ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #16
skwidd
where does this lead?

Oddometer: 16,603
Been through most of the eastern end and trails above it with a group of enduro guys.
Group of XR400's, CR250's, DRZ400, KDX200, KX250's, and a TW200.
I think we had 8-10 riders.
Guy on his wife's TW (instead of his own XR600) had the easiest time as it was geared really low, but all of the group are very skilled vet and senior enduro riders.
The toughest sections weren't very long, they just seemed that way, and the trails up above the actual Rubicon path are awesome.
Some of the Jeep guys were less than friendly when we were hopping up the walls to pass them, just jerks who wanted to start shit.
I have helmet cam footage of some of it laying around, especially interesting are the parts following one of the senior A guys up the walls and back down onto some crazy drop-offs.
We'll probably hit it again once the snow melts this summer.
skwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #17
rickf
oldfatguyMAN

Oddometer: 1,695
Brent,

Jeremy and I did it on our Trials bikes, it was a blast!
Carried extra fuel and did the whole thing in a day, it was waaay easy.

BTW, the jeep guys we encountered were very cool and fascinated when we would pull up and stop to wait for an opening without dabbing.

Rick

Originally Posted by rickf
Oh no, Robby's still a pendejo, but he's OUR pendejo!
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:46 PM   #18
riceless950 OP
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,228
If I was smart...

that's what I'd do. Scout it on the Gasgas first & then see if I still want to do it on the mighty 950. Yer a pretty smart feller there Rick. Thanks

"I have helmet cam footage of some of it laying around, especially interesting are the parts following one of the senior A guys up the walls and back down onto some crazy drop-offs."

skwidd, I probably don't have to tell you how cool that would be if you found & posted that vid!

riceless950 screwed with this post 02-11-2008 at 06:02 PM
riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #19
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Now if you got 10 guys with you who will help thru the hard spots and are a really good rider, you could do it. I think a BMW with those heads sticking out would have issues.

I did it 5 years ago with my wife on the back of my 640 Adventure. She did walk a couple hard spots. She did get bounced off once. She did have at least 20 bruises on her arse from that darn rack. The rest of my buddies were on mx bikes(the reason why I was even dumb enough to take a big bike was one of my friends didn't bring his bike. I loned him my wr250.) and all to my wife afterwards mumbling stuff like "I would be divorced if that was my wife".

If anyone comes up to try it I will ride with you on my yz450. I will also go take pics of the hard spots when the snow melts and post them if you want.
I'll bet anyone $50.00 and a awesome steak dinner by my wife(she will think your crazy for trying) you can't do it on a big adventure bike. Here's the rules.
1) Must start from Tahoe west shore down to icehouse road and back up highway 50 to the staging in Tahoma in less than 10 hours.
2)Can not drop the bike more than three times. No help picking it up.
3) you must do it before the Jeep Jamboree. They smooth out the trail for this so everyone can make it.
4) of course, I made these rules hard so I don't have to give you $$ but a valid attempt can still qualify for a good steak.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #20
riceless950 OP
Let's Ride!

How many miles is that & when is the Jeep Jamboree? 5 drops/ no help.

Also I would like to see your hard sections photos. I'm thinking this years snow pack is gonna make a mess.

riceless950 screwed with this post 02-11-2008 at 08:48 PM
Old 02-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #21
rickf
oldfatguyMAN

Brent,

Use your Trials bike so you can enjoy the ride. We've ridden together numerous times and I'm amazed where you take that 950 but this is a broke bike or emergency room trip waiting to happen.
It is a awesome, fun and scenic ride on a Trials bike and it would be a shame to miss the fun and tear up a nice 950.

Rick

Old 02-12-2008, 12:51 AM   #22
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceless950
How many miles is that & when is the Jeep Jamboree? 5 drops/ no help.

Also I would like to see your hard sections photos. I'm thinking this years snow pack is gonna make a mess.
Snow melt I think will kill it this year. All that snow melting running down the trails washing away the dirt making them rocks bigger see how this sentence just keeps running on just like how your day will be.

The trail is only like 22 miles. Then fireroad with rocks but still 4th gear stuff on my 250. Total milage is around 110 round trip. Maybe the last 30 miles are paved.

I'll call my jeep buddy and see when the jamboree is. Maybe I can get him to go as a sweep vehicle.

I don't think I have any pictures of the really hard stuff but I'll see what I can find.

Five drops and you gotta run stock gearing . Just kidding. My 640 had 16/50 and was too tall. Couldn't find my 14 or 15.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:51 AM   #23
riceless950 OP
Let's Ride!

rickf tahoeacr

Old 02-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #24
dustjunkie
Got Stick Meat?

Oddometer: 1,426
So, I guess I have learned from this thread that I need to get a trials bike before the jeep jamboree...

Roadtrip Rick???

Jake
Old 02-12-2008, 05:46 PM   #25
rickf
oldfatguyMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustjunkie
So, I guess I have learned from this thread that I need to get a trials bike before the jeep jamboree...

Roadtrip Rick???

Jake
That could happen this summer!

Old 02-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #26
tomfoolery
procrastinator

Oddometer: 120
Can't drop it more than 5 times? I dropped my CR250 about 50 times. I went into buck island resevoir last summer and it went quick and smooth until just past the small sluice box. The rock gardens before you drop down the slabs to Buck Island kicked my ass and killed the the expansion chamber on the pipe. I had headed in around 6:00pm and wanted to meet up with my friends who four wheeled in. I was worried about it getting dark before I got there. I made it easily but I was WORE OUT. Sorry, no pictures, I was too busy picking my bike up and kick starting it to bother to take any pictures of my misadventure.

In to small sluice is fun and Tahoe down to the springs is fun. I've done that a few times before and will do it again but I'll leave small sluice to Rubicon springs to the guys who enjoy really technical riding. I've done most of Fordyce Creek Trail(Sierra Trek)too, not real high on my fun list either. TOM
tomfoolery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:04 PM   #27
riceless950 OP
Let's Ride!

Thanks for sharing tomfoolery. I bet you look back on that run as being a good time. or not.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #28
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceless950
Thanks for sharing tomfoolery. I bet you look back on that run as being a good time. or not.
Don't try it Brent. You can't make it.

Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #29
skag
ResistsEnlightenment

Oddometer: 350
No trials bikes required. We first did the Rubicon on our '77 XT 500's.
We would ride from the Bay Area on a Friday night and camp at loon Lake. Do the Rubicon on Sat., camp around Tahoe (usually Blackwood canyon). Then do Hermit Valley and Highland Lakes trail on Sunday.
Highland Lakes is a fucking wilderness area now.
skag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:46 PM   #30
riceless950 OP
Let's Ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz
Don't try it Brent. You can't make it.

A classic example of very elementary reverse psychology. You see Jonz here knows I can't stand it when somebody tells me I can't ride something. Funny thing is, even though I know he's workin' me...it still works.