Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2008, 01:51 PM   #31
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,657
The 610 will be lower maintenance than the 250/450/510.
That said, I think that deal about the 610 is just them covering their butts. Ask BigDog about his, I know he doesn't plan on a rebuild any time soon.
http://www.bigdogadventures.com

On the 250, if you go by the book for "competition motorcycle, racing use, full power engine" - it says replace the valves, timing chain, timing chain slider, piston, con rod, crank bearings, clutch disks, etc - after every 40 hours MX use and every 80 hours enduro use.

"Full power engine" means the throttle stop removed and the accel pump enabled.

For street use with "limited power engine" it has you do this stuff every 10,000 kilometers (6200 miles).

I don't know of anyone who didn't remove the stop and enable the accel pump.
I think your average trail rider is MUCH gentler on the bike than a racer. Tooling around on trails with occasional bursts to get up hills, etc is pretty easy duty IMHO. Next to actually racing, probably the worst thing for it is steady high rpm cruising on pavement.

I have about 55 hours/1100 miles on mine. Bike is running fine. I'm (over) due for a valve check. I'll report what I find.

For what I use this bike for, I'll be lucky to put 500 miles a year on it. Should last me a long time. YMMV
http://www.reddeliciousband.com

tbirdsp screwed with this post 02-19-2008 at 07:26 AM
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #32
EuroFreek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Ditto reconsmr.
My '04 has been run hard and the oil changed frequently. I've heard of far more problems with the Hondas.
As an '04 original owner I followed many threads about the Husky engines. It was new and unproven. Beyond the '04 valves I heard and experienced few problems while riding and racing it at every opportunity. I am pleased to say this bike is the best dirtbike I have ever owned.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:24 PM   #33
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,378
Another happy TE-250 owner....

I like the stock exhaust and have no plans to change it. I haven't even done the mod to it yet as the bike makes plenty of power for me as is.

About the only thing I have left to do to the bike is send the suspension out for a revalve, probably to LTR.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:46 PM   #34
Sonymalc
I'm Just Here

Oddometer: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC950
on my TC I got 40 MPG last hare scrambles. I think the TE mileage has to be directly related to how fast you are going, which leads me to ask how fast can you ride one of these on pavement?

Also, if you haven't done the FCR vent filter mod, do it. They will suck dirt in. I added 4 little filters with check valves I got from Kevin's Cycles in Mass.
I can cruise comfortably at 50 on the pavement, but I had the bike top speed at 78 according to my GPS. That is before I put the 300 kit on it.

The 300 kit helps alot for the overall engine, It does not increase top speed tho, and I still only like riding pavement at 50, It can do 60 np in a pinch.
The 300 kit adds something like 7-8 ftlbs of torque and HP accross the rev line. The biggest benifit from it is that the engine does not work nearly as hard, you slow the revs down alot and it lugs much better to climb hills rather then needing it to rap out and stay on pipe.

FOLLOW ME ON MY SPOT

2007 BMW G650X Challenge
2004 Husqvarna TE250 now a 310
1997 BMW R1100RT
1997 Fantic Section 250
1972 Honda SL70
1990 Honda Transalp (sold)
Dreaming of that new GS1200

Lowrance iFINDER Expedition™ C
Lowrance XOG
Sonymalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 07:06 PM   #35
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
On the 250, if you go by the book for "competition motorcycle, racing use, full power engine" - it says replace the valves, timing chain, timing chain slider, piston, con rod, crank bearings, clutch disks, etc - after every 40th MX race and every 80th enduro.
40h MX/80h EN

I was just pouring over this table last night, and I'm not quite sure what "P" means ("S" = service, "C" = check, ok, got that...) but I think it means every 40 HOURS for a motocrosser (the TC), every 80 HOURS for a bike that does enduros (the TE).

Rob in Seattle
Old 02-18-2008, 09:15 PM   #36
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonymalc
The 300 kit helps alot for the overall engine, It does not increase top speed tho, and I still only like riding pavement at 50, It can do 60 np in a pinch.
The 300 kit adds something like 7-8 ftlbs of torque and HP accross the rev line. The biggest benifit from it is that the engine does not work nearly as hard, you slow the revs down alot and it lugs much better to climb hills rather then needing it to rap out and stay on pipe.

With the increase in torque, I'm sure the bike would have no problem with some taller gearing that would help both top speed, and lowering the revs while cruising.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:15 AM   #37
kittycactus OP
Banned

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhar54
40h MX/80h EN

I was just pouring over this table last night, and I'm not quite sure what "P" means ("S" = service, "C" = check, ok, got that...) but I think it means every 40 HOURS for a motocrosser (the TC), every 80 HOURS for a bike that does enduros (the TE).

Rob in Seattle
According to the legend on page 286 of my manual P = Cleaning, R = Overhaul/Revision, L = Greasing/Lubricating. It's hard to read the manual since it's in five different languages.

kittycactus screwed with this post 02-19-2008 at 09:51 AM
kittycactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:33 AM   #38
tbirdsp
REMF

Quote:
40h MX/80h EN

Rob in Seattle
You're right Rob, hours makes more sense. I just saw in the legend where "h" = "hours". Sorry for the bad info. I don't think they differentiate between the TC or TE though, just on how the bike is used.
"S" = "replacement", not service

While I'm sure the 300 kit is great, I want to say that I am constantly amazed at how much grunt this thing has for a 250. I have lugged it down to where I was sure it would stall but it just keeps on truckin.

tbirdsp screwed with this post 02-19-2008 at 07:28 AM
Old 02-19-2008, 09:22 AM   #39
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
I don't think they differentiate between the TC or TE though, just on how the bike is used.
That makes sense, thanks. Let's see, where does this fit in: woods and fire road riding with a bit o' back roads and some highway to get there, plus short commutes to work (just because it is SO much fun to ride this bike)?

I'm about to order a case of Agip 10W-60 from American Agip. $147 including shipping for 12 one-liter bottles. No one around here carries it, as far as I can tell.

Rob in Seattle
Old 02-19-2008, 12:39 PM   #40
tbirdsp
REMF

Yeah, some will slam you for using the $$$ recommended oil, but I do the same thing. Not like it takes a lot. I change mine fairly often, but I'm certainly not in the "change after every ride" crowd.

I'm gonna go with double the enduo hours for now Even then I probably won't mess with it until it shows some signs of getting tired. Good excuse for that 300 kit...
Old 02-19-2008, 05:33 PM   #41
Lambo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Wink

Quote:
Woo hoo! Our own thread!

Here I am on my first ever dirt ride, on the TE250 that was shortly thereafter to become my first ever dirt bike....

And here's Lambo's ride report:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307887

I have a deposit down on a F800GS...which of course has been delayed until September or October. So I started thinking, hey, I'll get a dual sport thumper instead...so started looking seriously at a G650X or TE610E. After riding the TE250 though, it became really clear to me that THIS was the bike to learn to ride in the dirt on. As it turned out Lambo was amenable to selling the bike... The deal was done. I'm in the process of getting appropriate boots and armor, looking forward to getting out and learning how to do this!

Lambo had already done a great job setting up the bike with the JD jet kit, rerouting breather hoses, and an IMS tank. My next step is to figure out how to carry lightweight overnight camping gear, for the occasional foray. Seems it is possible to fit anything that fits the TE450 or TE510.

Rob in Seattle

Nice Bike Rob.....

Support Mental Health or I'll Kill you.

Ironically, Chuck Norris’ hidden talent is invisibility.
Lambo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:56 PM   #42
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo
Nice Bike Rob.....
LOL--thanks! I still can't believe you agreed to sell it to me! I guess that new 530 EXC will be a small consolation.... Bong is going to help me get the TE up to Tasky's next week, where Jeff will probably replace the fork and rear shock springs with something that suits my, um, greater bulk. Also ordering up a rear rack kit from Pro-Moto Billet.

Anyone know the output of the electrical system? Or more to the point, the excess capacity? Anyone run a heated vest and/or grips? I've got an outlet for a heated vest on my SR500 even...so I'm hoping it will be possible on the TE as well. Probably a bit much to expect from a 250 lb dirt bike with lights...

This bike is so cool.

Rob in Seattle
Old 02-21-2008, 11:02 PM   #43
DaveBro
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
Enough of this yakkin'. Here's my bike at the most scenic part of last year's Sheet Iron 300.
Attached Images

DaveBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:39 PM   #44
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, just learned my buddy who installed heated grips and such on his 450 EXC (which is what gave me the idea it might be possible on the TE250) changed out the stator and switched to a DC system.

Anyway, I'm starting to understand that the issue with riding in the dirt is more often staying cool rather than staying warm.

Thank you for your patience!

Rob in Seattle
Old 02-22-2008, 03:44 AM   #45
kittycactus OP
Banned

Oddometer: 578
Quote:
Anyway, I'm starting to understand that the issue with riding in the dirt is more often staying cool rather than staying warm.
LOL! Yes it is. I've learned to wear layers and bring an extra pair of lighter gloves, start with heavier ones. Usually after I've been out for about a half hour I'm ready to get rid of some layers and shove them in my Camelbak, and that's riding in temps in the low 30's. I have Raynauds and will sometimes put the chemical handwarmers in my gloves, that usually does the trick.
kittycactus is offline   Reply With Quote