User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Muckpee OP
Noobie Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
G650xc Job#1 Aux Fuel Tank!

Update: The new thread is up in the vendors forum, if you want a tank please send a post to that thread (located here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...43#post8720543).

Hey Everybody, ive been a lurker for a while ( ithink the f800gs thread was only 90 pages long when i started) but I thought id better register since i bought a g650X Country yesterday. Plan on travelling Canada and the U.S. all summer long after i graduate in april (until i run out of money).

Anything i should know about this bike? THe first thing i am going to do is extend the range of this bike between fillups! I plan on doing this using plastic molding so the tank will be light, abrasion resistant and affordable to make. I also am going to design it so the bike can refuled in a jiffy. Mounting it snugly wont be a problem but failing my midterms beacuase i oogled my bike too much is another story!

My brother is in industrial design so he's been helping with the look of the tank so far. Shown is a quick photoshop of the shape of the tank (roughly). The fuel cap will be somewhere near the upper back part of the tank and mounting wont require drilling or cutting anything.

What has everybody else done to extend the range of their bike? Other than the touratech tank for the challenge i havent seen anything!
Attached Images

Muckpee screwed with this post 01-02-2009 at 10:46 PM
Muckpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 6,625
How many extra litres of fuel do you estimate this tank will hold?
Are you going to be making more than one?
Old 02-10-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
Muckpee OP
Noobie Adventurer

I want it to be somewhere inbetween 7-9 litres in capacity so a range of 480kms is attainable. Im in the process of making prototypes right now. After i test them and do any necessary changes , it would be possible to output as many as i want from the same mold. I also want this tank to look almost stock and be removable for in city cruising. THe plastic can also be colorized to match the color scheme of the Xmoto and Xchallenge but im not that far yet, i just want a black one right now.

If you have any ideas that im overlooking speak up! I was also thinking a small auxilary tank and storage combination type of system could even be possible. Almost anything is possible with plastic molding.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Thumb

Max Cool is already testing the prototype!!!!!

LINKY

Old 02-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,051
If you hurry up and buy one soon, BMW Canada has lowered the price on the remaining 07's to $8250. The bike has a proven engine, and the 3 year unlimited mileage warranty is a big plus.

You'll most likely want a bit more wind protection, and there's a windshield that you could get.

I'm in line for Max's tank for the X Challenge, but let's see what you can come up with
Old 02-10-2008, 06:10 PM   #6
haggeo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
http://www.nomadtanks.com.au/

these are pretty sturdy tanks.

Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof." John Kenneth Galbraith

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane. Marcus Aurelius

haggeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:50 PM   #7
Muckpee OP
Noobie Adventurer

Laugh G650X fuel tank

Status update: WAY BEHind schedule... midterms were wa little more brutal than i thought they would be. But now im getting back on track. i have the rough shape of the tank, now i need to rig up the hardware including the fuel cap and quick release mounts. Ive found a nice lockable cap that works just like the stock tank cap and it has a huge rubber boot for a seal, and i think it was vented. ANybody know if these sort of tanks need/or should be vented? sorry for the the dark garage pics, the ol' garage needs some extra fixtures....

problems posting the images...... you guys can see the whole album via the link below until i get smart enought to post multiple pictures
http://picasaweb.google.com/mmik3p/G650XFuelTank

Muckpee screwed with this post 03-03-2008 at 09:30 PM
Old 03-03-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Max Kool has connected the vent line from the G650's stock tank to the auxiliary tank, and put a vented cap on the aux. tank. The stock tank's vent line sucks the fuel from the aux. tank first.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:58 PM   #9
K2ride
Single track mind!

Oddometer: 1,615
Nice work & congrats on your bike.

What type of plastic & molding process will be used to make the tank?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
Muckpee OP
Noobie Adventurer

I plan on rotomolding and vacuum forming a couple tanks with a polyurathane and hdpe plastic initially. (hdpe is whats used on quite a few automotive fuel tanks) I also plan on forming a thick hdpe skidplate for the bike eventually. Max Kool's aluminum tank looks cool but i want a tank that integrates nicer into the bike and I need it to be alot more affordable (and easier) to build.

I also really like Max Kools setup with the fuel emptying into the main tank. My tank is going to be quickly releasable but for the longer journeys i think that would be a really nice feature... might have to borrow the idea
Old 03-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #11
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,216
This is coincidental! Who would have thought there would be two sidetanks available for the Xchallenge. Keep up the good work!!
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:57 AM   #12
K2ride
Single track mind!

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckpee
I plan on rotomolding and vacuum forming a couple tanks with a polyurathane and hdpe plastic initially. (hdpe is whats used on quite a few automotive fuel tanks) I also plan on forming a thick hdpe skidplate for the bike eventually. Max Kool's aluminum tank looks cool but i want a tank that integrates nicer into the bike and I need it to be alot more affordable (and easier) to build.

I also really like Max Kools setup with the fuel emptying into the main tank. My tank is going to be quickly releasable but for the longer journeys i think that would be a really nice feature... might have to borrow the idea
I was looking at ''Crosslinked HDPE'' which is sturdier than HDPE but it can't be repared so HDPE seems to be the better choice for a tank.

I imagine that you have access to a ''Rotomolding'' unit for the tank but, for the bashplate, the Crosslink might be the way to go since it woud be a simple thermo vacuum forming job of a sheet & could be repared by riveting or wire lacing it in case of an ''emergency'' out in the boondocks.

Also,
Have you considered the possibility of a ''Fenderwell'' tank; doesn't have to big if it's added to the side unit.

Again, nice work!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:50 AM   #13
GB
Mod Squad

Have you determined the final capacity of your tank in litres? I know you said 7 to 9, just wondering what you've come up with if you've done a CAD design?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:41 AM   #14
toofast4uu
adventurer

Oddometer: 963
Good job on that prototype!

I like the stock appearance, and the fact it's plastic. Keep us posted on your progress and any additional products.

How about an inexpensive replacement license plate bracket? (Shorty style)
Old 03-04-2008, 06:49 AM   #15
GB
Mod Squad

mini hijack

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast4uu
How about an inexpensive replacement license plate bracket? (Shorty style)
I got this tail tidy from the Canadian distributor:

http://www.topendz.com/mm5/merchant....ory_Code=G650X

it's very well made, and it comes with optional replacement mini turn signals and a small LED license plate light, but I opted to keep those stock and just use the tail tidy.

Now back to this very cool aux. fuel tank setup