ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2008, 09:26 AM   #46
Powershouse OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,155
GPS Waypoints!

Benp1981 has posted a file with gps waypoint for all 106 Rustic Roads:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=27

Great tool for RR hunting!
Old 05-26-2008, 07:48 PM   #47
Powershouse OP
Beastly Adventurer

Racked some up over Memorial Day

I set out Friday to find some RRs across central and southern WI, then work my way over to the Bonzai Rally in Richland Center Saturday evening. I was a little confused when I saw this, but I double checked and confirmed that I was in Badgerland.

Any doubt that I was in Badgerland was erased when an official representative of the State of Wisconsin took time out from her day to remind me to ride safe! My lucky day, she only warned me to be safe.

With that in mind it was back to the task at hand - hunting up Rustic Roads!

I had hoped to get all the way out to the southeast corner of the state, but plans changed when I had tire trouble in Madison. The ST1100 has an oddball rear tire size. I struck out with the first three calls I made then had the good fortune to talk to Steve and Judy Parker at Madison Motorsports. Judy checked and found they didn't have any in stock, but Steve had a Metzeler Z6 at home for HIS ST1100, so he ran home and fetched it and we got it mounted up for my bike. How's that for service! Great folks and I encourage you to call on them if you are in the Madison area.

I won't bore you with pictures of the thirty or so RR signs I found this weekend, but I did see some other neat stuff along the way. Driving by a biker bar in Lead Mine, WI I spotted a mutt-parked Victory Vision. I stuck my head in the joint to let folks know that one of their bikes was taking a nap. The owner told me it wasn't a problem - turns out he doesn't use the kickstand, he just lets it drop. He followed me out and picked it up and dropped it to show me how it worked. Takes all kinds I guess.

Not as strange to me, but maybe to others, was this crew of rock knockers near Devils Lake. I'm a rock guy myself and enjoy putting my nose on an outcrop so I stopped to join them. They were a group of students from UW-Green Bay. The outcrop was primarily quartzite (metamorphosed sandstone) which retained ripple marks and cross bedding from original deposition as lacustrine sand. But you spotted that already right?

Riding home today I saw a lot of activity in the fields as farmers were hard at work. This guy was driving a six-horse team near cashton. I've always been impressed with working animals and it was neat to see how this team worked together.

I've finished up the Southwest part of the state - now to start planning the next outing!
Old 06-02-2008, 02:50 PM   #48
JJMSP
Cervicalgia

Oddometer: 1,545
Two of four

My starting plan was four on Saturday and only made two of them.

The 1st one reminded me of the Black hills -

The second road was a challenge due to a parade. As soon as the camara was noticed the three girls turned around:

That float and many others made this 2 mile ride cut short:

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ~ T.S. Elliot

Save $5 when you join smugmug! use code yvtwmtzwtnSZA
JJMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #49
Powershouse OP
Beastly Adventurer

Huh? beauty queens that don't like cameras?
Go figure.

That R-26 is nice isn't it? I rode that just after they put fresh pavement down last year. Nice indeed!
Old 06-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #50
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,510
425 miles chasing signs today....

Up to 41 roads.

You see the strangest things out in the country

BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #51
Powershouse OP
Beastly Adventurer

Too much momback!

Way to go benp1981!

That firetruck guy needs to work on his momback!
Old 06-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #52
yaitisme
Gigity gigity Gig-it-y!

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse
Way to go benp1981!

That firetruck guy needs to work on his momback!
Oh, momback!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXgWrJQEKlc

2008 Kawasaki KLR6Fitty (red, the fast one)

Yamaha XJ600S Seca II (red, the fast one)

RIP '04 Kawasaki KLR2Fitty (red, the fast one)

"The North American P-51-D Mustang with the Rolls-Royce designed, Packard built, Merlin engine and Laminar flow wing is the greatest airplane ever built. We should build more of them, just because we can." Brian Nelson
yaitisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #53
Powershouse OP
Beastly Adventurer

Look, it's a two'fer

Near Baldwin...it doesn't get any easier than this!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #54
Powershouse OP
Beastly Adventurer

Milwaukee Trip

Got out to Summerfest to catch the Stevie Wonder concert. Along the way we swung through Lake Delton . Still plenty of Ducks driving about but there won't be any water ski shows for a while.

Old Stevie put on a good show and seemed to be having fun. I grabbed my Summerfest go-to combo, a turkey drumstick and a cold beer and indulged in some great people watching. During the day we got out and picked up some nearby rustic roads. Found my favorite RR to date, R-33 near Holy Hill. This one has 12.5 miles of pavement that winds up down and around the kettle moraine. Fun stuff! The church spires atop Holy Hill are quite imposing and can be seen for miles around.

