ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #76
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Oddometer: 663
It Continues...

Knocked off 7 more today. Let me just say that for the record I am 41 and I have never ever broken a bone in my body. This should be the clue that I have never ridden a dirt bike. In fact before today I am pretty sure I have only ridden on 3 or 4 dirt roads in my life and I cant remember any of them having any curves or hills! So there were a few learning moments. Lucky I didn't set anything down or break any bones. Will be a while before I try R51 with its "several stream crossings..."

Also note the high tech mapping device attached to my bike... (I cant wait for my GPS mount or tank bag to finally show up...)

9 Down only 91 or 98 more to go...
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Rustic Roads Century Progress
lonerockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:04 AM   #77
Powershouse OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,194
Alright Steve! Good to see you getting after them.

No worries about R51, I'm sure you've ridden through deeper rain puddles than the water crossings along that road. Now R50, with the deep sand, that road has a pucker factor .
Old 05-04-2009, 06:45 AM   #78
Coopdway
Curiouser

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz
.... Will be a while before I try R51 with its "several stream crossings..."
Steve, not to worry about a little water. The Helix didn't float away; your Versys will be just fine.

I did a water crossing last fall at the County Park in Esofea, a detour around a washed out bridge. Not sure what the status is on that one yet since I haven't been down there yet this year, but during high(er) water, a guy might just want to be careful on a scooter. No need to make the Westby Times.
-----------------------------
Coop's Corner
Coopdway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #79
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Doug, your making me feel better about my chances on R51. I still plan to wait for later this summer when the spring rains and melt are done!

Powershouse, thanks for the heads up on 50! I was going to do that on the way to TWistar with a buddy who rides an ST1100. Might do it alone now.
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Old 05-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #80
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,582
Quote:
Doug, your making me feel better about my chances on R51. I still plan to wait for later this summer when the spring rains and melt are done!

Powershouse, thanks for the heads up on 50! I was going to do that on the way to TWistar with a buddy who rides an ST1100. Might do it alone now.
Looks like you've got the perfect bike for this kind of thing... Likin it?

The versys is currently the bike I'd buy if Mine met a tragic end tommorow.
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:19 AM   #81
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

Benron, I like the Versys a lot. I have been off bikes for 10 years and the last thing I owned was a VX800. This is a lot lighter and much more nimble. I'm still trying to find my way back to cornering fast so its a lot more capable than I am! I looked at the Vstroms, but I dont like how big the faring is. I'm used to a naked bike and the Versys's faring is as big as I want to go. It's also a lot lighter than the VStroms.

I only have four gripes.

1. No center stand because of the under mounted exhaust, making chain maintenance a pain on a trip. Would be perfect with a belt drive. There is a guy on the Versys forums that is making one, (I think he has it done), but it looks kinda... well I'm sure its mother loves it.

2. Seat tilts forward... making your nads the primary cushion between you and the road. After 300 miles I need a break! With the highway pegs I added it is much better. Like sitting in a chair. When I can afford it and can be without a seat, I will send it to Russell for a day long saddle rework.

3. I'm short... 29 inch inseam. Bike is really tall (33.5). There is a lowering kit from a guy on the Versys forum that works well, but Im trying to just deal with it.

4. Back Brake is good for A) Locking up the rear tire for impressive slides; B) Scrubbing off speed in turns. Stopping is not an option without the front. There is no rear feel what so ever. I think this is just a funciton of the very light bike with all its weight forward. Heck there is not even any muffler back there, so when you brake the weight transfers forward and then the rear breaks free easily. Should be good for stoppies if your into that kind of thing.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #82
ddn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Rr47

RR47 on Sunday, 260 mile round trip from my house. What a beautiful day it was - it's day like that that we put up with winters ;)

11 down (1, 32, 34, 44, 47, 58, 62, 74 78, 97, 100), lots to go and there are all far from my house....

ddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #83
Powershouse OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,194
Quote:
Be sure to drag him along. If he balks, tell him to hike up his skirt cause Kevin did it on HIS ST1100!
Old 05-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #84
rvandersteen
On Wisconsin!

Oddometer: 45
Sweet....

Wow it's been a while... Need to get back into ADV's forums.

I'm so happy I found this thread! I started the DOT's challenge this weekend. And have almost all the routes on my GPS. Have a summer trip planned for NW Wisconsin and MN... Hopefully will be able to knock off plenty of Rustic Roads.

I'm totally down with the Historical Markers challenge. I'm a big history buff and always stop. I wish someone had a *.gpx file of all the markers...... Maybe I need to make one!

Still 100 RR stickers left??? (one year later)

-Rob
rvandersteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #85
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvandersteen
I wish someone had a *.gpx file of all the markers...... Maybe I need to make one!
(one year later)

-Rob
Here ya go-
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394820
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:15 PM   #86
psycho klr
Qu'est-ce Que C'est

Oddometer: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENRON

I knew before I even clicked it that it would be one of cannons projects. Pretty cool.
psycho klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:16 PM   #87
rvandersteen
On Wisconsin!

missing .gpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENRON
Love the thread... but no attached .gpx file. I PM'd Cannon... But thanks!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #88
lonerockz
Permanent n00b

He sent it to me a few weeks ago. I cant get it to upload. but I put it on my web site: http://www.mccaa.com/rider/rustic_road_master.gpx
Old 05-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #89
rvandersteen
On Wisconsin!

Quote:
He sent it to me a few weeks ago. I cant get it to upload. but I put it on my web site: http://www.mccaa.com/rider/rustic_road_master.gpx
Awesome, Thanks!
Old 05-11-2009, 10:29 PM   #90
sideshow
debaser

Oddometer: 2,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvandersteen
Awesome, Thanks!
If it works, let Cannon know that he doesn't need to send you the gpx. He's out for the week working on another set of .gpx's. Likely, he will update the thread to replace the missing file anyways.
sideshow is offline   Reply With Quote