User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2008, 03:06 PM   #1
PauHana OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Tiger vs V-Strom

Currently own an 06 Triumph Tiger with no plans to get rid of it. Am considering adding a DL650 to the pride.

Read quite a few posting on the V-Strom and sounds like a great ride.

Was wondering if anyone has rode both the Tiger and V-Strom? Tiger fits me well, am 6-1 with 34 inseam.

Am aware a difference in engine size but was wondering about the ride in general. Will use the V-Strom primarily as a commuter bike and as a ride for my son when he is home from college so want to do some limited touring along with some offroad. Nothing extreme.

My main problem is have not been able to find a V-Strom to at least sit on. My local dealer has none (carries mostly sport bikes, but hey thats what sells around here). Have possible found one about an hour away so sounds like a good excuse for a ride.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #2
Stretch67
Bent, But Not Broken

Oddometer: 4,635
I spent a couple weeks riding around Alaska on a rental 650 V-Strom. It's a well-built, very capable bike, but I was glad to get home to my Tiger.
XR400 Index
Stretch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:59 PM   #3
Jet Jaguar
King of the poseurs

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by PauHana
My main problem is have not been able to find a V-Strom to at least sit on. My local dealer has none (carries mostly sport bikes, but hey thats what sells around here). Have possible found one about an hour away so sounds like a good excuse for a ride.
Where in Florida are you, exactly? Check out the boards at Stromtrooper.com, specifically the "Florida Troopers" subforum. There's a very active group of Florida Stromtroopers, and there's a couple of upcoming gatherings (one in south FL, another in Ocala). You'll be able to check out in person a variety of V-Stroms in every permutation. You wouldn't be out of place on a Tiger either, there's usually a few non-Stroms on every ride. Last one I was on had a Harley and a pair of VFR's, for example.

It's not an adventure unless you need a tent, a passport, and a leather glove for your shooting hand.
'05 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom
Jet Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #4
PauHana OP
Adventurer

In St Pete. Thanks for the invite but already have rides schd for that weekend. Will keep an eye out for future posting
Old 02-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
OutbreakMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
The Tiger and Wee are very similar bikes in purpose. Personally I'd go something like a KTM 640Adv which will be a little better offroad.
OutbreakMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
rxcoop
persnickety curmedgeon

Oddometer: 1,656
i had an 04 dl650....put 20k on it. rode a tiger1050 on a demo at daytona last year. came back later that day and rode it again. came home and put down a deposit...

picked the bike up on april 16th and have put almost 10k on it so far. kept the 6fiddy for a while, just to make sure. decided i really didnt "need" 2 swiss army-type motorcycles.

admittedly, the 07 tiger is more street oriented, but then again, so is the 6fiddy. have ridden both on dirt roads, and didnt see too much difference. if i wanted something for off-road use i would not get another 90/10 bike to add to the stable....get something like the ktm, etc.
<applicant for "Official Pharmacist of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame" (r)>
rxcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:11 PM   #7
hunting1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Sock Puppet has both!
Old 02-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #8
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 10,243
They are pretty similar, I have taken spins on 1k's, the 650 will feel similar in size, but be a bit leaner on the power I suspect.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:42 PM   #9
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,265
I'm joining the crowd asking, "if you're going to own two bikes, why get another so similar to what you have?"

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #10
PauHana OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
I'm joining the crowd asking, "if you're going to own two bikes, why get another so similar to what you have?"

- Mark
Have been looking at some crusiers. Kinda flip/flopping on if I want one or not. However, the new Rocket III Tour could be an option in another year once I get work straightened out. Have ridden an RIII Classic Tour and it's a amazing bike, but not one I want for a commuter.

Not a real sportbike rider.

Did own a Bonneville (new version). May still consider another if I can find one, most the used one's i've seen local haven't been in the best shape. Don't like the changes they made in 08 with the tank and the badges, looks cheap.

Been watching cycle trader for used bikes. Not in a real hurry to buy so if something better comes along might pull the trigger. If I bought new today would probably be a V-Strom. It's a good price point for me currently.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #11
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,265
If you're looking for ideas here would be mine: If you don't want a sportbike, I'd go with a big road-burner (e.g., FJR) to give you weather, comfort, and long-distance capability beyond your Tiger, a dual-sport single (e.g., DR, DRZ, KLR, KTM) to give you more off-road ability, or hit the naked-bike/motard/hooligan-bike tangent with something like a Hypermotard, Duke, SuperDuke, DRZ400SM, WR250R, etc. The cruiser thing would be another area to go for, although it has little appeal for me.

A Strom is immensly practical and versatile, but if I had a new Tiger in the garage, I'm not sure I'd ride it much unless I was going serious adventure touring or something like this.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
Jonny955
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
06 Tiger vs 06 V-Strom

I have an 06 Tiger but I've recently ridden my mate's 06 DL1000. Although they are both intended for the same market they are actually like chalk and cheese. I'm biased, of course, but I prefer the Tigger. The V-Strom is also a great bike. In essence;

The Tiger feels smooth, sporty and nimble. It's a bit undergeared for high speed cruising though. Tall, out of necessity to create ground clearance for trails. Better brakes than the V-Strom

The V-Strom feels more like a touring bike but is rougher at lower speeds. The top gear only starts to make sense over 70mph. Headlight and adjustable OE screen are both magnificent. Ground clearance is not as good and it feels less suitable for trails. Better instrumentation than the TIger but poorer brakes (should be easy to improve though)

Both are very comfortable and well equipped bikes. I think they both fell out of the ugly tree but the V-Strom fell from a higher branch....so hit the ground harder!

Jon
Jonny955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #13
Ben-M
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I test rode both the tiger and vstrom before buying the vstrom. I liked the tiger, a lot, but was put off with the impression that it was much less likely to be happy on a gravel trail, and I can only afford one bike at this time.

Quote:
Will use the V-Strom primarily as a commuter bike and as a ride for my son when he is home from college so want to do some limited touring along with some offroad.
Given your situation however, the DL650 with ABS is not a bad idea really. The other I'd suggest having a look at is a used fuel injected F650GS with ABS. I think if my kid was old enough to ride I'd be very happy with him on the F650 due to the lower cog, lower power, and abs, and I'd be happy with it as a commuter due to the reasonable fuel efficiency.
Ben-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #14
weave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
likewise

have a gs and had a wee for my son to ride, thinking I would ride it also,something lighter than the gs.I rarely picked the wee over the gs,son got alot of good exp. Swapped the wee for a Vfr and now we both want the vfr.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #15
DireWolf
Knees in the Breeze

Oddometer: 10,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-M
I liked the tiger, a lot, but was put off with the impression that it was much less likely to be happy on a gravel trail, and I can only afford one bike at this time.
Different strokes - I have pushed my Tiger on gravel, and found it really well balanced when the tail breaks loose. And the triple applys crazy smooth controlable power on the loose. It's was rather shocking at first. Vstrom may be similar - I would not know.

DireWolf screwed with this post 02-12-2008 at 08:31 AM
DireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote