Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #16
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayChile
cool bikes,
how big of a fuel tank can you put on? max range and all that.
thanks
An IMS tank came with my bike. I haven't tried mounting it yet. It's 3.9 gallons. I just got the bike and haven't run through a tank of gas to know what kind of mileage I'll be getting, but I'm hoping it'll be at least 45 mpg.

What kind of mileage do you all get?

Rob in Seattle
Old 02-16-2008, 11:45 PM   #17
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonymalc
I too have a husky TE250...]
I see you have the Pro-Moto rear rack? How'd ya do that?

I'd really like to be able to do a few of the local GS-type rallies this summer with the bike. I need to figure out how to carry tent/sleeping bag & pad, etc.

Easy when you have a bike with two big honkin' Zega bags...(like my old R80G/S) more of a challenge with this bike! I like a challenge...

Rob in Seattle
Old 02-17-2008, 06:34 AM   #18
kittycactus OP
Banned

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by sled_rider
Here is mine

I like the skid plates - who made it and what did it run you if you don't mind me asking. That's something I still need to get for mine.
kittycactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:52 AM   #19
Sonymalc
I'm Just Here

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
How quiet are they with the stock exhaust, and will they run that way or are they too weak? I would like nothing better than to only have to put on a skid plate and barkbusters.
They are actaully very quiet, The intake suck sound seems louder then the exhaust, and they run great that way. Main thing you gotta do is just get the jetting dialed. The sound is actaully really deep, alot of people think its a 450. I put the rooster skid plate on mine and the pro bend acerbis bark busters using triple clamp mounts.

FOLLOW ME ON MY SPOT

2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2004 Husqvarna TE250 now a 310
1997 BMW R1100RT
1997 Fantic Section 250
1972 Honda SL70
1990 Honda Transalp (sold)
Dreaming of that new GS1200

Lowrance iFINDER Expedition™ C
Lowrance XOG
Sonymalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 06:55 AM   #20
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycactus
I like the skid plates - who made it and what did it run you if you don't mind me asking. That's something I still need to get for mine.
Those look like Uptite skidplates, I have one also, very nice units

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:00 AM   #21
Sonymalc
I'm Just Here

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhar54
I see you have the Pro-Moto rear rack? How'd ya do that?

I'd really like to be able to do a few of the local GS-type rallies this summer with the bike. I need to figure out how to carry tent/sleeping bag & pad, etc.

Easy when you have a bike with two big honkin' Zega bags...(like my old R80G/S) more of a challenge with this bike! I like a challenge...

Rob in Seattle
It is very easy actaully. You need to buy from Husky the 06 TE610 rear support frame for its rack. The rear subframes are the same on both the TE models. So its a direct fit with the existing hardware.

Then you have to order your rack from pro moto for a Husky 610. The hardest part of doing the install is drilling straight holes in the fender for it to come up through. I used a stepper drill bit, but you have to drill a pilot hole first because of the bends in the plastic fender. Just take your time and It will come out clean. Just line up the mounting holes in the husky bracket and mark on your fender so they line up to the racks hardware.

FOLLOW ME ON MY SPOT

2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2004 Husqvarna TE250 now a 310
1997 BMW R1100RT
1997 Fantic Section 250
1972 Honda SL70
1990 Honda Transalp (sold)
Dreaming of that new GS1200

Lowrance iFINDER Expedition™ C
Lowrance XOG
Sonymalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:07 AM   #22
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,758
on my TC I got 40 MPG last hare scrambles. I think the TE mileage has to be directly related to how fast you are going, which leads me to ask how fast can you ride one of these on pavement?

Also, if you haven't done the FCR vent filter mod, do it. They will suck dirt in. I added 4 little filters with check valves I got from Kevin's Cycles in Mass.

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 07:51 AM   #23
kittycactus OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
Those look like Uptite skidplates, I have one also, very nice units
Okay, that's good to know because that's who we were going to get one from.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:12 AM   #24
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,708
Yep, Uptite skid plate.
The bike is very quiet with the stock muffler, and I like it that way. As stated, the intake honk is almost louder than the exhaust.
Easiest way to dial in the jetting is get the JD Jetting kit.
I have the Kevin's Cycle vent filters too, although I think there are other folks selling a similar deal now.
I got 52 mpg once while trail riding. Stays pretty steady around 50 for me. I would say 100 mile range with the stock tank, never actually ran it that far though.
I try to keep it down to 50~55 mph on the street. It will do more (71 mph my max) but I like to baby the engine. Some guys out west gear them up but I personally would like 1st even a little lower.
I put a Scott's steering damper with a BRP sub-mount on mine. Not really because the bike needs it, but I have a bad shoulder and ride rocks a lot.
I personally haven't replaced the cooling system "Y" or the crossover tube. I don't think the 250 is as prone to hot running as the bigger TE's (and they are all OK if you jet them right). YMMV
As far as rear rack, I heard the TE610 under fender brace has been back ordered for a long time. Someone made their own I think.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com

tbirdsp screwed with this post 02-17-2008 at 10:41 AM
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:44 AM   #25
EuroFreek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
The stock exhaust is fine with a slight mod. There's a restrictor in the muffler end you can grind out. Slightly louder but noticeable improvement in power.
Main mods are a skid plate and various guards for protection. It really buy it and ride it bike. I've owned three Husky's so far ('85 WR 250, '00 TE 410, '04 TE300) and will stay in the fold for any other dirt bikes.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:51 AM   #26
sled_rider
DESERT ADV RIDER

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycactus
Yes it is an UpTite skid plate. Mine ran about $70. You can get them at http://www.uptiteracing.com/ or some of the Husky dealers do carry them. The skid plate bolted right on without needing any adjusting. It is easy to remove and you have to remove it to change the oil filter. The gas tank is an IMS 3.5 gallon and I can average about 35-40mpg if I am just play riding, so I have a range of about 100 miles on a tank. Mine has the tank, skid plate, hand guards, JD jet kit, scotts damper with BRP top triple clamp and that is it. I am thinking of the 310 kit and regearing to work a little better out in our open deserts where I do most of my riding. Love the stock pipe, quiet and this has more get up and go than my CRF250X that I raced before getting this bike. Overall rating on the bike and parts

sled_rider screwed with this post 02-17-2008 at 08:57 AM
sled_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 09:27 AM   #27
kittycactus OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroFreek
The stock exhaust is fine with a slight mod. There's a restrictor in the muffler end you can grind out. Slightly louder but noticeable improvement in power.
My husband did that to mine as well, not too loud, just sounds wicked!
Old 02-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #28
EuroFreek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Very nice, isn't it? I've done it to three 250's so far. i have a Doma pipethat's a bit louder. Unless I'm racing, I have the stock on.
The Husky 250 has only the KTM 250XCW as real competiotion from a build and performance standpoint. My Husky turns better and doesn't wear out as fast as a Yammie. The Honda is nice but they can have issues. I've done a lot of dual sports and enduros with mine for the last three years. it's never let me down.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #29
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,617
Here's a fresh question for all you TE250 owners. I have seen on the TE610 thread that the mfr. wants the con-rod rebuilt pretty frequently. What is the mfr's reccommendation on the 250 and what has everyone found when checking into it? The 610 sounded like a high maintenance engine. I'd rather ride'em than rebuild'em.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #30
reconsmr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,522
Expect life similar to a KTM RFS, anywhere from yearly rebuilds for pro level riders in the worst conditions to several years between top ends, how you ride and maintain it being the biggest determining factors. The 250 is overbuilt in the same engine case as the 450-510 but has to spin at higher RPMs to keep boiling along. Expect a full life from any of them, 610 especially so.
reconsmr is offline   Reply With Quote