Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2002, 09:35 AM   #1
TigersCanFly OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Eek Kenda TrakMaster II's (DOT approved, barely?)

Just mounted the Kenda's on Monday. Road the bike to work on Tuesday(27 degrees F in the am), I took a 1 mile river trail section with hardpack, sand and few small jumps/bumps. These tires work unbelievably well on the blacktop, and they are not even broke in. The bike is still smooth, likes to go straight, stable up to 75 mph(fastest I went so far) and competent in the corners. There were no suprises, they are totally predictable. On the way home from work, I decided to give a favorite single track that is 6 miles long a try. I love this trail on my XT. Along with the smaller front sprocket and the awesome knobs, and upgraded front suspension, this bike is quite the trail bike for being 540 lbs. I tried a loosish hill climb last week with the T66's and made it half way. Yesterday I shot to the top with autority. I am having to re-learn how to ride the Tiger off-road, it is a hoot. I climbed a very loose sand dune that is about 35 feet high. It was simply amazing how the bike roosted to the top with out having to dab! Then I rooste to the top in 2nd gear at about 7,000 rpm! Coming down the dune was very predictable and actually fun. I then got into the woods section, complete with tree roots crossing the trail at all angles. The bike tracked straight. I then started getting comfortable with riding like I was on a much smaller bike. I completed a trail that I never thought I would do on the Tiger. I recommend the Trakmaster II's to anyone that doesn't mind loosing some on road manners, but gaining 10 fold offroad ability.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2002, 06:44 PM   #2
TigersCanFly OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Talking Here they are.....Kenda 760 TrakMaster II

TRACTION
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2002, 07:51 PM   #3
Rob Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Thanks for the report. Only 75mph so far. Dam that is out my drive-way speed

Keep us posted on their wear. As I do 99% on road, but want to do more off road play. I have thought about getting a 2nd set of rims. One with street and one with mostly dirt. As it is almost impossible, for me, to change a tire on the Tiger.
I want to do the Trans-Continential trail this summer, but stree tires are out and dirt tires wound be wasted befor I got to the trail.

How about price and where you got them.
Rob Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 12:06 PM   #4
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,150
tire wear data point

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Z
"Thanks for the report. Only 75mph so far. Dam that is out my drive-way speed

Keep us posted on their wear. As I do 99% on road, but want to do more off road play. I have thought about getting a 2nd set of rims. One with street and one with mostly dirt. As it is almost impossible, for me, to change a tire on the Tiger.
I want to do the Trans-Continential trail this summer, but stree tires are out and dirt tires wound be wasted befor I got to the trail."
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
Since I run a sidecar, I can't comment on cornering or roadholding qualities of these tires on a solo bike(apples and oranges, doncha know). BUT I am extremely hard on tires; I regularly commute on pavement, do the occasional fully loaded 200- 500 mile pavement slog to get to a run or rally, and frequently do full throttle thrashes on logging roads and trails, desert, rocks, mud, logs -you name it.
The Trackmaster hums on pavement and wears off fairly soon, but doesn't melt before your eyes. I like it in the mud and rocks.
I prefer the Kenda K270 on the back( doesn't come in 19 so out of luck for the front:mad:) The knobs on the K270 are closer together, making it a little better on pavement and giving longer wear. This is a disadvantage in gooey stuf- I have had it clog in snow and mud, but if you can keep forward momentum it does OK. It is a good compromise in my opinion. I have heard mixed reviews from solo riders, but I have a friend who runs this on his KLR and does a lot of dualsport stuff; he likes it.
The Conti Twinduro TKC 80 is a nice DOT knobbie that comes in OEM sizes for the Tiger, which means it will fit under the front fender. I got OK wear out a set of these; if they weren't twice the cost of Kendas I would probably run them still.
I got caught short when I replaced the tires this spring so I bought a Pirelli MT21 Rallycross the local shop had for the front. At 120/80 19, it just barely fits the front of my bike, and only because I replaced the stock fender with a UFO dirt fender mounted to the lower triple tree. It doesn't look like I will get spectacular wear from this tire , but so far it is holding up. It is fun in the gravel and mud.
Because I've changed my front fender I have a greater range of tires that will fit the front, although most of them are intended for rear tires. I regularly use Kings 110/90 19. They are a cheap oriental knobbie found on sale in dirtbike shops. So far they have worn very well. THey hum like crazy on pavement; I ramped mine pretty severely coming home from the Mt. Raineer snow camp doing 80 down I-5 with passenger and full camp gear. ' handled OK and they had been on since October.
Last year I literally melted the knobs off a Cheng Shen, in about 50 miles . They only lasted 1 1/2 days on the bike
I have run Avon, Dunstal, Pirelli and Conti Dualsport tires with the 90%-10% type tread. Most of them wore fine on the street and rode quite, but sucked in any type of dirt. The Dunlop(don't remember what model) was a rear with a deeper, more agro tread than the others. It was good in dry dirt and gravel, but wore out very quickly( I did use a Dunlop desert tire on the front with very good results ).
For the Trans Continental, could you run street tires until you get close to the technical stuff and arrange to have fresh knobs waithing for you at a shop near the start of the trail(and maybe fresh streets waiting at the end)?
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____
"How about price and where you got them. "
Try Chaparral, Dennis Kirk, MAW or

http://www.tiresunlimited.com/

RedMenace screwed with this post 05-05-2002 at 01:07 PM
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:25 AM   #5
JayV2
Muddy Boxer

Oddometer: 326
TrakMaster II Revisited

Figured I'd dredge this thread back up and see if anyone else has recent experience with these tires.
I'm looking for a 17/21" knobbie setup that simply needs to be the most agressive knobbie possible for mixed terrain. DOT status is unimportant since the bike will not be ridden on the road with these tires.
Could use a 130/90-17 or 140/80-17 rear.
The TrakMaster looks pretty good among a short list of competitors since the 17" rear wheel size is the limiting factor.
JayV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:44 AM   #6
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
I use the K760 on the rear of my DRZ400 all the time. I'm on my fifth or sixth one. I have it set up as a deep geared, serious off road bike. I prefer the K776 on the front, however.

