ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2008, 04:57 AM   #16
rhino105
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
There won't be a problem. Most of the rangers are pretty good people, and lots of them are offroaders also. I have known this ranger since he was in junior high and he knows I can and will kick his ass if he causes anyone grief!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #17
perrib
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Great post. It is rough really rough in places. Since the fire the closure has restored a lot of its beauty as it was being overrun and ruined by fools. One of the tough spots an narrow off camber spot with angled erosion ditches dropping into a steep canyon was fixed by the cable company who turned part of the trail into a highway. It was a favorite trail when it warmed up as you could take a swim in Bartlett Lake run the power lines to Bushnell Tanks and over Reno Pass to Pumkin Center for lunch and then swim in Roosevelt Lake go up over Four Peaks and go home. The 92 XR 250L was perfect as it could go 160 miles on a tank. These days I'm to beat up to ride a bike so I have an off road rail. I was there in June with TRAL and the USFS and we drove all the roads out there to evaluate them for/with the USFS. I was also there Saturday looking for the trail from Four Peaks to the road that intersects 491 before the gate. No luck finding it.
I did take a few pictures http://youtu.be/OICFO9puEik
perrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #18
Nightstalker
YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer: 5,901
Thanks for the update perrib. Any idea when the NF will open this area up again? I'd sure like to check it out. Great video, by the way.

North American
Ride Report Index and GPX files at:

NSRides.com

Nightstalker rides North America 2007

snug htiw swoC
Nightstalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 AM   #19
perrib
n00b

TRAL (www.tontorecreationalliance.org) is working with the USFS on a plan to have it open by permit to groups on a limited basis. Most of the problem is the washes there flood often and violently and several people got killed trying to cross them so being open all the time is not going to happen.

perrib screwed with this post 08-05-2011 at 08:07 AM
Old 08-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #20
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightstalker View Post
Thanks for the update perrib. Any idea when the NF will open this area up again? I'd sure like to check it out. Great video, by the way.
You could make a right turn and go up the old 4x4 road to the Mt. ORD towers then blaze down the 'old road' on the northside of ORD, hit the highway for 1/4 mile then right turn down FR26 that parallels slate creek and will spit you out at 188/Punkin Center. It would be a nice big rocky loop around ORD (the gate near the top of the tower road might be locked all year long now).
Old 08-03-2011, 05:15 PM   #21
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by perrib View Post
TRAL (www.tontorecreationalalliance.org) is working with the USFS on a plan to have it open by permit to groups on a limited basis. Most of the problem is the washes there flood often and violently and several people got killed trying to cross them so being open all the time is not going to happen.
Your link didn't work for me. I remember Bushnell Tanks used to be a popular spot for large group campouts and church groups. The place just got over-used and trashed (like everything else from here to PHX). I remember a few different church group vans being washed down the river also, but this was lower down by Sycamore Creek. Bushnell was basically 45 minutes from town and the first spot for cool weather seekers...so it got hit hard.

We used to ride mtb up the ORD towers. The gate was never locked and this old guy named Gene was the tower watchman. If Gene wasn't busy watching fires he'd invite us up to the top to take in the view....another 900' feet off the ground. Awesome views of 4-peaks, Roosevelt Lake, Payson, and the Mazatals. A very cool area to ride and the traction from the shale-rock on the ground is an experience in itself.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #22
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,244
Memories. Thanks for the bump and update.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #23
perrib
n00b

It was a Boy Scout group that tried to cross the wash during a flash flood at Bushnell and got killed.
I fixed the link to TRAL. You might know some of the TRAL members as several of them are also members of the Rockstars motorcycle club. The tower at ORD is off limits as Homeland Security has a tower there. Mountain Lake Mountain has a tower you can still get invited to. On a clear day the fire spotter told me one can see Four Peaks.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:24 AM   #24
perrib
n00b

Want a chance to ride Reno Pass one more time? TRAL courtesy of the USFS will be at Reno Pass one more time. Tentative date is 10/21/2011. We have a meeting 10/12/2011 at the Mesa Ranger District office 5140 E. Ingram St. Mesa Az. @7pm. You welcome to attend and find out more.