ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2008, 08:05 PM   #166
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,308
Hey Bob, what happened? Why did you leave early?

Looks like I could have taken my YZ250 green sticker? Glad to see you guys had a great time!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #167
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,376
"quote"After riding on deep sand for miles and miles, we ended up on a bigger pile of sand. There's so much sand that you have to like it.

Ben was a pretty good rider (or maybe because he's on a lighter bike). He showed us how to ride on sand, and it wasn't really that difficult, except when you get stuck. "

SAND.... my nemesis.... sign me up for lessons next time out
Old 04-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #168
2old2race
I wana ride

Oddometer: 1,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2race
Hey Bob, what happened? Why did you leave early?

Looks like I could have taken my YZ250 green sticker? Glad to see you guys had a great time!
I forgot that the back side of a dune doesn't look like the front side. I figured that out as I launched into the abis. XR's don't fly to bad but land like shit. I think the front tire hit first, then face, then shoulder. Nothing 4 vicodin and a six pack won't cure temporarily.

Bob
'08 KLR650
'07 Tiger 1050 - Gone
'98 XR440 - Getting a frame up rebuild
'89 XR250 - Needs a Lic Plate
2old2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:01 PM   #169
optopilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Riders 7- Dunes 2

Hi guys; we rode the dunes today. What a gas! Yes; the dunes tried to swallow us and our bikes but we came through victorious. By the way great pics!! I got home about 9:15. Had to unload and have dinner. Tom ought to be getting home about now(10:50 PM). It's been great. Great to meet you guys. All of you guys. Great fellowship by all. Thanks to Tom for recommending such a great trip. We met the guys that ran the whole Mojave Trail today and Tom got names and numbers. We think we will plan a more organized trip to do the trail this time next year. Thanks again to all for making a most memorable weekend! PS: Layne and Steve; are you home yet?
optopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:36 AM   #170
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 1,504
We're home! Today just got better and better! Has 364 days passed already? Is it time to go again? I felt like I've learned so much over the last few days than all the time I've been riding! I am confident in saying that we're all better riders because of this trip!

Top 2 tips: Gas Gas and more Gas, when in doubt, gas it! Let the bike move and do its thang. The bike and sand felt great in high rpms 3rd gear or low 4th....felt like riding on clouds!

You know a ride was good if there aren't too many pictures of it! I think we'll all try and post what we have and I know I'll write more later. Time for a hot shower and good nights rest!

PS...I had to edit because I had to mention great pictures so far! I think I have only 2 myself.
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:04 AM   #171
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,708
Home alive and well...

Had a blast, just checking in to say I am alive. GREAT time. Definately worth the miles, I think I got in around 0130 this morning... Late for work now, Ill post more later.

~

Michael
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:12 AM   #172
stevele5
knight errant

Oddometer: 1,104
what a trip

I have a whole new outlook on life. 3 day life change. I now am ready to teach jimmy how to ride. I felt like a rank armatures every time I started and by the time the day was nearing the end I thought myself to be invincible. The DR performed like a champ, swallowing up every woop and powering through DEEP sand. Layne went from chump to champ in a short time, he was riding the x with grace and confidence. I believe Layne has the ultimate dual sport, (save the seat). Thank you Tom for a look at a new environment and plans for another trip down there. Thanks especially to Dillon and trace who were very hospitable and kind in the sharing of hotel like conditions in a hostile world (wind). Montibanks became the back who everyone climbed on, what a trooper he was. Talk about your team effort, the job of getting everyone home with their respective equipment became a monumental undertaking done with the greatest of ease. The trip was in itself one large dichotomy. The sand being the foundation of all things backwards. Slow and careful, down you go, fast and careless up you stay!!!
breakdown in a terrible spot, get towed by a wild old man who does not believe in looking back in life or at the dumbass he is towing. lock the phone,borrow a fello desert travelers, need a number call the garage wall, need a call back check with e guy riding off on the quad, need a trailer one is on the way, need an ecouraging word on a desert adventure check with the grouchy waitress, need some young female interaction check out the denny's in tahachapi, need a ride in the trailer, dont woory one last gas stop and they wiil see you, forget your phone dont worry all communication is handled almost magically. think you need starbucks, you dont. think your truck wont work it does, think she may be mad when you get home she is not only not mad but very glad, (very glad). 704 mile of pure fun, I could have stayed on the dr for...................eternity, I am very sad the "chain" of events took place the way it did, and on the other hand, well it was neat to see the guiding hand of providence watching over the lot of us, I have no other explanation for the unfolding of events and the safety of all involved. Thanks go to Steve for slaving over the hot stove and preparing and cleaning. Thanks to all the riders, when I fingd my camera I will have a comment on everybody at the show. Ron, nice air up the jagged hill, steve slow down I dont like being outrun by a 400, to you need to take it easy on that speed machine, husafast. Next time I take the road to kandahar I will snap some pics to prove we were there, roadside bombs and all, we used the force to get through the check points more to come, thank you guys see you all next time...

ps anybody have a pre 96 motorlaying aroud

Rule # 2 Spy the guy in your eye before you fly at the Y.

slow is smooth, smooth is fast

http://www.centralvalleyds.com/

stevele5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #173
lsellers
a DSRIDER

Oddometer: 1,504
Could not have said it better myself Steve!
lsellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #174
Quadsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Afton "adventure"

I must say what an awesome trip! even with all the mishaps it all worked out. had montibaks not left on thursday by himself dylan and i would have been stranded in tehachapi and might not have made it. had we not gotten the call and yhe infamous man on the quad not turned around steve might not have made it home. a quad towing a dr through the desert i would have loved to see that and take pictures. had dylan not needed gas layne might not have made it home. you can break our bones our bikes but you cant break our spirit, we were going to make it home even if it ment five guys on two quads riding down the side of the highway. but it didnt have to come to that i glad everyone made it home safe. thanks to our fearless leader for pushing through his sickness to make this happen, another example of the human spirit. thanks to optipilot for making breakfast, although i not sure about green beans in breakfast burritos but to each his own. thanks to montibanks for just being montibanks! and thanks to everyone just for being there and making the trip a success.

Quadsport
Quadsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #175
Quadsport
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
pics

Attachment 160796 the dunes!Attachment 160797 some of the group[ATTACH]Attachment 160799[/ATTACH]the food!Attachment 160800steve hauling ass!Attachment 160801the dr almost made it home!Name:  desert 08 075.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  90.5 KBthe x chalange fuals victim ass well!
Quadsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:52 PM   #176
Norsman
...a GSophile

Oddometer: 2,347
Nice place... I guess I was camped right next to you... just about.

That water crossing was fun!
Norsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #177
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,964
What a trip it was. Thanks to Ron for putting it all together. This was my first advrider group ride. After all the great people that I met It will not be my last. Now I have to go out and buy a street legal bike. Thanks to Rich Ill try to pick up a dr650. He let me ride his dr without even thinking twice. For the people that have not seen Rich's dr it really nice looking with good farkle. BOB I hope you heal up fast thanks for showing me around the first day. I hope I didnt slow you down to much. Steve thanks for the grub and the cooking. When I first found this ride I kinda wondered why some of you were riding/driving so far. It turned out the the riding offered a little bit of everything. But what really think made this event was all the good folks that showed up. Thanks for making me and the kids feel welcomed. Ill see you guys at the next ride. Ben

Ben99r1 screwed with this post 11-04-2008 at 05:26 PM
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:15 PM   #178
montibank
Happy

Oddometer: 2,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevele5
...when I fingd my camera I will have a comment on everybody at the show...
Steve,

Your camera is in my truck. Call me if you want to come grab it.

Lane,

Your helmet and gloves are in my truck. I am not going to make it to Rob's today. Call me on my cell phone, I live not far from Rob if you want to drop by and pick them up.

I am soo tired. I am going to bed the moment my wife walks in the door tonight at 2000. Got to bed around 0230 last night and up at 0630. Next time I need to take the day off after a ride!

~

Michael
montibank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:53 PM   #179
tr1200 OP
High Side

Oddometer: 862
Norsman-
I thought that might have been you. Before I figured it out you were gone. Sorry I didn't introduce myself.
And thanks for the pic's guys! My camera broke so thanks for posting.
Nice meeting all you guys and we'll have to hook up again.
Tom
have to edit- my boss cut the post short earlier. I hope Bob's feeling better. Thanks to all for making the ride great and for sticking it out through the "rock-garden" on saturday. I never thought I'd be praying for SAND! The balls-out 40-mile run from Kelso back to Afton gave me more experience (and thus confidence) in powdery blowsand than I've ever had. Glad we all survived!

If we can do this next year I will try to be more organized so we don't get separated and we'll get to see more country- like Cedar Canyon and Lanfair Valley. See you all soon.
Tom

tr1200 screwed with this post 04-07-2008 at 05:45 PM
tr1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:51 PM   #180
optopilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
This old man ;

This old man; he played nine;he feels great pain in his thighs; with a nick-nack patty-whack giva dog a bone; this old man came smiling home. This was one of the best weekends I have ever had! Thanks guys. PS: i'll post pictures tomorrow. Not many though; I was too busy riding.
optopilot is offline   Reply With Quote