Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
...Pictures?
LED lights on order - week or two

Upgraded magneto backing plate - week or two

Major rewire / simplification - when the gear turns up

Clutch tweak for easier neutral location

Hopefully I'll be through these tasks in a month. Just bought a boat that needs a little TLC but it's the right tool for the job also so there's no shortage at projects at my place. Some good engineering ahead as opposed to the shitty little rebuild I had to do today replacing/rebuilding the drive hub on a power window assembly - not a fan of bonded rubber cush drives - steel good

Pics of the "work in progress" bike when it's out of rehab
Lenz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:09 AM   #168
Lenz1
Gnarly Adventurer

The TT350 evolution continues -

- upgraded stator/backing plate with 2 mega lighting coils hooked up in parallel

- 12V DC regulator with AC to DC bridge rectifier (very std)

- LED light bars x 2 (10w Cree LEDs x 4 @ 900lumens ie 3600lumens each bar)

The backing plate is installed, rectifier/regulator mount fabricated and installed, lights are waiting at the Post Office due to a public holiday tomorrow - bugger

I'll pull some wiring through tomorrow and take some additional pics when I get the lights after the holiday tomorrow.

The clutch has been massaged with the steels lightly ground on a flat steel plate with kerosene on 600 / 800 grade wet and dry sandpaper. Just a light touch on the friction plates - enough to remove the high polished areas. Total pack height is approx 1mm less than the maximum height so I added 1.0mm high tensile flat washers under the clutch springs to maintain correct spring load.

We'll see how the clutch works out after a little bedding in.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:31 AM   #169
Ted farkas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Lenz,

How did it workout, and can you supply info on the oil cooler. Thanks

Thanks
Ted
Ted farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #170
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:24 AM   #171
Lenz1
Gnarly Adventurer

My apologies for not posting pics of the finished job - that's cause it's not quite finished.

The electrical / lighting upgrade is finally done - what a bloody marathon - one of the new LED lights was fine just off a battery but when the bike was running it was blowing 35amp fuses. I was convinced I'd screwed up with the combination of AC and DC systems but eventually I found the light was shorting down to earth with engine vibration. So now we have 4 x 10watt CREE LEDs in a flood pattern as low beam plus an additional tighter pattern 4 x 10watt CREE LED as a combined HIGH beam (high beam = 80watts of CREE LED) And yes I am very satisfied with the results. It's hard to show a down-the-road result in a pic but it's daylight ahead for several hundred metres.

The final task is finishing off a "cargo" platform to primarily carry the 12litre fuel bladder/s I sourced from liquidcontainment.com in SE Queensland plus reduce the main jets a touch.

End of the week and I think I'll be able to post pics of what will be close to the finished product - but we all know these critters are a work in progress ....
Old 08-12-2013, 04:19 AM   #172
Timmie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Lenz, you are a godsend. I'm in Queensland too and also have a TT350 (once I get the time to get it back from the old man). I want to convert it to 12V to make everything a bit simpler but I'm not looking to go as far as you and get new coils or anything.

Just wondering, with the original single wimpy coil, did it still put out over 12V before the rectifier? My plan was to (pretty much) replace the current 6v rectifier with at 12v one, put in a 12v battery, then just run all the lights straight on DC after replacing the indicators and possible taillight with LEDs. Would this be possible?
Timmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #173
Lenz1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmie View Post
Lenz, you are a godsend. I'm in Queensland too and also have a TT350 (once I get the time to get it back from the old man). I want to convert it to 12V to make everything a bit simpler but I'm not looking to go as far as you and get new coils or anything.

Just wondering, with the original single wimpy coil, did it still put out over 12V before the rectifier? My plan was to (pretty much) replace the current 6v rectifier with at 12v one, put in a 12v battery, then just run all the lights straight on DC after replacing the indicators and possible taillight with LEDs. Would this be possible?
The original electrical setup runs the ignition, headlight and taillight on AC and makes 6VDC - which rises much higher than 6VDC under revs - to power indicators, horn and brakelight. The regulator is an AC regulator only. I can't tell you what your voltages are gonna be because I don't know about the type of lighting coil on your bike. If you're gonna get creative my suggestion is to get busy with a meter first up.

