the next batch of clamps back from anodize today:

This version has changed a bit, it now has ~8mm more grip height on the fork tubes, and 4 pinch bolts. Pricing will increase to $165 (from $150) to cover the additional material costs etc.

I have made a few changed to the prototype bolt on tower to give more tank clearance, and have test fit it on my bike ('93 GSPD) It has considerably more clearance than the weld on tower, with 3+mm at the closest point (top). I hope to have them finished, plated and ready to ship next week.

HPMGuy screwed with this post 05-08-2008 at 10:01 AM
HPMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 09:12 AM   #84
ADVnut
Still Looking

Looks Great!

Us 88-90 guys just have the bastard GS stem setup I guess.

The bolt on tower won't work for us either because of the dust cover #9 in Cigars&Scotch's picture above goes exactly where the pin clamp bolts on.

C'mon Guy! Can't you just whip us up some complete replacement triple clamps top and bottom complete with stem to make us like the later models (but better?)?!

Also-- the headlight gauge mounts may only be an issue for the 88-89 guys with the headlight/speedo buckets. Not to many of those around compared to the later style. Let me know if pics would help.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #85
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, I am committed to get this setup to work for you early guys. There is a way, and I will figure it out.......

Some pics from the side would be great (like the bolt on tower pic last post) so I can see exactly what the stack of parts looks like on these bikes. (I cannot view the pics posted by Cigars&Scotch, they will not load on my browser.)

How tall is the dust cover? Is it stamped sheet metal, or machined part? Would it be possible to trim the dust cover down to expose the top of the stem where the bolt on tower would mount? On the later models, the lower stem nut (knurled part) is the dust cover also, but only extends down from the top of the stem tube ~2mm, which leaves about 10mm of stem tube to bolt the tower to. If the early dust cover can be modified, or a replacement made.....it looks as though the tower would bolt on without problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVnut
Looks Great!

Us 88-90 guys just have the bastard GS stem setup I guess.

The bolt on tower won't work for us either because of the dust cover #9 in Cigars&Scotch's picture above goes exactly where the pin clamp bolts on.

C'mon Guy! Can't you just whip us up some complete replacement triple clamps top and bottom complete with stem to make us like the later models (but better?)?!

Also-- the headlight gauge mounts may only be an issue for the 88-89 guys with the headlight/speedo buckets. Not to many of those around compared to the later style. Let me know if pics would help.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #86
ADVnut
Still Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPMGuy
Ok, I am committed to get this setup to work for you early guys. There is a way, and I will figure it out.......

Some pics from the side would be great (like the bolt on tower pic last post) so I can see exactly what the stack of parts looks like on these bikes. (I cannot view the pics posted by Cigars&Scotch, they will not load on my browser.)

How tall is the dust cover? Is it stamped sheet metal, or machined part? Would it be possible to trim the dust cover down to expose the top of the stem where the bolt on tower would mount? On the later models, the lower stem nut (knurled part) is the dust cover also, but only extends down from the top of the stem tube ~2mm, which leaves about 10mm of stem tube to bolt the tower to. If the early dust cover can be modified, or a replacement made.....it looks as though the tower would bolt on without problems.
You got it-- pics a coming.

The dust cover is a chromed stamped steel part. It could be modified. I was thinking it could just be notched, but it covers the entire area where the pin bolts.

Here is the exploded parts view in a more browser friendly format. #9 is the problem.

Here are some pics from the side. Pardon the mess, I am waiting on some parts.

Here is a picture to help understand the importance of the 2 holes in the upper clamp for the early headlight bucket guys:

#21 goes into the triple clamp.

Here is a pic of #21. It goes into the headlight/ speedo into the two black rubber grommets as seen below.

On my bike the same 2 holes in the triple clamp are used to mount the black metal dash board that hold the IMO and other crap.

Hope that helps. THANKS GUY!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #87
MoMan
PigPen

Oddometer: 666
If needed, I could check availability and send you a new dust cover.

Quote:

...How tall is the dust cover? Is it stamped sheet metal, or machined part? Would it be possible to trim the dust cover down to expose the top of the stem where the bolt on tower would mount?...
Old 05-01-2008, 08:37 PM   #88
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the pics AdvNut!

It looks as thought the dust cover will be easy to modify, (I should have had you send that along with the triple.) I can machine the excess off, then the bolt on tower should work just fine. From the picture, it looks like it will clear your tanks also.

Quote:
If needed, I could check availability and send you a new dust cover.
MoMan, that would be great! PM me a price on a half dozen if available. If they are reasonably priced, it would be more economical to modify them, than machine new. I know you have been waiting on a triple, are you the owner of a '88-'90 also?
Old 05-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #89
elmoreman
takin' a break, boss

Oddometer: 1,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVnut

Here is a picture to help understand the importance of the 2 holes in the upper clamp for the early headlight bucket guys:

#21 goes into the triple clamp.

Here is a pic of #21. It goes into the headlight/ speedo into the two black rubber grommets as seen below.

On my bike the same 2 holes in the triple clamp are used to mount the black metal dash board that hold the IMO and other crap.

Hope that helps. THANKS GUY!
Although it isnt as clean as a direct install, you could just bend some flat steel from the hardware store and make some brackets. I had to do that to fit the early headlight shell onto a DR650 top plate. There were some holes already on the DR part. After the brackets were painted black, it is hard to notice the modification.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:46 PM   #90
MoMan
PigPen

Oddometer: 666
No, mine is a '92 but I do have the PD 8.5 gallon steel tank from the earlier models, but that shouldn't be an issue with your triples. I'll check tomorrow and PM you.

Quote:
MoMan, that would be great! PM me a price on a half dozen if available. If they are reasonably priced, it would be more economical to modify them, than machine new. I know you have been waiting on a triple, are you the owner of a '88-'90 also?