Chasing rustic roads can be hard work and a fellow needs to keep his energy up. Stopped at this lovely spot in Cederburg for a scenic lunch. Good tip Mike!

Powershouse screwed with this post 06-30-2008 at 08:16 PM
Powershouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:15 PM   #55
judjonzz
Beastly

Oddometer: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powershouse

Near Baldwin...it doesn't get any easier than this!
Just outside Glenwood City, actually. There's another one just south by Glenwood Hills park.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:51 AM   #56
Powershouse OP
Beastly Adventurer

Things I never knew

Exploring the countryside at flower-sniffing speeds can be an educational experience. Now I know that the timber in Cornell, WI was cut down by Ezra Cornell to pay for Cornell University.

I also made an interesting observation while exploring for Rustic Roads over the Fourth. It appears that girls floating on tubes in rivers are much more...shall we say, free spirited ...than girls floating on tubes in lakes. I'd show you pictures, but you know the rules.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:36 AM   #57
Powershouse OP
Beastly Adventurer

I took advantage of the Fourth of July weekend to visit my son the Boy Scout. He's working as a counselor at Tomahawk Scout Reservation again, he loves spending his summer living in a tent. Yup, I'm proud of him.

I took a scenic route up to visit him, snagging some RRs along the way. As I planned to travel a lot of gravel roads and explore some forests, I took the KLR.

After my visit with Mitch I headed up to Hayward and beyond. Hayward is one of my favorite towns, and the Moccasin Bar is one of my favorite places. Oh, and the bakery on the main drag downtown - you don't want to miss that! Past Hayward I went after R-95 in the Chequamegon-Nicollet Forest

Now I was in KLR territory! I stuck to the gravel forest roads, but there seemed to be two-track trails leading every which way. This is definitely an area I would like to explore in greater detail; I need to do some homework and gather maps and gps tracks for the area. There looks to be a lot of fun to be had here!

There are some great paved roads also. Anyone going through Spider Lake area should take a run on Nf-205 - this is a wonderful roller coaster roads with lots of twists, turns, ups and downs. I ran it both ways just for kicks

I'm now up to 49 Rustic Roads. I'm thinking I can finish the century in three more outings. One will be to the southeast corner of the state; I'll be able to tie that into a business trip. A second trip will be over to Green Bay and up the Door Penninsula. I've never been to Door County so I'm looking forward to this. Suggestions for places to see, eat or stay are welcome! The third trip will be up and along the UP border country. I may do that in conjunction with the Central ADV Rally.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #58
ddn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Rustic Road 32

First try at this here posting thing. I've really enjoyed the ride reports and since RR 32 is about 10 miles from my house, I thought I'd share. 32 kinda parallels the Phestigo River so there are a bunch of waterfalls along route. Gonna have to do it in the spring when he water is higher. Anyway, enjoy (more pics at my photobucket site - click on last pic to go there).

Starting from the north end near Goodman, WI.

First 20 or so miles is gravel, then last 20 is typical northwoods pavement.

Lots of these: (Strong Falls - Goodman Park)

Saw one of his brood mates along the side of the road, and when he flushed I stopped and looked around but only found one other:

Veteran's Falls

Kayak Dog

On the way home, I came across this stretch where a bunch of trees looked like they had been snapped off about 1/3 of the way up. Crazy thing was that it looked like they all snapped off about the same height. Anyone know what's up with dat?

Pic trying to show the above:

Was going to head over and hit RR 74 on the way home, but got a message that my son might have broke his wrist playing soccer.

The End (click on pic to go to my photobucket account for more pics).
ddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #59
Powershouse OP
Beastly Adventurer

Great first report DDN! I got a chuckle out of that big dog in the kayak.

Hope your son is ok!
Old 07-14-2008, 06:31 AM   #60
ddn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
74 and 34

74 starts near Fence, WI (or ends, depending on your heading). Anyway, you know you there when you spot these critters.

Well, at least the sign isn't all shot up.

Popple River.

Saving my pennies and next year that Shadow will be gone and something dual sport will replace it (leaning towards a Uly right now - wife also likes to come along). I thought my dirt bike itch had been scratched a long time ago (I was born and spent my youth in the UP on dirt bikes), but the discovery of this site and the "discovery" of the Beast-type dual sport opens up a whole new realm of possibilities.

End (or beginning) of 74.

RR34 is just down the road from 74, and after the turn off from 70 there is not a sign for the RR. But, there is this and the next five miles were pretty much constant lefts and rights. Damn, really got to get something that will be a lot more fun on these types of road. Plus, there are so many forest roads in this area, I think it would take a long time to ride them all.

Click on pic to go to my photobucket acct for a few more photos. It was kinda drizzling and didn't want to damage my son's camera.
ddn is offline   Reply With Quote