ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
raindog OP
dharma bum

Oddometer: 16,990
relocating back to southern Cal..school advice

well. looks like my days in the PNW are numbered and I'm heading back to Southern Cal after 10 years. I used to live in Santa Monica, Venice LA and Pasadena.

this time around I won't be making near the money and will be a single dad co-parenting our incredibly awesome 4 year old.

soon to be EX is working based out of Costa Mesa, I will hopefully be working in the west side santa monica, culver city, maybe as far south as the airport.

I'm looking for advice on the best school districts between those two areas and suggestions on where to live. Things have changed a lot since I was there.

thanks in advance for any advice!
raindog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220
What age ranges? (grades?) I grew up in Mar Vista. Whoops just saw age. I would suggest, Mar Vista Elementary, if you end up in that area.

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
raindog OP
dharma bum

one child age 4.5

He's got till next year for kindergarten.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Are you looking to rent or buy? Any area your leaning more towards? My BIL works for the Santa Monica Malibu School District, I could find out the better schools if you want. LA Unified School District is spotty at best.

Old 09-22-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
raindog OP
dharma bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer
Are you looking to rent or buy? Any area your leaning more towards? My BIL works for the Santa Monica Malibu School District, I could find out the better schools if you want. LA Unified School District is spotty at best.
we will both be looking to rent at first. I would like to be close to the west side but it's all about the schools really. I would love to hear what your BIL says. I hear there is a lot of change coming with the charter schools. My friends in Mar Vista..their girl goes to school in Sanmo.

so How's redondo these days?
Old 09-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog
we will both be looking to rent at first. I would like to be close to the west side but it's all about the schools really. I would love to hear what your BIL says. I hear there is a lot of change coming with the charter schools. My friends in Mar Vista..their girl goes to school in Sanmo.

so How's redondo these days?
Rents actually come down a tiny bit because of the economy. Venice and Santa Monica are both rent controlled. I'm a bit biased to the Westside because it's where I grew up. I won't see my BIL till this weekend but I'll ask him about the better schools in Santa Monica. I love the South Bay. Such a laid back attitude. I'm in south Redondo, right next to Fisherman's Wharf. I'm pretty close to school so its near perfect right now.