User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
wonderings OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 923
Question for the diabetics

I just recently found out I have diabetes 1 the hard way. After a week in the hospital I am getting on with my life again with significant changes, though nothing to stop me from doing anything I love to do. Anyways, my question is this, the insulin I use I am told needs to be refrigerated until I take it out for my needle. What do you do when carrying extra insulin for longer trips?

All my trips so far have been weekend trips, but now that I have an 06 GS I am planning a few week long trips. Now the insulin in my needle would be enough for a one week trip, but if I went on a multi week trip I would definitely need to carry more insulin with me.
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
scerny
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I use a cooling sleeve called a 'Frio.'

It's an evaporative cooler. There's an inner sleeve filled with crystals that you soak in water every day or two. The crystals absorb the water and become a gel. As the water evaporates through the outer sleeve the insulin is kept cool. The trick is where you pack the sleeve. Just inside the lid of a black waterproof tank bag is a bad idea as I discovered unpleasantly. Number one, it limits the evaporation. Number two, it makes for a high ambient temperature that's more than the it can handle. Somewhere closer to the air is better.

There are also some small 12V cooling devices available (google "insulin cooler"), but not much as small or inexpensive as the Frio. I can't remember where I bought mine (maybe amazon), but it's a British product with only a few US distributors. Reviews were controversial, but I've been happy with mine. You just have to be smarter than it is.
scerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:12 PM   #3
preach
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
insulin

iv'e been diagnosed since last aug. I asked my pharmicist about travel on my bike... she said the insulin will be effective (potent) for 30 days with out cooling...so I just use a vial with a little more than I need for my trip, and it works out perfect. I also cook the majority of my meals when I travel/camp . I thought my condition would hinder my travels...I was wrong. I just have to make sure I bring my meds & watch what I eat. Just Do it.
Happy travels
preach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,351
My son is diabetic (Type 1), has been living with it for 11 years now, takes insulin every day and he just carries his supplies in a lunch kit. One of those nylon insulated ones. We keep his spare insulin in the fridge but when he runs out it just lives in the lunch kit till it gets used up.

You have the right attitude, there's no reason you can't do anything you want. Just pay attention to your body, most diabetics get a "signal" that they're going low. My son's legs hurt, so he knows he needs to eat or drink juice, chew on a few glucose tablets etc. if his legs are hurting. Don't ignore the signal! especially if you're riding at the time. Just carry small snacks, and Jeffrey likes the glucose tablets cause they're small and fit in his pocket and they don't get all squished etc. Sorry a lot of this may not apply to you with Type 2 but all I know is Type 1.

Good luck!

bross screwed with this post 07-25-2008 at 09:23 PM
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #5
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 12,745
Here's a link to Medicool. http://www.medicool.com/diabetes/dia...protectall.php

I've used their products to keep my insulin cool. I've worn out four or five of these. I take it everywhere I go. Edit: But I don't wear it on my belt. I carry it, and if I have to put it down at a friends home or somewhere else, I always put my keys in it. That way, I can't leave without it.

lewismedlock screwed with this post 02-12-2008 at 04:50 PM
lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:59 AM   #6
Big__AL
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Not to Scare you....

One of my best friends died from taking too much insulin last week. Don't underestimate the fact that this is serious.

But don't let it stop you either, my buddy ran marathons, and rode his bicycle from coast to coast.....

But do yourself a favor and get a medilert tag...and perhaps even write on your jacket that you are diabetic...and where your glucose is....with instructions......that way if ANYONE finds you they can figure out how to help.

I know this is not your question...but felt obligated to offer this advice.....feel free to discard.
-50 something HD Panhead Bobber
Big__AL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,400
I've had Type 1 for decades. Traveled through USA, Europe and the Virgin Islands. Motorcycled through western Canada for three weeks plus more weekend-long trips in Arizona than I can count. I carry my insulin in my backpack when walking/driving. When motorcycling I carry it in my top case or in my pocket. I live in Arizona so on day trips it can get pretty warm. I take it at work before lunch and keep a bottle there. It sits in my locked desk, unrefrigerated, for months until I use the entire bottle. I've never had an issue with it losing effectiveness because of not being refrigerated.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
ky2008
2008KLR

Oddometer: 111
I know this thread is old but I have a few things I'd like to add. I had the same questions and asked on klr650.net. I was referred to the Frio evaporative cooling stuff. I haven't bought it yet but it is supposed to be pretty good. As you may know now (since you've had diabetes for a while) your insulin does not need to be refrigerated. It has to be kept in a certain range, something like 45 deg F to 80 deg f. If you manage to keep it at room temp. I'd say you'll be fine. I've been diagnosed for about 2 and a half years. My A1C is usually about 6.4. So far it hasn't stopped me from riding, but I haven't done any rides longer then two days either.

By the way, keeping it in one of those small coolers with ice packs works "ok". If you keep it in your top case all day the ice pack heats up pretty fast though. I've also thought about getting some sort of water proof bag that I can put ice in, something small about the size of a small ice pack. That way I can simply stop at a fast food place or gas station and get more ice.
ky2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #9
temekuguy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Wicked New to Type 2

My doctor recommended putting my Byeta pen (very similar to insulin requirements) in a thermos that was refrigerated. He said then you could add some ice in a plastic ziploc bag into the thermos if you need to, like if you're traveling somewhere very hot. Remember to keep your test strips cool also, and test often, I have been surprised at how fast you can go low when ridng.
temekuguy is offline   Reply With Quote