ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #31
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,386
Laugh Master Bait-ing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceless950
A classic example of very elementary reverse psychology. You see Jonz here knows I can't stand it when somebody tells me I can't ride something. Funny thing is, even though I know he's workin' me...it still works.
Just leave a note to let us know where to ship the body...

We'll pick over the nine-fiddy parts and keep the good ones for ourselves.

Pointman
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:09 PM   #32
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman0853
At the time, the record from the Loon Lake ranger station to Rubicon Springs was 48 minutes and held by the ranger on a KX200.

Pointman
Whoa ... flashback. I rode up there in '83 and talked with that Ranger. I still remember his green KX or KDX sitting behind the ranger station. I had a KL250 (4-stroke DS) at the time. I've done the trail a couple times on 4 wheels and it was easier than on two.

-dman
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 09:40 AM   #33
capt42104
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtoV
The Ellsworth brothers used to put on a big ride in the 80's, Rubicon Challenge. Used to draw abuot 50 to 60 riders as I recall. Went on a couple of them.
Hey i was there too! I grew up in Georgetown and we used to ride our XTs thru there once a year from 82-86. We could make Tahoe in a day then come back down Hwy 50. The trail got worse every year from the 4x4 traffic and we did a lot of chicken route riding to pass the jeeps and toyotas stuck/broken in the rocks. I can't even imagine what it looks like now! Every few years i go up to Loon lake and there are 100s of pick up trucks and trailers lined up from the spill way to the dam. The trail must be a traffic jam. Last summer i was fartin around and i noticed nearly every trail, other than the Rubicon, was closed/pending closure due to some Federal Court Order. I ran into a LEO on a quad and he handed me a hand out explaining the trail closures. Made me sick. Glad i don't live up there anymore, i would really be pissed off.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #34
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,875
Ive done the Dusy and Swamp on a old XR 350 geared down and also a Honda Rancher quad, either in a days time. Personal challenge yes, but not fun really, just to many rocks. Been toying with a trials bike which would be a gas as mentioned. Consider for those who say no problem when they did it 15 years ago. The trails are far more tore up and tougher. in the mid 90ies I did the Coyote lake then red lake trails in a full sized chevy 4x4 PU with just a 4" lift and 33`s and no power steering, there was also a stock dodge 4wd PU at coyote lake. Last time I saw the trail no way in haites could the same trucks make it.
Just do it, with the right bike that is.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #35
Dadd
Just another AARGHRider

Oddometer: 174
No problem... I did it a few years ago on my KTM440 EXC two stroke. Rode it from a lake at the end of Ice House Road. I was with a couple of guys who were pretty familiar with it and every now and then they'd say: "OK, do you want to do this part the easy way or the hard way?" Like a fool, I'd always opt for the hard way, and it was pretty challenging most of the time. Stuff had names, like "Little Sluice Box", which, as I recall, was a thirty foot wide canyon full of two foot diameter boulders that was roughly two hundred feet long. However, I had the impression that there was always an easier way around those parts. Another part I recall was, on the way back, Cadillac Hill which was a series of two foot high step-ups. After Cadillac Hill, we turned around and headed back, 'cause my guides said the rest of the route to Tahoe was too easy and would be boring. Hah.

I'd do it again. Riding on open granite is an experience not to be missed. Don't think I'd do it on anything less than a competent dirt bike, though. A trials bike would make it a piece of cake, I'd think.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:42 PM   #36
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Bring this up from the dead. The jeep jamboree is here. I've got some friends coming up next week to do this(the reasone why I'll miss WMRS on Sunday). I'll get riceless some pics.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #37
riceless950 OP
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,231
Thanks Bro. We'll still see ya Saturday, right?
riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #38
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceless950
Thanks Bro. We'll still see ya Saturday, right?
Hell ya. My bud is going to leave Rosamond at 9:00 am which I figure it will take him 6.5 hours to get here pulling his trailer. That puts him here at about 6:00pm(cause he never leaves on time). That should be enough time to ride down and do a loop. I should just come down there on Friday. I have to be here on Sunday though cause he is my welder and we have to go over building some headers.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #39
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,386
Talking

Don't forget to leave a will...

Pointman
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:28 AM   #40
riceless950 OP
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr
Hell ya. My bud is going to leave Rosamond at 9:00 am which I figure it will take him 6.5 hours to get here pulling his trailer. That puts him here at about 6:00pm(cause he never leaves on time). That should be enough time to ride down and do a loop. I should just come down there on Friday. I have to be here on Sunday though cause he is my welder and we have to go over building some headers.
Great. Your attendance will help improve an already heavy talent pool. There's gonna be some heavy hitters ridin' around Bishop this weekend! Are you making KTM or racecar Headers?
riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #41
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

KTM . Two step, equal length. The collector is a thing of beauty. These guys do awesome work. The math has been done for what the engine needs but it is so short it's gonna be probably impossible to fit on the bike. First system will be sticking straight out of the side just to try on the dyno.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:33 PM   #42
eombbear
RIMslayer

Oddometer: 59
Bet you don't know the SHORTCUT ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skag
No trials bikes required. We first did the Rubicon on our '77 XT 500's.
We would ride from the Bay Area on a Friday night and camp at loon Lake. Do the Rubicon on Sat., camp around Tahoe (usually Blackwood canyon). Then do Hermit Valley and Highland Lakes trail on Sunday.
Highland Lakes is a fucking wilderness area now.
About 2/3rds of the way up Cadillac Hill there is a shady area, wet from a spring on your right, if you incounter a bottleneck of jeepers in front of you at that point then just take a hard right up the wetness where you may find the ShortCut that cuts about 1.5 miles off the route out to Tahoe. I didn't make the ShortCut, just scouted and used it once in a while. Found it while studying the 1942 Geo. Survey Map of the area. Always wondered what the Jeepers thought when we disappeared up that route (not good for 4x4)?

Hey skag: Do you want me to show you that ShortCut on Aug. 9-10th weekend. We'll Camp at the McKinney Staging area. I got some buddys, Jimbo and Topo'Hill and maybe DressMan too? that may want to par-take. I'll take us on all the easy trails Tahoe-side Only. 'Rimslayer'
Old 07-31-2008, 10:47 AM   #43
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
Hike around and see first

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtoV
The Ellsworth brothers used to put on a big ride in the 80's, Rubicon Challenge. Used to draw abuot 50 to 60 riders as I recall. Went on a couple of them.
They still go regularly. I camped out nearby the Ellsworth Bros crew a few years back and the riders went up a ways but not the whole thing. I didn't go up since I don't have the skill or muscle mass needed.

You need skills and you need to be really fit.

Has anyone recently done the whole thing?

It's really pretty up there. Bring the Mrs. if she rides or likes to hike. There's less knarly trails in the area and there's plenty of action to watch on the con with a good hike.
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.

Super Suz screwed with this post 07-31-2008 at 10:58 AM
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #44
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

I went in there yesterday. Only went to the sluicebox or whatever they call it. Here are some pics of the easy stuff. At the hard stuff you have to keep your momentum or you will be strappin your bike on your back to get out. The night before I switched my stock 49T for a 52T that I had left over from my wr250. That was a bad decision as it made my YZ450 way too touchy on the throttle. Ended up using alot of clutch to control the throttle better. You have to be smooth.

you start on this side and go over the other side

not a very good pic but I took a cheap camera in there. Good thing cause it fell out of my fanny pack and I had to go back and find it.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:40 PM   #45
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer