Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #436
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCExpat View Post
Thanks for taking the time and effort to write up your experience. Great review. Now I really want one. Maybe the hot starting will improve with some more miles.
There is a modification in place already taking care of this nuisance. It is very simple to do! Don't let this hinder anyone from a beatiful bike. I did not do the mod and a couple stabs at the starter is all it has ever taken and the bike has NEVER left me anywhere.
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #437
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,642
3girlsDad breaks in his 450RR the right way....

Old 03-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #438
Harpoonalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Ii've been all over the map for a new bike. Settled on a KTM 500 EXC but happened to check out this thread and BETA interests me, especially the BYOB where you can set the bike up perfect from the factory. Realistically, using the RS520 as a dual sport, what kind of miles can I get before a top end rebuild? No racing, just some paved back roads, dirt roads and class 4 trails. I like to have fun but at 54 , don't really wring my bikes out anymore. Comparisons to the KTM? KTM guys say top end rebuild hours are about double the manual. Other reason to consider Beta is when I bought my trials bike, the local dealer (still 2 1/2 hours away) was very helpful in getting some issues sorted out. He made no money on the deal but spent time to help me out. Service is important to me. Appreciate your collective wisdom!
Harpoonalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #439
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Thumb Inspection

After a good 75 miles in the desert I gave the 520 a good washing and went through every bolt, nut, screw and spoke I came across. Happy to say everything was still tight and in its place. Nothing loose or hanging. The filter still looks brand new and to get to it is a breeze. No tools needed, just pop it in 2 places and slide it out. Just as easy going back in. The battery was secure as well and even easier to get to with a push button release. I am really happy and cannot wait for ride number two.
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #440
ballisticexchris
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by atravlr View Post
Very nice Bike! I see you went with the rewound stator as well. Dave and Debbie are the best. I'm really enjoying mine for sure. I just did a 140 miler yesterday with a group and she ran like a top!

Comparison testing

Best imitation of a seat bounce

Suspension tuning

And into the sunset….
2012 Beta 520RS PLATED!!
ballisticexchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:15 PM   #441
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Yup, added the upgrade stator, quick connect battery terminal, and a waterproof 12 volt plug just in case I need to use a air pump or gps/iphone. Never know, might have to take a long ride, even though my XR650 has those items on them now. Just cant part ways with it, and that's why it is my long haul bike and the Beta is the playing in the big sand box bike. I am really impressed with it.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #442
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 827
Great info
redpillar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #443
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
te for sale

well iv,e put my 08 te up for sale with supermoto wheels,and not one call yet.need to sell it to pick up my 400 rs !
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #444
jcarlson9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
400 rs

well ive found a near new 520 rs,i didnt want the big bike but im saving lots of cash so it will do,putting the deposit down today !,if only now i could sell the husky
jcarlson9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #445
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
anyone know of any dealers in PA/NJ/DE?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #446
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 354
dealers listing on american beta web site.
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #447
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 941
Got my first real ride on my 520RR today in the Pine Barrens. Here are some thoughts...

Stock springs are correct for my weight (nice!)- I set the sag and didn't touch a single clicker... the suspension was awesome! Prior to this, my Husaberg WP's were the best I had, but the Beta was just spot-on. I could glide right over whoops under 2 feet tall, but with anything deeper, I was running out of talent.

I will never need a "better" bike- this thing is way more bike than I am rider.

I thought the tank held over 2 gallons? I ran out (thankfully, I was near a road), but used reserve to get to a gas station (my 'berg didn't have reserve, so this was nice). When I filled it up, I got a little over 1.5 gallon in- wtf? Anyway, I've already ordered the big Clarke tank, so this isn't a big deal.

Clutch is sooo easy to pull. Finding neutral is near impossible. I heard of people having trouble starting in gear or while hot. I had no problems starting it, at any time. Shifting was smooth, like maple syrup.

Seat is so stiff, I don't even compress it at all. That makes it seem taller than it should be. No matter- I ordered a soft seat from Beta.

The quiet exhaust (mine is stock) makes the bike seem mellower than it is. All my other bikes would scream when you flog it, but the Beta just quietly GOES. Actually, I was riding mostly 2nd and 3rd gear and 1/3 to 1/2 throttle... the few times I opened it up, I was pretty shocked how fast it was. Almost scary fast. (I'm a pretty slow rider, though.)

From the minor stuff I've taken apart and inspected, this bike makes more sense than any I've owned. The way most of it is put together just makes sense.

So far, I'm loving this thing!
JustRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:28 AM   #448
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Seat

I advise everyone to get the Extra soft seat. It's worth every penny.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #449
offworlder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
5w/50 ?

Dealer gave me some 5w/50 Maxima, said they've been having good feedback. Manual calls for 15W50.
And now that Beta is going with Motul (http://www.americanbeta.com/node/1604) - which comes in a 10W40, and 10W50, and 20W50 - I'd like to hear what others are using, and would appreciate thoughts/feedback from the collective, thanks.
offworlder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:31 AM   #450
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 354
Tail LIght, Brake Light, License Plate Light and Blinkers

so i finished putting the RS front and rear harness into my RR. i've kept the rear tail light from the RR. it's not very bright, and when the brake lights are on, you can hardly tell the difference, especially in daylight. while i do ride this primarily off-road, i still want to have something that folks can see so that i don't' get rear ended.

i was in cycle gear yesterday for the easter sale and found this:

http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/A.../p/44045_59408

i'll try to get it hooked up this week and get pics. it has the running light, brake light, license plate light, and blinkers, all built in. it was half off, so $40. also got their hitch hauler for $90 (down from $200). seems pretty sturdy to me.

2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote