Just released on web

http://www.americanbeta.com/node/801
Brainless_1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #347
dallasdrz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
new 2008 525

Looking into a new left over 08' 525, Can anyone let me know if these bike have been reliable, any issues ?
dallasdrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #348
TNkayaker
Wookin' pa nub

Oddometer: 87
They Beta RR/RS bikes previous to 2010 used the KTM RFS engines, which are excellent and have tons of support available out there.

The chassis receives no real complaints as far as I know. Maybe a few quirks such as an airbox that is not very easily accessible. Beta owners (me included) seem to be fanatical fans of the brand.

Look up inmate Riceless950. he has an '09, and is an active participant here on ADV Rider.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #349
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Axle Pull Handle

Does anyone know if axle pullers are available for the Beta front axle? Mine is a chore to get out as there is nothing to grab the axle. I bought an Enduro Engineering #23-055 for KTMs, but it doesn't work since the inside diameter is smaller than the Beta which is 30mm.
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:34 PM   #350
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,527
I believe on American Beta website there are pulls avaialbe. You could also check Getdirtydirtbikes.com
Old 10-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #351
offworlder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
(2012) Beta 350, 400, or 450 ?

Now that the 2013s are arriving, I'm thinking of moving to a 2012, from my current 2009. Thinking 350, 400, or 450RR.
Would very much appreciate other (2012) RR owner's input !

Thanks.
offworlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #352
TNkayaker
Wookin' pa nub

Oddometer: 87
I ride a 2010 400RR that has been converted for dual sport use. I have not ridden a 450, but did test ride a 520RS. The only thing that steered me away from the 520 was the vibration at the bars. I came from a wr250r and was used to a very smooth engine. I am not saying the 520 had bad vibration, just that I am sensitive to it. The 400 for me is perfect. I weigh about 190 with all my gear on. The engine is smooth, with good bottom end power, a great hit in the middle, and good rev on top. I ride in the low to mid range typically. With 13-50 gearing it is great on single track and still cruises at 60 mph at about 6000-6200 rpm. I don't even shift to 6th until I hit 50mph.

For me the sachs/zoke suspension is great. Stable on the road and nimble in the trails. I guess engine size just depends on what kind of power output you want. 400 seems a good middle ground . If you like to rev, choose a 350. If you like to torque around at low revs and scream when you crack the throttle, get the 500 size. Anything in the middle-- choose the 400 or 450
Old 11-02-2012, 02:57 AM   #353
hawaiidirtrider
Adventurer

Happy Day after Halloween Beta riders!!!!

Happy Day after Halloween Beta riders!!!!

Here's some old Beta vid just for the hell of it..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bh-ngjuirHE&feature=plcp
hawaiidirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 02:05 PM   #354
GetDirtyDave
n00b

Oddometer: 6
2012 Upgrade

The 2012 bikes will be a big improvement over your 2009. The KTM motor on your 2009 is great and they are reliable but the Beta engine is a big improvement. There are not many 2012 bikes left so you should start checking around soon, we have only one 2012 left in our shop and it is a 350RS. Happy hunting you'll love the new bikes.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #355
bradrh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNkayaker View Post
I ride a 2010 400RR that has been converted for dual sport use. I have not ridden a 450, but did test ride a 520RS. The only thing that steered me away from the 520 was the vibration at the bars. I came from a wr250r and was used to a very smooth engine. I am not saying the 520 had bad vibration, just that I am sensitive to it. The 400 for me is perfect. I weigh about 190 with all my gear on. The engine is smooth, with good bottom end power, a great hit in the middle, and good rev on top. I ride in the low to mid range typically. With 13-50 gearing it is great on single track and still cruises at 60 mph at about 6000-6200 rpm. I don't even shift to 6th until I hit 50mph.

For me the sachs/zoke suspension is great. Stable on the road and nimble in the trails. I guess engine size just depends on what kind of power output you want. 400 seems a good middle ground . If you like to rev, choose a 350. If you like to torque around at low revs and scream when you crack the throttle, get the 500 size. Anything in the middle-- choose the 400 or 450
Should I consider a Beta? I'm on a DR650 now, wife has a wr250 which she lets me ride once in a while. Considering another wrr since its better for the gnarly jeep road adventures. I would like a little more bottom end torque tho. Would a beta RS be as good, or almost as good as the WRR on the highway? How wide is the tranny ratio? What speed can you comfortably cruise at? Notice I'm asking about highway, cuz I'm pretty sure its better off pave. My needs are not for a single track weapon (have MTB for that), but for moderate length (days) adventures on some pretty rough mountain roads.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:06 AM   #356
hawaiidirtrider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetDirtyDave View Post
The 2012 bikes will be a big improvement over your 2009. The KTM motor on your 2009 is great and they are reliable but the Beta engine is a big improvement. There are not many 2012 bikes left so you should start checking around soon, we have only one 2012 left in our shop and it is a 350RS. Happy hunting you'll love the new bikes.
Yea i know what your are saying but I'm still loving my 09 for now...actually if I'm going new the 2 stroke 300 Beta is most attractive of the Beta line.. but of course I'd like both a 4 and a 2 t Beta if I could. I have 2 great but older 2 strokes.. a 250 and a 300 and of course my 525rs Beta.. I'm happy with them . Sadly if I got rid of all three I could only afford 1 new bike.
hawaiidirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:53 AM   #357
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrh View Post
Should I consider a Beta? I'm on a DR650 now, wife has a wr250 which she lets me ride once in a while. Considering another wrr since its better for the gnarly jeep road adventures. I would like a little more bottom end torque tho. Would a beta RS be as good, or almost as good as the WRR on the highway? How wide is the tranny ratio? What speed can you comfortably cruise at? Notice I'm asking about highway, cuz I'm pretty sure its better off pave. My needs are not for a single track weapon (have MTB for that), but for moderate length (days) adventures on some pretty rough mountain roads.
You won't be disappointed if you like to peel off highway miles. I did a 300+ mile day ride a few weeks back that consisted of around 70% pavement and 30% fire roads/quad trails/single track.

My bike is setup as a hardcore ADV bike. It will do over 80mph all day long. As far as vibration in the bars, I never noticed it much. I'm running 14/48 gearing. The really sweet thing is even fully bagged up, it will tackle anything from slow hardcore single track, to fast deep sand washes, and everything between.

I have to say the ONLY limiting factor to long miles of pavement is the stinking moto helmet! Moto helmets suck for long stretches of asphalt. I'm getting ready to put down some serious coin for a Shoei Hornet dual sport helmet.
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 04:54 AM   #358
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballisticexchris View Post
You won't be disappointed if you like to peel off highway miles. I did a 300+ mile day ride a few weeks back that consisted of around 70% pavement and 30% fire roads/quad trails/single track.

My bike is setup as a hardcore ADV bike. It will do over 80mph all day long. As far as vibration in the bars, I never noticed it much. I'm running 14/48 gearing. The really sweet thing is even fully bagged up, it will tackle anything from slow hardcore single track, to fast deep sand washes, and everything between.

I have to say the ONLY limiting factor to long miles of pavement is the stinking moto helmet! Moto helmets suck for long stretches of asphalt. I'm getting ready to put down some serious coin for a Shoei Hornet dual sport helmet.
Chris, if you have a kind of round I think the Arai is a better choice. I don't have a round head but still prefer it over the Shoei. The main reason is that the visor on the Shoei is only there for looks. It provides no shade. If you look up while looking out of the helmet it is actually the helmet rather than the visor that cuts off light. I think HJC has a helmet that is much less expensive and fits more similarly to the Shoei than the Arai. It has a visor that functions also.
WallyWhirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:44 PM   #359
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallyWhirled View Post
Chris, if you have a kind of round I think the Arai is a better choice. I don't have a round head but still prefer it over the Shoei. The main reason is that the visor on the Shoei is only there for looks. It provides no shade. If you look up while looking out of the helmet it is actually the helmet rather than the visor that cuts off light. I think HJC has a helmet that is much less expensive and fits more similarly to the Shoei than the Arai. It has a visor that functions also.
It was the Icon Variant helmet that I was thinking about. If I were shopping for a new DS helmet I'd give it serious consideration.

http://www.rideicon.com/products/?ca...Id=993#variant
WallyWhirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #360
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
At what year did they stop using the ึhlins suspension? I remember a few years back, they came with them...

Is the new beta engine a big improvement over the RFS eninges? How is the service interval for valves/oil? Is it screw type adjustment or shim?

Lastly, what is the difference between the RS and the RR? Both are not plated from the factory, right?

D
’08 950SE for sale in SoCal
’09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote