Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #316
hawaiidirtrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasona450xcw View Post
Hi all. My son is looking at a 2011 Beta 350RR a local dealer has left over. I've seen a lot of 450's and 520's in this thread. The Beta's sound amazing. Anyone have experience with the 350?
My buddy bought Cody Webbs 350rr race bike from last year that was put back more toward stock. He says it's awesome and fast. He's using it for MX in addition to trail riding . He said it overheated a little in our last technical poker run but his bike doesn't have a fan on it. He likes it though... I didn't get to ride it. I should have asked him after the poker run but that's the prime fun bsing time about the ride..
Here's some of the foofoo C course. I was sick and didn't do the A and B loops but just putted around in the C course and collected my Tshirt and hung out for the raffle. I was supposed to do all three loops for a full fun day of hard riding. ..actually parts of the C course that I don't have on film were difficult especially for the little kids. The A and some of the B course was supposed to be hard/technical at places.. Which means if it rained it would be unmakeable... all in all it was a great day. I started about an hour after everyone started the ride... After riding a little I warmed up a little and didn't feel as bad. It was good that I didn't do more though. I think I still rode around 2 hrs.

Beta 525 RS 09' ..It was a gorgeous day!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0ekEvdj44Q&feature=plcp

hawaiidirtrider screwed with this post 04-25-2012 at 05:40 PM
hawaiidirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #317
Bark3rd
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Here's me racing my 11' 450 RR on day 2 of the Gator Bait Enduro (Texas). Awesome bike and I ride it to the 7-11 for a slurpee sometimes because it came with a plate. Going on a my first dual sport event in the Ozarks over labor day, I've really never done anything but race until now (2 strokes). Kind of fun this ADV stuff...found an awesome trail behind the grocery store in our hood last week, will post vid later this weekend.

Bike is very mellow on the bottom end and pulls like hell when you open it up. The engine is so smooth it is like DRZ 400 with twice the bark. Suspension is a little soft for racing and blows through to the mid stroke on high speed G-outs but overall with some stiffer springs should be ok. I'm 200lbs B rider so experience may vary..

The "head turner" effect with this thing is cool, I had a steady stream of folks stopping by my motorhome at the races wanting to know what it was and all commented on how beautiful it was, "like a Ducati!"... After climbing out of the the sea of orange this was a nice experience.

Bark3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:31 AM   #318
hawaiidirtrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Nice pics!!! Thanks for posting..
hawaiidirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #319
finehomebuilder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Purchase Advice: 520RS or KTM 690 Dual Sport

I am getting close to buying one or the other. I need your opinions. I'm looking for a light weight dual sport. Probably 50/50 street to dirt. I am not a hard core enduro rider, but at 60, would like to improve my skills. I might also get a set of SM wheels for the N. GA. mountains. Bucket list includes the TransContinentalTrail. I have a R1200GS for primarily street duty. Selling the DR 650. Keeping the KLX for kicks.

I have spent a little time on both. My observations are that the Beta is lighter, carb vs FI, and more reliable (ie less wrenching required). I really don't like the FI on the KTM due to mapping requirements, service, breakdown, etc. KTM also appears to have a relationship problem with their dealers. The two closest to me are probably not going to carry them any more. The Beta dealer seems to be more customer oriented.

My idea is to be able to do up to 250 miles of two lane roads and be able to jump off when the trail calls. I don't need, nor do I want, so much power that it is hard to control. The guys that have 690's really like them, but something is leading me to the Beta.

Thank you in advance for your honest opinions.
finehomebuilder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:52 AM   #320
PozoRider
Just Ride

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by finehomebuilder View Post
I am getting close to buying one or the other. I need your opinions. I'm looking for a light weight dual sport. Probably 50/50 street to dirt. I am not a hard core enduro rider, but at 60, would like to improve my skills. I might also get a set of SM wheels for the N. GA. mountains. Bucket list includes the TransContinentalTrail. I have a R1200GS for primarily street duty. Selling the DR 650. Keeping the KLX for kicks.

I have spent a little time on both. My observations are that the Beta is lighter, carb vs FI, and more reliable (ie less wrenching required). I really don't like the FI on the KTM due to mapping requirements, service, breakdown, etc. KTM also appears to have a relationship problem with their dealers. The two closest to me are probably not going to carry them any more. The Beta dealer seems to be more customer oriented.

My idea is to be able to do up to 250 miles of two lane roads and be able to jump off when the trail calls. I don't need, nor do I want, so much power that it is hard to control. The guys that have 690's really like them, but something is leading me to the Beta.

I have both bikes, the only time my 690 gets used is the occasional (once or twice a year) commute to work, and our 6 day off-road rides that we do once or twice a year. My Beta gets used at least once a week and its about 98% off-road. The Beta is a great DS but I just don't see riding it 250 miles on pavement, as a matter of fact the 690 wouldn't be my first choice for 250 miles of pavement either. They're both great dirt bikes, the Beta is a full blown off-road bike, it's lighter, better in the tight stuff, not as comfortable, and not as good on the pavement.

Hope this helps.
Dick's Desert Dash
American Beta
PozoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:02 PM   #321
mr_guns
Look Mom no hands!

Oddometer: 701
Don't get the Beta for what you listed. I love mine and ride it almost every weekend, but for mostly street with go anywhere ability I pull out my DRZ-400s. For the woods and any dirt you couldn't pry the Beta out of my hands. Besides its not comfortable for long pavement rides.
06 DRZ-400S
08 Piaggio MP3
mr_guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:48 PM   #322
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
Quote:

I am already planning on peeling off 200 miles of pavement and some offroad for a day ride just to see how it does. I'm not concerned with street comfort at all. I will just suck it up like I did on this ride a few years back:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...9#post10513109
Surprisingly, the little Ninja was a blast on that trip!!

I have been dreaming of a plated dirt bike for years. It is finally becoming a reality. Road comfort means nothing to me as long as it will handle hard core offroad. The Beta 520 will be just the ticket!!

Expect a full ride report within a few weeks after I get it.
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #323
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Here she is being prepped:

This was a REAL dealer prep. Quick release fuel lines, had me get on the bike and set the sag, controls setup, jetting, R&D adjustable fuel screw etc, etc an no extra charge! I cannot say enough good about Dave Turner of Get Dirty Dirt Bikes!

Here she is on maiden voyage:

Close up of bags mounted:

Lightly rinsed and put away wet! OK, I gave her a good drying the first time :)

I just took got back from the local mountains (Big Bear) and got a small taste of single track. The bike does just fine. I, OTOH, need to work on my riding skills.
This Beta is everything I need in a ADV bike and more! It will do walking pace technical single track to 80 MPH highway speeds all day long.
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
Old 06-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #324
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 785
Nice bike.
WallyWhirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 12:32 PM   #325
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWhirled View Post
Nice bike.
Thanks Walt! When the weather cools down, lets get together for some desert rides!
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
Old 06-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #326
finehomebuilder
Adventurer

Beta 520RS

Chris, great pics and glad to hear of your dealer support. I just picked up my 2012 520 on Tuesday. Not quite the service you received, so kind of on my own. I added the larger tank, passenger pegs, tail rack. Mine will be used 50/50 street and trail.

I need advice on jetting, and setting sag. At 5'10 with 30" inseam, it's a little tall as delivered. I'm also considering FMF pipe. Help with this is also needed. I'm also looking for best tank bag, tail bag, etc. Suggestions please.

Break in: dealer put in dinadour oil for first service. I'm planing on synthetic after 3 hours. Am I on the right track?

Where is the bet place to get additional accessories for the Beta?

My Beta joins several other great bikes. I want to take good care with it and enjoy it for a great while.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #327
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Chris, great pics and glad to hear of your dealer support. I just picked up my 2012 520 on Tuesday. Not quite the service you received, so kind of on my own. I added the larger tank, passenger pegs, tail rack. Mine will be used 50/50 street and trail.

I need advice on jetting, and setting sag. At 5'10 with 30" inseam, it's a little tall as delivered. I'm also considering FMF pipe. Help with this is also needed. I'm also looking for best tank bag, tail bag, etc. Suggestions please.

Break in: dealer put in dinadour oil for first service. I'm planing on synthetic after 3 hours. Am I on the right track?

Where is the bet place to get additional accessories for the Beta?

My Beta joins several other great bikes. I want to take good care with it and enjoy it for a great while.
On my bike I'm running a 175 MJ, 45 P, and I think needle middle position. I also have the R&D adjustable fuel screw.

Sag is set at 105mm WITHOUT riding gear.

If you think of going with a FMF pipe, make sure you get Daves

http://shop.getdirtydirtbikes.com/Th...DT-2010-EG.htm

heat shield and trim the stock frame guard (it will melt with the FMF pipe).

As far as luggage it's personal preference. The Giant Loop stuff seems to be the most popular.

Dave can ship you anything you need for your bike.
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!

ballisticexchris screwed with this post 06-24-2012 at 12:41 PM Reason: add content
Old 06-24-2012, 03:58 PM   #328
PozoRider
Just Ride

Oddometer: 210
Italian Spy Photos

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Dick's Desert Dash
American Beta
PozoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #329
finehomebuilder
Adventurer

Beta

Chris, thanks. I plan to call Get Dirty tomorrow.
What is your elevation? I'm at sea level on the Gulf Coast (Debbie). Looks like you have the Leo Vince. Will It make a difference in jetting?
Old 06-26-2012, 03:50 AM   #330
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Chris, thanks. I plan to call Get Dirty tomorrow.
What is your elevation? I'm at sea level on the Gulf Coast (Debbie). Looks like you have the Leo Vince. Will It make a difference in jetting?
I don't think it will make too much difference in jetting. My jetting works from sea level (where I live as well) to 8000+ so far. The only thing I had to do at elevation is turn the fuel screw in 1/2 turn.
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!