You'll need a combined rectifier / regulator to convert the AC lighting coil output to manageable DC voltages. Be aware that the later TT350 AC lighting coils have a secondary circuit with a yellow lead and a white lead coming off the same larger format stator coil. The yellow runs the headlight, tail, instrument lights while the white goes into the rectifier to produce 6VDC.

You could try using the yellow lead on its own as the AC source for the regulator / rectifier then supply DC to battery and then on to lights. The two AC lighting leads yellow and white don't like being joined. My concern is that the 12V battery won't get enough regular charge to cope with the lighting demand and lack of alternator output at a fast idle / lower revs. Your solution puts you part of the way to a 12VDC lighting system and if it turns out there isn't enough DC charge available then the next stage is to delete the existing lighting coil and install one or more rewound stator coils from Betta Bikes in South Australia.

Depends on your usage - I wanted bulletproof reliability so I went to 2 large format stator coils, regulator / rectifier, 4ah flooded leadacid battery and the lights are good at ANY engine speed - including with the engine off. The LED headlights I installed have a claimed operating voltage range from 9VDC - 30VDC which could possibly be a good thing for a low output lighting coil set up. I just got fed up with "maybe this'll work" and went for something that worked everytime , all the time.

Lenz1 screwed with this post 08-13-2013 at 07:36 AM
Old 08-14-2013, 07:04 AM   #174
Lenz1
Gnarly Adventurer

Lenz1 screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 08:23 AM
Old 08-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #175
Lenz1
Gnarly Adventurer

No expert with posting pics so the above images are best viewed in full screen - start from extreme right and work to the left
Old 08-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #176
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenz1 View Post
No expert with posting pics so the above images are best viewed in full screen - start from extreme right and work to the left
8 lights? Must light up the night real good!!!
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #177
Lenz1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
8 lights? Must light up the night real good!!!
Like daylight for several hundred metres - worth every cent with suicidal wildlife at night in Australia. Also gives me something in reserve for those fools who refuse to drop their high beam for motorcycles. Almost as satisfying as riding at night with a few good size stones in a left-side jacket pocket .....
Old 08-15-2013, 07:01 AM   #178
oceansfiftyseven
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Lenz1, That is an awesome machine! Reminds me of Melanie Griffiths custom mustang in that old movie Cherry 2000 LOL! Thanks for sharing.
oceansfiftyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:33 AM   #179
Lenz1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceansfiftyseven View Post
Lenz1, That is an awesome machine! Reminds me of Melanie Griffiths custom mustang in that old movie Cherry 2000 LOL! Thanks for sharing.
I'm not sure if I should take your Melanie Griffiths mustang comparison as a compliment - or not LOL - glad you like it

The silence from the rest of the crew is kind of an anticlimax - what - not even any "We're all very dissappointed in you son" ....

A few little jobs on the list: rear chain guard to stop the chain lube being flung over me and the bike, two simple side mounts for a fishing rod (found a few backroads into some barramundi spots (saltwater sport/table fish), drop the carbie float level a touch or reduce the main jets a little.

It's time to enjoy this critter
Old 07-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #180
Kiba
Dances With Huskies

Oddometer: 128
I hereby resurrect this thread. No posts since 2013.... gee, TT350/250 owners must either be a lazy bunch or we're too busy out riding to post here.

Either way, I'd like to bring the TT350 back into the mix of projects, advice and general bullshitting that we do here on ADV.

In case anyone's interested, here's the project thread to my TT350.

I'd love to hear how Lenz's bike worked out, if he still frequents ADV.

I'm curious about performance mods to these bikes too. There doesn't seem to be much out there for them, but some arcane knowledge probably exists, somewhere.

I'm also looking to properly dual sport mine since we in the states received barely legal TT350s. The lighting kit is enough for a naked supermoto but I'm thinking of using my TT350 as a desert bike, possibly with hard panniers, and as such will need better lighting up front due to the darkness of nights out in the country, in back because it'll be loaded down with crap and the awkwardly placed dirtbike taillight isn't quite enough, etc.

Check the last post on my build thread for more details if you're interested.
1992 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit (project) 35,179 miles
Wolves do it in the snow.
Kiba is offline   Reply With Quote