Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 09:12 PM   #466
PozoRider
Just Ride

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewillsmith View Post
For those with Betas with some hours/miles on them, how are you liking them? I've always been a Yamaha guy, but the Beta is really hitting some key points for me. Problem is there doesn't seem to be any around me (Maine) and even fewer dealers in my area. So I'm gonna have to travel to get one, so I am looking for general feedback please (and thank you).
2011 520rr, 105 hours. The bike is awesome! Checked the valves twice, made one adjustment. Timing chain adjuster update, and auto decompression update. Filter, and oil changes.
Dick's Desert Dash
American Beta
PozoRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #467
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Keys on a 520

The new 520's have the key ignition installed. Here's mine.
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #468
atravlr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Threads # 434 and 439

I left my first impressions on those threads.

Quote:
For those with Betas with some hours/miles on them, how are you liking them? I've always been a Yamaha guy, but the Beta is really hitting some key points for me. Problem is there doesn't seem to be any around me (Maine) and even fewer dealers in my area. So I'm gonna have to travel to get one, so I am looking for general feedback please (and thank you).
atravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #469
McKay
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 708
Hmm, guess I better wait then to see what mine has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atravlr View Post
The new 520's have the key ignition installed. Here's mine.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #470
The Bladerunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
450 RR with 150h. No probs so far. Handling is fantastic, you see a hill and the bike just goes up there right the way you want. Excellent on single trails.

Also raced it in 2012 and 2013 at the 'Tuareg' Rallye in Morocco/Tunisia. Pure joy surfing the big dunes.
But check the valves often, mine tend to be quite tight after 30h-40h.

Extra radiator fan is a must when you go for tight trails or soft sand dunes.

Joerg

Quote:
The Bladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:14 AM   #471
mikewillsmith
Not the f'g fresh prince!

Oddometer: 1,810
Thanks very much for the feedback.
I think I'm hooked.

Now if only the dealers weren't a day's drive away.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #472
catfish
Squidicus Adventurous

Oddometer: 575
Quote:

+200 hours & +5000 miles on my 2011 520RS. Sold a 2003 Yamaha WR450F with 16k miles. The WR had MORE bottom hit that the Beta, but the softer-bottom hit of the Beta is part of what makes it a better on the tight technical stuff. Easier to ride.

Ms.Beta is the best handling & steering 4t dirtbike I have ever ridden. Almost trials-like manners in the tight technical stuff.

Cam-chain tensioner upgrade installed, but not done the auto-decompression upgrade yet. 3 valve checks & no adjustment necessary. Loctite the sidestand pivot bolt as it loosens over time. Had Dicks Racing lower suspension 1.5" for my short legs and re-valve. Already sprung for my weight. It could use a little more high-speed compression in the shock for whoops, but I'm waiting for the next re-build to address that.

Front/rear weight balance was a little too-much front bias for me. Lowered shock preload (more sag) to get handling where I prefer, but then the headlight points up too high. Shim (longer) lower headlight mounting screw with flat washers to get headlight pointed correctly.

Seat foam is HARD. Soft seat foam seems too hard also. Maybe the extra-soft seat foam or a Seat Concepts?

I prefer 13/52 gearing in the tight technical stuff, and use 14/52 when DS riding.

FUN on the green hill!

Catfish ...
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:25 AM   #473
mikewillsmith

Nice, thanks. My choices for this bike were the WR450F (that I would then plate), the 350EXC and the Beta.
Everything has good and bad points but the Beta has won me over as I am looking for a bike that is nimble and sure footed on slow speed technical stuff, and just legal enough to string trails together as a plated dirt bike.

How is the 13/52 set up on the road? (just for getting from trail to trail)
Old 04-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #474
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
Seat foam is HARD. Soft seat foam seems too hard also. Maybe the extra-soft seat foam or a Seat Concepts?
If you didn't see the thread at TT, I just installed the EXTRA-soft foam last weekend, and I'm happy with it. The stock foam was so firm it didn't compress at all when I sat down. The new foam compresses a little, like it should.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 PM   #475
catfish
Squidicus Adventurous

Oddometer: 575
Quote:

Nice, thanks. My choices for this bike were the WR450F (that I would then plate), the 350EXC and the Beta.
Everything has good and bad points but the Beta has won me over as I am looking for a bike that is nimble and sure footed on slow speed technical stuff, and just legal enough to string trails together as a plated dirt bike.

How is the 13/52 set up on the road? (just for getting from trail to trail)

I'll cruise at 60, maybe 65mph occasionally with 13/52. With the 14t 70-75mph is OK. The Beta tranny seems closer spaced than the WR or the KTM EXCs I've ridden. I like the Beta spacing better, but to get 1st down to where I can trials, 6th is not 100mph anymore. Yeah, all I need now is a 7th gear!

Oh, one last reminder. Definitely check spoke tension at each cleaning or oil change. I find 1 or 2 loose ones in the rear occasionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
If you didn't see the thread at TT, I just installed the EXTRA-soft foam last weekend, and I'm happy with it. The stock foam was so firm it didn't compress at all when I sat down. The new foam compresses a little, like it should.

Good to hear a review of the extra-soft. I know the soft foam ain't soft enough for me.

OOooh, I just realized they finally created the Beta forum at TT. Damn, look at all the threads to catch up on! THANKS for the clue!

Catfish ...
catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:42 AM   #476
mikewillsmith

Great info. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
I'll cruise at 60, maybe 65mph occasionally with 13/52. With the 14t 70-75mph is OK. The Beta tranny seems closer spaced than the WR or the KTM EXCs I've ridden. I like the Beta spacing better, but to get 1st down to where I can trials, 6th is not 100mph anymore. Yeah, all I need now is a 7th gear!

Oh, one last reminder. Definitely check spoke tension at each cleaning or oil change. I find 1 or 2 loose ones in the rear occasionally.

Good to hear a review of the extra-soft. I know the soft foam ain't soft enough for me.

OOooh, I just realized they finally created the Beta forum at TT. Damn, look at all the threads to catch up on! THANKS for the clue!

Catfish ...
Old 04-11-2013, 06:17 PM   #477
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,655
Is this the plug wrench for the 2011 450 RR?

AustinJake screwed with this post 04-11-2013 at 06:58 PM
AustinJake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #478
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Yup
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #479
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 356
jake was asking for me. thought i had big problems. tore into the top of the head. looked at wiring. finally checked the carb.

the entire needle seat, main jet and plate had come completely unscrewed and were laying in the float bowl!

at least now i know that the cams and valves are in good shape

many thanks to jake for the help today! if your bike is spitting, sputtering or hardly running, maybe check to make sure the main jet unit hasn't come completely loose.
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #480
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
the entire needle seat, main jet and plate had come completely unscrewed and were laying in the float bowl!
I love it when a plan comes together, now you can do some more showing off on that 450RR this weekend, high temps forecast for 90 degrees on Sunday (watch the 3girlsdad 450RR vid below in 480p)

AustinJake screwed with this post 04-12-2013 at 06:08 PM
AustinJake is online now   Reply With Quote