User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #91
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Pre '90 vs. Post '90 GS Triples

AdvNut's triple(bottom) arrived today.....and it turns out that it is almost identical to the later model(top).......

The only difference between the two is the diameter of the stem bore, and the counterbore for the stem nut. So, I will machine the stem bore on the new triple to match the specs of AdvNut's triple, and they will be good to go for the Pre '90 owners.

The spacing and location of the holes used to mount the headlight/speedo assembly on the early models are correct on my new triple, but I will have to machine up some spacers that will move the mount point forward of the leading edge of the clamp. After these simple mods, these clamps will work correctly for all '88-'85 GS models.

Now for the bolt on Scotts tower on the early models.......

MoMan has some dust covers on their way to me, I should see them next week sometime. I will trim them down in height to allow room on the stem to mount the bolt on tower. These will be included with the tower kit for the '90 and earlier GS models.

Here is a pic of the complete setup, including bolt on tower, on my bike:

HPMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:51 AM   #92
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,829
Thanks to all the guys involved with getting the T/C all set up for us 90 and older owners.

Guy
Please put me on the list for one of these pre-90 units

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 05:06 AM   #93
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,175
Yeah, Thanks a Lot! I am looking forward to doing this.

Guy- did you take off the welded pin on yours to get the bolt-on worked out?
Old 05-08-2008, 09:07 AM   #94
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigars&Scotch
Thanks to all the guys involved with getting the T/C all set up for us 90 and older owners.

Guy
Please put me on the list for one of these pre-90 units

Yeah, thanks to all for the help in getting through this little hangup!

C&S, You're on the list....I know you also want a bolt on tower kit, so I will contact you when they are ready to ship....I hope next week sometime.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:17 AM   #95
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
Yeah, Thanks a Lot! I am looking forward to doing this.

Guy- did you take off the welded pin on yours to get the bolt-on worked out?

The weld on tower is history.....I had to remove it to do the check fitting of the bolt on tower. And now that it is installed, I think it is every bit as rigid as the weld on........if not more. I really made an effort to make a stout pin mount, and I think the results are better than expected, plus it has considerably more tank clearance vs. the weld on.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:00 PM   #96
ADVnut
Still Looking

Oddometer: 177
For the 88-90 guys-- I got Guy's updated triple clamp, dust cover, and pin mount yesterday and fitted it all this evening. It works great-- pics to come.
ADVnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:43 PM   #97
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oh, My god! Its the end of May already

Must... get... off....ass.....
Old 06-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #98
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Update for those waiting for Triple/Damper Kits:

I am now an official Scotts Performance dealer, and will be able to offer the entire setup including Triple, Damper, Sub Mount, Pin Mount, and Handlebars in kit form. I will have pricing finalized by this Monday (need to clarify a few things with Scotts), and will post here with some pics of the kits.

So...for all those on the wait list, the complete kits should be able to ship out this coming week. Thanks for your patience.

Glad to hear it went together well AdvNut.....looking forward to the pics!
Old 06-01-2008, 12:12 PM   #99
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Thats what I was holding off for. I'd rather single source the whole shooting match. Be in touch next week, then I guess.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #100
ADVnut
Still Looking

Wow! Great to hear that you can now supply an entire package. Sure would have saved me hours of wreckless ebay bidding.

Below are some pics of the setup for the early bikes. It was very straight forward and goes together well. I had plenty of room for the bolt on pin tower, which was my main concern.

I did have one little problem with the handlebar unit housings. I could not get them to fit on the bars at all. It was hot as hell out and I tried to force when I should have finessed. I got a big ass screwdriver to try and slightly bend open the housing, but all I succeeded in doing was breaking the cast aluminum housing. Thankfully I learned my lesson on the cheaper left unit. For you early guys: FYI-- the housings are not the same as the later models. They are different, more expensive, and backordered.

So either file, mill, drill the hole out of both housings to fit over the bar.

ADVnut screwed with this post 06-02-2008 at 04:22 AM
Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #101
HPMGuy OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pricing

The complete kit will include: (Prices as purchased individually.)

New Top Triple Clamp ($165)
Scotts Off Road Damper, with Reverse Mounted Arm ($330)
Sub Mount (Available in Scotts Grey or Black) ($129)
Bolt On Pin Tower with Pin ($105)
Rubber Cones (4) ($12)

Price when purchase as a kit: $695 including shipping in the lower 48.

(Owners of Pre'90 models will also need to trim their dust cover to allow room to mount the bolt on pin tower, or purchase one ready to go for $15)

I will not be offering handlebars with the kit....there are just too many bend/color choices to keep everyone happy.

All components are ready to ship....let me know if you have any questions.

(Edit: I had initially posted the incorrect kit price, as I didn't catch that my computer had automatically added sales tax to one of the kit items.)

HPMGuy screwed with this post 06-06-2008 at 12:29 PM
Old 06-04-2008, 05:59 AM   #102
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

PM sent!
Old 07-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #103
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,829
I just intalles Guys setup on my 90 PD. What a sweet setup!!

I used the Pro Taper Contour ATV High bars (sorry Jason) and they fit great. You do have to file the ends of the bar to get the BMW switch assemblies on. Nothing that a Dremel tool can't handle.
I used the Aerostich heated grip assembly with BMW grips. I just cut the existing wires close to the connector and soldered them up. The stock and the Stich uses a 2 wire setup, so it's prettu easy. I used Kapton tape under the left bar to insulated it a little and also used some of the tape to hold the Stich elements on the bars. Then some of the old lady's hair spray and slide the grips on.

Now I need a cross bar to hold my GPS. Any know where I can get a cross bar for a fat bar?

Picts tmr.

Great job Guy!!

No make another batch of rear trays!!! Please

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 05:49 AM   #104
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigars&Scotch
I just intalles Guys setup on my 90 PD. What a sweet setup!!

I used the Pro Taper Contour ATV High bars (sorry Jason) and they fit great. You do have to file the ends of the bar to get the BMW switch assemblies on. Nothing that a Dremel tool can't handle.
I used the Aerostich heated grip assembly with BMW grips. I just cut the existing wires close to the connector and soldered them up. The stock and the Stich uses a 2 wire setup, so it's prettu easy. I used Kapton tape under the left bar to insulated it a little and also used some of the tape to hold the Stich elements on the bars. Then some of the old lady's hair spray and slide the grips on.

Now I need a cross bar to hold my GPS. Any know where I can get a cross bar for a fat bar?

Picts tmr.

Great job Guy!!

No make another batch of rear trays!!! Please
Nice! Cant wait to do mine. You got the Bolt-on tower? Looking forward to pics.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:00 PM   #105
ADVnut
Still Looking

Quote:
I could not find any bolt on cross bars that I thought would work. Touratech has a few models and TwistedThrottle sells one, but don't seem to be for fat bars. Tag Metals makes a fat handlebar that comes with a cross bar.

After looking at pics, I decided it would probably be easy to make my own. The ones for sale, just consist of a bar with flattened ends and 2 loop straps to fit the diameter of the bar. McMaster Carr sells loop clamps of all different sizes that would work. I was going to buy the stainless ones. I haven't gotten around to ordering up the stuff yet. I was going to buy some aluminum tubing from McMaster and then flatten and grind the ends. All it would do is hold a GPS mount.

Kinda like this:

OT: the plastic channel straps work really well to keep the oil cooler lines apart and from rubbing each other.