They are excellent DOT off road tires. I've tried 'em all.

My Photos In Google Earth
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:02 AM   #7
JayV2
Muddy Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ400SK4
I use the K760 on the rear of my DRZ400 all the time. I'm on my fifth or sixth one. I have it set up as a deep geared, serious off road bike. I prefer the K776 on the front, however.
Great pics
- any specific reason you prefer the 776 front vs the 760?
(from the standpoint of versatile off-road traction & no street)
Old 04-30-2008, 06:08 AM   #8
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayV2
Figured I'd dredge this thread back up and see if anyone else has recent experience with these tires.
I'm looking for a 17/21" knobbie setup that simply needs to be the most agressive knobbie possible for mixed terrain. DOT status is unimportant since the bike will not be ridden on the road with these tires.
Could use a 130/90-17 or 140/80-17 rear.
The TrakMaster looks pretty good among a short list of competitors since the 17" rear wheel size is the limiting factor.
If you don't need dot there are a lot of MX tires that do better than the 760's for hard riding. The 760's have tall knobs, but are quite heavy and have a weird feel if you push them hard in the dirt as compared to a mx tire (I bought a YZ once that came with 760's). I don't know what is available in a 17" rear though so a 760 might be as good as it gets. Also, I'm guessing that whatever bike you are riding with a 17" rear may not be a real dirt bike and you may not push it hard enough for the differences in flex charcteristics of the carcas to matter much.

At the least you could pick an off road only front tire to save some weight and gain a little performance. Something like a dunlop 952 makes a good all around front tire for trail riding on mixed terrian.

good luck

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:09 AM   #9
dirt missile
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
I just mounted one that I found by accident at the salvage yard while looking for car parts. It had about 90-95% left on it… for $10! Now that’s a deal! (who the hell would though away a new tire like that?)
Man, what a great off road DOT tire. A little different from my IRC GP-1 on the road, but who cares.
I tried it in some wet & muddy and suddenly I was a much better rider. Tractors right through the muck. But WOW is it noisy on the road, and rides a bit funny on the tarmac… on the DRZ, anyway. For that matter it was loose in the hard pack turns too, but awesome in a straight line.
I have a new set of Maxxis 6006’s waiting to be mounted, but now I’m wondering… ahh, I still have to try the 6006’s, they look really knarly. Anyone try them yet?
dirt missile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:26 AM   #10
JayV2
Muddy Boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt missile
I have a new set of Maxxis 6006’s waiting to be mounted, but now I’m wondering… ahh, I still have to try the 6006’s, they look really knarly. Anyone try them yet?
I was eyeing the Maxxis 6001's when I stumbled across the TrakMasters. They look pretty agressive, but I don't think they are DOT if it matters.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:28 AM   #11
paochow
Bye bye desert

Oddometer: 1,177
I'm another fan of the Trackmaster II. Works great in the soft stuff and wears ok on the hard stuff. I've used them on my DRZ and EXC both with excellent results.

Just make sure to take it easy on the pavement for the first 100mi or so, otherwise the tire can start to chunk.
paochow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:29 AM   #12
paochow
Bye bye desert

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayV2
I was eyeing the Maxxis 6001's when I stumbled across the TrakMasters. They look pretty agressive, but I don't think they are DOT if it matters.
Trackmasters are DOT, stamped right on the tire.
paochow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:39 AM   #13
DRZ400SK4
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,047
Quote:
Any specific reason you prefer the 776 front vs the 760?

The front K760 tends to get a little squirrely on pavement. The 776 hooks up just as well in the dirt, but has better pavement manners.

The K776 is the closest thing I could find to the Michelin AC10 (Also a great off road front tire), buts it's much cheaper, and seems to work and last just as well.

My Photos In Google Earth

DRZ400SK4 screwed with this post 04-30-2008 at 06:44 AM
DRZ400SK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 07:30 PM   #14
jgunsett
Goin' Coastal

Oddometer: 497
I'm on my 3rd set of Trackmasters on my DRZ400S. It's just about the best thing you'll find in a DOT knobby, and is great in just about all conditions (fair in mud, great in just about anything else you'll hit). I have the Michelin Ac-10s on my CRF450X. The AC-10s are lighter, and better off road, but they're also a lot more expensive, and don't last nearly as long as the Kendas. I've heard of a lot of riders running a Pirelli DOT knobby on the front (not sure of the model, but I think it's an M-16) and a Kenda Trackmaster on the back. I'm going to try this combo next on my DRZ.

"Life's Short - Turn Up the Bass!"
jgunsett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 05:00 AM   #15
Transalp Jas
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 806
I ran trackmaster II's on my 'alp for a season awhile back. Great tires, but I went through them pretty fast. Great on the road, even better in the dirt. I'd still buy them again, but not if I was planning a lot of travelling. Planning to add a second bike for road duty, and after that it'll probaly be all trackmasterII's for the 'alp.

Chuck Norrris has never gotten a Jeopardy question wrong. Jesus has missed two.
Transalp Jas is offline   Reply With Quote