Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2008, 11:28 PM   #31
PozoRider
Just Ride

Oddometer: 209
I rode a KDX200 once in FL, it was fun, keep it pinned and shift! The 525 Beta or KTM for that matter is a totally different bike, it almost doesn't matter what gear your in, grab a handful and it's going to go. It's not the MX style rip you arms off power, it's nice and easy but it gets up and goes when needed. It's very easy to ride, single track or wide open desert.

As far as tires go I've been running Michelin Bajas, they're DOT and Hold up very well and work great offroad. I'm not sure about the safety aspect of having more hp, it can't hurt though. I went with the 525 vs 450 for Baja, I figured that the bigger engine would be taxed less on the long high speed sections down there.
Dick's Desert Dash
American Beta
PozoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #32
the white rabbit OP
Vicarious

Oddometer: 3,051
Clutch master cylinder boot

Ok, I posted this in tis own thread but maybe try here too.

Fitting the clutch master cylinder boot...or can someone save me from myself

Just taken off the lever to get a look to see if I have a leak at the master cylinder piston, and yep, it all fell on the floor

So what is puzzling me on putting it back together is the little boot that the plunger sits in.

Does it really just sit in place, held on the plunger between the cylinder and the lever as if by luck or should it have some kind of clip to hold it in place?

The surface of the master around the plunger looks squeeky clean so I cant see the boot would fit inside, and indeed it looks too big a diameter to do so.

Here's some pics so I hope you can help me out. I can't find a schematic anywhere that shows this in detail.

Here's my master cylinder

Here's the boot in question, does it just sit on the plunger and get jammed in there (sorry about the focus, or lack of)

Here's the whole setup (at least all the parts from the garage floor sans boot

Anyone help (and take my tools away maybe... )

the white rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:29 PM   #33
CrankyCoyote
scud no more

Oddometer: 100
Yup, the boot just sits in there. It slides up the plunger a little bit and down into the cylinder just enough to be held in place by friction.
CrankyCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #34
the white rabbit OP
Vicarious

Thanks, Scud.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #35
the white rabbit OP
Vicarious

A few pics around Bristol, UK

Only a couple of issues I am looking at. The clutch is dragging when cold and when hot, but its been bled and refilled and it will not start sometimes when hot, but I could be flooding it. Just getting used to niggles really, and I have only had time to ride it once

Old 05-27-2008, 04:45 PM   #36
CrankyCoyote
scud no more

Looks like lots of fun! That's weird about the clutch though. If it's dragging, that might be the source of your hot-start problem too if it's in gear.

Another question for you (or any other Beta owners outside the western U.S.): do you have a Beta dealer near you? I've been trying to get a set of hubs or motard rims out of American Beta for the last month and a half and can't seem to get anywhere. All I really need is the hubs; I can get custom wheels laced up locally, but apparently the 04-07 hubs are pretty unique. I might even be able to make a RAD KTM front hub work, but nothing even comes close to the rear hub supposedly. I'm at the point where I'd consider ordering from somewhere outside the US if they could get me parts before this winter...
Old 05-28-2008, 12:25 AM   #37
the white rabbit OP
Vicarious

Scud, there are a few dealers but I havent tried any of them out as yet as they often say Beta but then do trials bikes...ok, if you have part numbers I guess.

The only place I have spoken too is the main importer here and I think they do parts. If they will not ship to you I would be happy to help you out. Be better if you were able to speak to them so you got the right bits, but they could come to me then on to you. I can speak to them if required.

They are here

I also know of a wheelbuilder here with a Beta, I will try and make contact.

What I really want is a big main European (Italian) dealer who has everything!

BTW my clutch issue is exacerbated as (like my friends KTM400 and like another Beta I have ridden) neutral doesnt exist when the bike is running. Is yours the same?

Old 05-28-2008, 12:29 AM   #38
the white rabbit OP
Vicarious

They list (this is the 2008 list mind you, assume it is for all years)
22.07249.0.00 HUB FRONT RR 4T 109.75
22.08027.0.00 HUB REAR RR 4T 137.60

Old 05-28-2008, 11:22 AM   #39
gladiator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Wink beta seat mod question

Hi Guys
I have an 'o6 Beta 525 (love it) with a Rekluse clutch. I would like to modify the seat as I'm 6'2 but I want to use a cover which is as close to original as possible. i.e grippy, rubber etc, etc. Are these available and from where?
gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:49 AM   #40
the white rabbit OP
Vicarious

Can't help on the seat, I'm a short arse so have the opposite problem. But good to see another owner about.

Was the Rekluse clutch a straight KTM specified one?

Old 05-29-2008, 11:56 AM   #41
CrankyCoyote
scud no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by the white rabbit
They list (this is the 2008 list mind you, assume it is for all years)
Thanks for the quotes, that's very helpful. One of the dealers here quoted me ~$400 USD for the rear and $3XX for the front - even with the US peso as depressed as it is, that's still almost a 2X markup. Time to send some international emails, I think. I heard that the '08 hubs are different though, so maybe that's the reason for the markup.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #42
CrankyCoyote
scud no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiator
Hi Guys
I have an 'o6 Beta 525 (love it) with a Rekluse clutch. I would like to modify the seat as I'm 6'2 but I want to use a cover which is as close to original as possible. i.e grippy, rubber etc, etc. Are these available and from where?
Don't know if the cover is available anywhere, but the Beta "tall" seat was quite a bit more comfortable for me, and I'm the same height as you. Fit right on my '05, although I had to get the rear intake screen on the fender to make it look good.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #43
CrankyCoyote
scud no more

Quote:
BTW my clutch issue is exacerbated as (like my friends KTM400 and like another Beta I have ridden) neutral doesnt exist when the bike is running. Is yours the same?
Mine's touchy for sure, but it's not that bad once it warms up. I can usually get it into neutral when I want it to, although sometimes it takes a bit of nudging this way and that to get it.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:17 PM   #44
reconsmr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,522
The RFS and 610 husky motors are famous for elusive neutral UNLESS the bike is rolling. Get in the habit of snickin it before stopping. Many miles till this trait is defeated, many, many miles.
reconsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #45
gladiator
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Laugh

Quote:

Can't help on the seat, I'm a short arse so have the opposite problem. But good to see another owner about.

Was the Rekluse clutch a straight KTM specified one?
Yeah the clutch was a KTM specified unit. Beta's aren't that well known in S.Africa and it makes life easier to do the thinking for the dealers. Question, are the '08 plastics of a better quality than my '06's?
gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote