User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #331
finehomebuilder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Spoke with Dave

Thank you for the contact with Dave. I spoke with him this afternoon and he was very helpful. Plan on ordering some parts from him once I decide.

Please, if you will, help keep this link going. I am really excited about getting my bike right. I'm so glad I didn't go with the Orange 690. Hope to post some pics of riding Blue Ridge, etc. in the near future.

Thanks again.
Mike
finehomebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:19 AM   #332
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by finehomebuilder View Post
Thank you for the contact with Dave. I spoke with him this afternoon and he was very helpful. Plan on ordering some parts from him once I decide.

Please, if you will, help keep this link going. I am really excited about getting my bike right. I'm so glad I didn't go with the Orange 690. Hope to post some pics of riding Blue Ridge, etc. in the near future.

Thanks again.
Mike
Hey there Mike, sounds like you are trying to setup your bike kind of like me (for ADV style riding). I'm testing out mine this morning with a full 6 liter fuel bag attached to see how she handles.

I'm also using the Giant Loop Bukin' Roll bags I installed yesterday. I will post some pics this afternoon and show my setup…..

FWIW, I too was looking at the KTM 690 and the 500 as well. I could not be happier with my purchase. With the 14/48 gearing, this bike will do walking pace trails to almost 100mph tapped out. It will cruise at freeway speeds all day long without straining.
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #333
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Here are some pics of me and my bike. I lost my 6 liter fuel bladder but a fellow rider recovered it for me!

Buckin' Roll bags:

2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!

ballisticexchris screwed with this post 06-29-2012 at 11:54 AM Reason: replace pic
Old 07-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #334
catfish
Squidicus Adventurous

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticexchris View Post
Looks great Chris!

How do you like the rack & the LeoV exhaust?

Catfish ...
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #335
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
Looks great Chris!

How do you like the rack & the LeoV exhaust?

Catfish ...
Thanks! The rack is very cool (lots of tie down options) and the Leo Vince exhaust is super quiet.
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
Old 07-09-2012, 06:31 PM   #336
ridepjride
Migrant

Oddometer: 299
I'm searching for my next ride and considering a Beta. Had a 690E and the balance shaft bearing failed, causing the engine to lock up. Went and bought a WR250R but miss the power of a larger engine so I'm looking around for a lighter more powerful bike. I've looked at the 500EXC but the bad memory lingers. There is a Beta dealer in my town and he is talking up the bike for my type of riding...ride an hour or two from home to dirt, ride for a few hours and head back home.

I'm growing to accept the oil change / valve check intervals as they seem to be consistent with other bikes of its type.
A few things I'm wrestling with:
  • Lack of resale market. I wonder if someone will be interested in an "exotic" with high miles.
  • Single-source aftermarket support (American Beta)
  • Low number of bikes with high miles to prove reliability
Please share your opinion, thanks.
ridepjride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #337
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridepjride View Post
I'm searching for my next ride and considering a Beta. Had a 690E and the balance shaft bearing failed, causing the engine to lock up. Went and bought a WR250R but miss the power of a larger engine so I'm looking around for a lighter more powerful bike. I've looked at the 500EXC but the bad memory lingers. There is a Beta dealer in my town and he is talking up the bike for my type of riding...ride an hour or two from home to dirt, ride for a few hours and head back home.

I'm growing to accept the oil change / valve check intervals as they seem to be consistent with other bikes of its type.
A few things I'm wrestling with:
  • Lack of resale market. I wonder if someone will be interested in an "exotic" with high miles.
  • Single-source aftermarket support (American Beta)
  • Low number of bikes with high miles to prove reliability
Please share your opinion, thanks.
Your going to take a hit on re-sale no matter what you buy! Don't sell it. Besides, it'll sell just fine.

Aftermarket sources are limited = my number one gripe about the bike. But it is set up so well from the factory that you dont need much. A lot of what you might want to do is available from AB at a reasonable price!

The new engines have been flawless. I have 2000 on mine with nothing wrong but the fan switch. I know Getdirtydirtbikes has a fleet of Betas that he uses for his adventure company and he races as well and the engine has proven very hearty! They are very smooth which helps the reliability factor settle in nicely rather than a rough unbalanced engine which would always make you wonder. It's quit unlike my old DRZ400 which always scared me that the engine was about to lock up. I dont see an issue with reliability.

I love my 520RR, best bike I've ever had or even ridden!
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:47 AM   #338
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post
Your going to take a hit on re-sale no matter what you buy! Don't sell it. Besides, it'll sell just fine.

Aftermarket sources are limited = my number one gripe about the bike. But it is set up so well from the factory that you dont need much. A lot of what you might want to do is available from AB at a reasonable price!

The new engines have been flawless. I have 2000 on mine with nothing wrong but the fan switch. I know Getdirtydirtbikes has a fleet of Betas that he uses for his adventure company and he races as well and the engine has proven very hearty! They are very smooth which helps the reliability factor settle in nicely rather than a rough unbalanced engine which would always make you wonder. It's quit unlike my old DRZ400 which always scared me that the engine was about to lock up. I dont see an issue with reliability.

+1 What he said
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #339
stater61
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
ATV World, the Beta dealer here in Farmington has a 2011' 450 that he's demo'ed some. I want this bike so bad I can't stand it, he'd take $7000 for it, I just don't have the money right now . One of you guys should put me out of my misery and buy it .

JH
stater61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 AM   #340
ridepjride
Migrant

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post

Sounds like a great bike with a very loyal following. Thanks for the info.
ridepjride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #341
hawaiidirtrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridepjride View Post
Sounds like a great bike with a very loyal following. Thanks for the info.
To me Beta is a great bike and the support has been very good too.. at least for me. If I need a part or information the service has been excellent.. most times the part comes in fast .
Yea ..overall I'd say Beta has a very loyal following. I love my 09 525 RS.. my street legal dirt bike..I have the older model with the ktm motor but have been following the newer Beta's . They are solid from everything I could find so far. At some time I will upgrade to the new generation of Beta's. They are even better and I love mine!!! The newest 498 rr factory replica is just plain gorgeous too.. I will also be checking for the 300 Beta 2 stroke Beta enduro that should be for sale next year.. That might be my next Beta for that matter... Here I'm riding some single track close to my house recently.. i want to keep my Beta for a long time... but I'm not worried so much about resale as all the bikes take a huge hit on resale. Even the most popular bikes lose huge on resale these days.. That's just how it goes.. I figure just buy a bike and enjoy it as long as you can.. or buy one of those used bikes and take advantage of the crappy resale...I feel that no matter what I'll just lose a bit more if I buy and sell after a couple of years. ..but I'm still in love with my 09 Beta so no big deal ..I'll just keep it and keep riding and enjoying..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7zV24E4vGI

Thanks Happyseal for reminding me.. I'm going to look online at what's on at getdirtybikes ... I've been riding my cr 250 as I had the 2 stroke bug.. Now I'm hungry for some Beta 4 stroke riding. I rode my Beta exclusively for a year and let my 2 stroke alone.. now it's been a month or so it's back to Beta!!!!

hawaiidirtrider screwed with this post 08-22-2012 at 12:47 PM
hawaiidirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #342
offworlder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Bummer re beta-talk.com. Was there even a mention that Chip was pulling the plug ?
While the site wasnt overly busy, there was plenty of useful dialogue re our beloved Italian redheads....
offworlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:15 AM   #343
finehomebuilder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Rs 520

I miss the Beta Talk site, also. Someone had a note of a somewhat smaller rear tire that would help lower my 2012 RS520. Can't find it now, so can anyone make a suggestion?

I hope we can pick up what's now missing from Beta talk and carry over to Adventure Rider site.
finehomebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:26 AM   #344
offworlder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
Quote:
I miss the Beta Talk site, also. Someone had a note of a somewhat smaller rear tire that would help lower my 2012 RS520. Can't find it now, so can anyone make a suggestion?

I hope we can pick up what's now missing from Beta talk and carry over to Adventure Rider site.
You could go to a 17" rim, or were you simply looking for a lower profile tire ?

ADVrider is so incredible, here's to it being THE repository of knowledge and community for Beta lovers and all riders !
offworlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #345
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:

That was me! Stick with your stock Euro size 140/90/18 rear tire size and you'll keep your lower seat height. Go up to the U.S. equivelant 120/80/18 and you'll lose a 1/2"
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote