Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2008, 08:11 AM   #46
EuroFreek
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
You can also use the handlebar mitts in cold weather. It allows you to wear regular riding gloves. Keeps your hands dry as well. Cheapest option and easily removed.
I have put heated grips on several bikes. No need to go to a different stator as long as that's it for the accessories. If you wire it into the harness on a hot wire after the ignition switch they won't come on unless the bike is running.
You can also send your stator to Ricky Stator to be re-wound.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:18 PM   #47
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhar54
Well, just learned my buddy who installed heated grips and such on his 450 EXC (which is what gave me the idea it might be possible on the TE250) changed out the stator and switched to a DC system.

Anyway, I'm starting to understand that the issue with riding in the dirt is more often staying cool rather than staying warm.

Thank you for your patience!

Rob in Seattle
Keeping cool is important no doubt, but I was much happier trail riding in the winter/spring after I put grip warmers on my DRZ.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #48
Honard
Inbreds Rule

Oddometer: 52
Jawbone Canyon Ride on Tuesday

Husky TE250 on a ride with my 11 year old son at Jawbone Canyon.
Attached Images

Honard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #49
BentAero
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
At Brushy Mountain Motor Sports Park near Morganton, NC last fall:

In the CA desert between Randsburg and Jawbone Canyon last November:

'07 FJR-1300A Serious Sport-Touring
'06 SV-650S Serious ... Ok, it's not serious.

www.ridemsta.com
BentAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:38 AM   #50
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Dual Sportin'

Who has gone a fair distance with their TE250? Can it be a minimalist back road and off-road tourer?

I'm pondering a couple rallies this summer I might have done with my F800GS, had it arrived...or an Xchallenge or TE610, had I bought one of those instead of the TE250. It could be a couple thousand miles altogether--about two weeks of rallies strung together, from Seattle to Idaho and back. What would that be, six oil changes? Gear up to 14:50 maybe. Mount the IMS tank.

This wasn't at all the reason I bought the TE--but I'm wondering if I could extend its mission, so to speak.

Experience?

Rob in Seattle
Old 02-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #51
jessehere
Ridin'

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Who has gone a fair distance with their TE250? Can it be a minimalist back road and off-road tourer?
\
it would be a sin to run the te250 any distance on asphalt. it's gear box is very close ratio and it revs very high even if you change the sprockets.
stick to the dirt as much as possible. the thing is a blast
jessehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:45 AM   #52
sled_rider
DESERT ADV RIDER

Oddometer: 113
175 mile Dual Sport ride Saturday down in the San Diego Area
sled_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:44 PM   #53
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,617
Quote:
I think it would be fine if you are talking backroads, but it would truly suck if you have to spend time on the freeway. I broke mine in on a lot of San Diego backroads, and a 200 mile day was rough. I don't think the bike is going to blow up or anything, and probably can run at 8-9K all day in reality, but it's not going to be fun, and your ass will probably not enjoy it either. That is one seat that is not really meant for sitting.

I know when I had the bike at West Fest last year, I didn't mind all the offroad miles, but the last 50 miles back to camp on the pavement sucked. Still, no problem ripping along at 60mph. I guess it will depend on what you're used to.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #54
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe
That is one seat that is not really meant for sitting.
I'm hoping it's like riding a bicycle...I'll eventually develop muscles that help make it tolerable...and spend a lot of time standing up. I wonder if anyone makes motorcycle seats that are dipped out like bicycle seats. Meanwhile, I might try that dual water bottle thingie that straps over the seat I've seen people use over on the TE610 thread. Can't remember what it's called.
Edit: Found it. Sweet Cheeks! http://www.cycle-analyst.com/sweetcheeks.htm

I just took my bike up to Tasky's today, for a couple mods. LT Racing will do the suspension, adjusting fore and aft spring rates and revalving for my 210 lb weight and novice riding abilities. Also getting the ProTech bar riser and a new FatBar, to get the bars up, with a little less sweep and more rise on the bars too. I'm 6'2", and I found I was leaning forward in order to reach the controls, weighting the front too much and getting myself all hunched over. I'm going to be adding Moose heated grips and ProGrip grips, and an outlet...give it a try with an Aerostich vest. Maybe alternating grips and vest.

Asked Jeff about the Dunlop D803 rear tire that came with the bike. It's apparently the absolute best rear tire for our area--lots of rocks, mud and roots. No shoulder for riding on the street though. Run it at 7 lbs!

-Rob in Seattle

robhar54 screwed with this post 02-29-2008 at 11:23 PM
robhar54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:49 AM   #55
NQDudette
Husky Banana

Oddometer: 90
TE250 - Australia

Hi Folks,
I'm a relatively new female face to the forum - Absolutely love all the fantastic info to be found on these threads - Has helped me out plenty when deciding what bike would best suit me etc..

This is my new baby - shes a 2006 te250...very pretty and I am trying very hard to keep her that way - Tricky seeing I am still a novice... LOL..
Okay, well when I get some nice action shots - will share them where/when appropriate... Cheers!

NQDudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:03 AM   #56
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by NQDudette
This is my new baby - shes a 2006 te250...very pretty and I am trying very hard to keep her that way - Tricky seeing I am still a novice... LOL..

Welcome!
Here's a shot from my first real trail ride with my TE...
Attached Images

http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:26 AM   #57
NQDudette
Husky Banana

Offroad.... off track...off bike.... DOH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp

Welcome!
Here's a shot from my first real trail ride with my TE...

LOL...yes well I can pretty much relate to that photo !!!.... Beauty is, no-one has follwed me yet with a camera!!!
Old 03-24-2008, 09:11 AM   #58
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi Folks,
I'm a relatively new female face to the forum - Absolutely love all the fantastic info to be found on these threads - Has helped me out plenty when deciding what bike would best suit me etc..

Okay, well when I get some nice action shots - will share them where/when appropriate... Cheers!
Welcome! Where are you in North Queensland? My wife's family is in Mackay. She grew up in Finch Hatton. I can imagine that'd be an amazing area to ride. Keep us posted!

Rob in Seattle
Old 03-24-2008, 03:27 PM   #59
NQDudette
Husky Banana

Quote:
Welcome! Where are you in North Queensland? My wife's family is in Mackay. She grew up in Finch Hatton. I can imagine that'd be an amazing area to ride. Keep us posted!

Rob in Seattle
Hi Rob, Thanks for the welcome - we are in Townsville which is about 3 hrs drive north of Mackay. Finch Hatton is an absolutely beautiful area of the coast!! Its been ages since I have last been to the Finch Hatton Gorge...must make the effort again when next nearby...
cheers!
Old 03-27-2008, 01:39 PM   #60
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hi Rob, Thanks for the welcome - we are in Townsville which is about 3 hrs drive north of Mackay. Finch Hatton is an absolutely beautiful area of the coast!! Its been ages since I have last been to the Finch Hatton Gorge...must make the effort again when next nearby...
cheers!
Off topic, but here's a pic of Finch Hatton Gorge...

And the surrounding valley...

I would LOVE to ride there someday...on my TE-250...

Rob in Seattle