Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
ktm2racing2001 OP
backflip

Oddometer: 6
extreme funduro make over.

hello,

I am new to this forum and bmw. So my dirt biking buddy convinced me to get into adventure riding as he just completed the tat. I found a really good deal on a funduro. I like the rotex engine and it is smoother and has more power/torque than klr, drz, and my fav. ktm. so ive decided to keep the funduro! But it needs some serious changes to fit my riding style. Im looking to change my tire to 21 inch/fender, seat I have a corbin if anyone wants to trade for a stock!!!, rear suspension has much to be desired, radiator gaurd and, some other small things. So the big question is what will fit the funduro?? i am willing to go with any brand or even put dirtbike parts on the funduro! i have been reading somewhat on front end changes and stuff but i i havent found a hit on all these issues. Thanks for your suggestions!.

P.S i am not rich... I would like to keep everything on budget thanks.
ktm2racing2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,074
I think the yamaha yz front end swap is doable. Check all balls racing for a list of bearings interchanges so you can see what bikes use the same diameter stem. Stem length will vary however. Buy an entire front end off a bike complete down to the brake line, wheel, caliper, master cylinder etc. you may find a dirt bike brake unsuitable for the bike weight as well and go to a bigger rotor and caliper relocation bracket. There are a few complete front ends for sale here, probably around $500-750 for all the parts. Cheaper if you shop it around

If you increase front end travel a lot you'll probably want to do the back and this is where things get expensive. You could buy a better shock, lengthen the swingarm etc.

I've done 3 complete suspension swaps onto street bikes and none of them were budget friendly. But they work well. Actually still building the third right now but all indications point to it being the best one yet. I have a build thread in the some assembly required if you want an idea of how a simple swap morphs into a full blown redo

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,384
Why didn't you just buy the KTM again?

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
TexBiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 815
My wife has a '97 Funduro. Fantastic little bike.

Our neighbor had a '98 with WR450 front-end, but the cost of the conversion was more than either of us paid for the bikes themselves. Plus, we never found a place where his bike could go that ours couldn't. In the end, he was disappointed with the conversion since it was still a heavy, street-oriented dual-sport. Adding a 21" wheel and better front suspension wasn't enough to overcome that issue.

As always, YMMV...

-Mark Twain
TexBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
ktm2racing2001 OP
backflip

thanks for your input ill check out some yz stuff! triplenickle i would have liked to get ktm but i could not find one in my price range
Old 05-08-2013, 12:56 PM   #6
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool

Oddometer: 2,937
You do realize that BMW stands for Bring More Wallet?

I think you would be better served by trading the Funduro for a Dakar instead of dumping a pile of money into a conversion. I've got a BMW XChalleng that I have put 2 or 3 times what I paid for the bike into fixing the shortcomings of the bike.

Or just put some knobs on it and ride!
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #7
MadM
Dreamer

Oddometer: 145
Maybe these threads will help you a bit:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399113 Yamaha forks on a BMW F650GS Dakar

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551375 BMW F650GSR - Rallye Project Bike
MadM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:39 PM   #8
ktm2racing2001 OP
backflip

thank you for all your input! So basically heres my decision after riding the funduro all over the place for a while and trying some other enduros. I am going to do some basic upgrading on the suspension so it can withstand the torment and some nice nobbies and ride! I do to much b%&#$ing and not enough riding!! this funduro has impressed me. I put a acerbis evo high supermoto fender on it and a staintune exhaust thus far. ill save the single trac to the dirtbike :) this bike will do great for the dual purpose.

I am looking for a better suited seat i have a corbin if theres anyone out there to trade!

Im still having an issue trying to find on some sort of radiator guard, or upgrade this is a big concern of mine.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #9
ktm2racing2001 OP
backflip

i found the makeover fix!

I got a dr 650 haha. the funduro was a great bike im gonna miss it.

the dr
Old 08-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Good luck with the DR. I thought that old Funduro looked kinda nice and clean ... but obviously in your capable hands it wouldn't have lasted long.

The DR will take abuse much better than that BMW ... I never trusted those spindly forks on the Funduro. But hey noob ... first you say you're broke ... then you buy a Staintune pipe (one of the MOST expensive ... and heavy!) and complain about a Corbin seat ... a $400 seat ... which, once you're not a Noob anymore ... you would have found you need ... unless you're adventures only go as far as the local MX park or 7/11 on Friday night?

For real travel ... real ADV travel ... the Corbin is the bomb.

Your new DR looks a bit suspect. Hope it's OK. You've got a '96 or '97 purple frame with (I believe) a newer tank??? The fork boots are missing. So ... question is, what other "improvements" did the previous owner do your you? Hopefully nothing too expensive to correct!
Did he tell you "It's Fast Man!" BTW, never believe the ODO reading. Takes 30 seconds to disconnect Speedo cable!

On the BIG DR650 thread we see this a lot: new owner of DR, previous owner may have done poorly thought out mods or perhaps tuning done by a moron?

If you have problems ... before you start "experimenting", drop by for help on the BIG DR650 thread. Some good guys and good advice there.
The DR650 is very hard to kill ... but I can already see you'll be giving it your best shot! It can take it.

It's got a TON of aftermarket support. Lots of items for sale here on Flea Market (Parts). Some great deals if your patient and diligent. have fun!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote