User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2015, 06:44 PM   #1
mslim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
New Member Intro R90S

Wow I'm a little self conscious posting after a beautiful Silver Smoke R90S w/ turbo and FI but here goes.

I found my bike on Ebay in 2002. I had an Airhead savvy colleague who was living in Auburn CA take a look at the bike and confirm its condition. He said it was in overall good condition and complete, but warned me that it would be expensive to restore. Preaching to the choir, right? Disregarding his sage advice, I put up a bid and went to bed. A little like the dog that caught the car, I was amazed to wake up the next morning to see I was the top bidder. (Where the Hell are all the snipers when you need them) Nonetheless I rented a trailer and drove up to Auburn to retrieve it.

It was sitting under some outdoor stairs but was a little sheltered by the eaves of the house. I was amazed at how good the original Glasurit paint looked. The usual nicks and whatnot on the rear fender and swingarm and the expected blistering from battery acid overflow and brake fluid but generally pretty nice. I liked it as it had a lot of the period SJBMW/CC Products mods. 35K showing on the dead speedo. California blue tag with the last update sticker being 1985. (Bike had not been put on a non-op so I was in shock when I went to the DMV to register it. The DMV lady took pity on me when the total topped $500 and stopped the tally. Can I get an Amen?)

The Previous Owner had passed away and his unfortunate brother was executor and charged with disposing of, not only the R90S, but a gaggle of assorted Ramblers and Nashes mouldering in the yard.

The PO had neither drained the fuel nor changed the brake fluid prior to getting too fat to ride the bike.

I made a punchlist and a "needed parts" spreadsheet and bit by bit worked my way through it. It was slow going what with earning a living and dealing with family crises and "honey-do" projects.

I was such an optimistic dumbass that one of my first purchases was a Panasonic battery. Little did I know how long it would be before I actually needed it. Optimism knows no boundaries but the little Panasonic still had enough juice that I'm still using it today to start the bike. Perhaps some credit should go to the Battery Doc I bought through the Airheads.

The carbs and brakes of course were nightmares. Suffice to say that with a stock resleeve by Mark Frappier (I'm not enough smart enough to monkey around with different m/c diameters), Speigler hoses (wish they had the OEM black available then) and m/c and caliper rebuild kits the brakes came out fine.

The Dellortos were another matter and I won't bore anyone with the minutiae but one carb rebuilt fine and the other refused to run well. I had replaced all the internal parts and they were essentially new carbs with the exception of the accelerator pump housings, carb bodies and carb slides. I have rebuilt many carbs in my lifetime from Rochester 4-barrels to V-Dub Solexes but that one Dellorto kicked my ass.

I had the left barrel off to replace pushrod seals and I didn't like the play I found in the big end of the con rod. I'm don't have any experience building engines so I looked for an Airhead mentor to help but basically there was no one (that I knew of) in my geographic area. I asked my Airhead contacts who they would recommend in the LA basin. They were unanimous on one mechanic. I decided it would be good to turn it over at this point because I didn't have any experience with steering head bearings, swingarm centering, and the myriad of other issues on an old bike that require experience and a certain "feel". The mechanic (if you're interested you can PM me) quoted me a basic figure and said that didn't include piston replacement or other high dollar parts and said it would take him a long time to do the work as he had a lot of customers depending on him to get their bikes back on the road.

He was true to his word and it took him almost a year to complete the work. He used the original pistons, honed the cylinders, replaced rod bearings, rings, tranny springs and whatnot, timing chain, tensioner, and every rubber seal he ran across. He was very communicative and always kept me appraised of what was going on. The Dellorto problem stumped him too until he borrowed a set of used PHM38's from a customer and it cured the problem. After one last try at ultrasonic cleaning and rebuilding the original Dells, I threw in the towel and bought a new set from Hermy.

I got the bike back on the road in June of last year. It starts easy and runs good with plenty of power for me (relative I guess; my neighbor has a Hayabusa with nitrous). I've been trying to hone my atrophied riding skills by doing 60 mile loop shakedown cruises. If there are any inmates in the North LA county, Ventura county area that might be looking for a riding partner, PM me off list. Like most of you I did a lot of dirt biking in my younger days (East Coast) but I don't fancy myself an adventure rider like most of the GS inmates here. I do fancy a GS because I like to camp and would like a more rough and ready bike.

Regards,
Mississippi Slim
Attached Images

mslim screwed with this post 02-05-2015 at 01:33 AM
mslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
CafeDude
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,013
Welcome! That's a very nice 90S! Glad to see that you rescued it from further demise.
CafeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #3
beemerphile
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,972
Welcome to the asylum and nice scoot. What's it doing on that Harley Davidson pan?
Old 02-04-2015, 07:08 PM   #4
mslim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerphile View Post
Welcome to the asylum and nice scoot. What's it doing on that Harley Davidson pan?
Thanks for the welcome. Oh that's the pan that used to sit under my Alfa Romeo
Old 02-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #5
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,359
Nice! You just need to hide the Dyna box; there's room behind the coils if you slide them forward a bit.

Those anodized San Jose rearsets are unobtanium. Hang on to tham.
bmwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:39 PM   #6
mslim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=bmwrench;26088840]Nice! You just need to hide the Dyna box; there's room behind the coils if you slide them forward a bit.
/QUOTE]

Agreed the Dyna box is unsightly. It was originally on the left rear frame downtube where it joins the subframe. I toyed with the idea of hiding it under the tank but I didn't know if the electronics needed to be in a cooler spot.

I'm not sure there's room with my coils as they are the Dyna coils on Dyna brackets.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:51 PM   #7
nobbylon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Gorgeous paintwork on that one, congratulations. It looks to have been nicely sorted with the triple clamp and brace at the front and the braced swing arm at the rear. Twin plugged as well, nice.
My Dyna box is zip tied under the main tube at the back end of the tank and completely hidden from view.
nobbylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #8
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,683
Good looking machine, very clean !

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:54 PM   #9
77Beamer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Bags

Are these style Krauser bags any good? I see mostly the other style on bikes. Guessing these are a "lower grade" than the others?
77Beamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #10
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 10,231
Very pretty.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:53 AM   #11
Beemeup
1978 R100/7

Oddometer: 526
Very nice indeed. The pegs are really kicked back, I'm not sure I like that for long.
Beemeup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
mslim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Beamer View Post
Are these style Krauser bags any good? I see mostly the other style on bikes. Guessing these are a "lower grade" than the others?
I am told they are the Krauser "Starlets". They are trimmer and look nicer on the bike but... they lack an extruded aluminum lip around the perimeter of the openings and sometimes require a little flex-aligning of the plastic lips to reclose. They won't hold a full face helmet either.

Although the Krauser/Hepco designs look sleek I question the wisdom of a side opening saddlebag/pannier anyway. The top openers like the "cigarette pack" bags on the old CHP Moto Guzzi's seem more useful. If you open the Krausers w/o removing the bag from the bike all its contents spill out onto the ground.

Slim
Old 02-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #13
mslim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemeup View Post
Very nice indeed. The pegs are really kicked back, I'm not sure I like that for long.
You know when I bought the bike I thought I'd change back to stock pegs and Ebay the rearsets but the more I rode the bike the more I appreciated the riding position.

It is nice to have your foot a good deal aft of the carbs and jugs. I'm 6' 185# 32" inseam and I'm pretty comfortable on the bike so far. Long days may tell a different story.

Slim
Old 02-07-2015, 02:24 AM   #14
JimGregory
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 846
That bike is so pretty it's nice just to gaze on it for a while.
I know what you are saying re: side opening bags. You learn to have one knee on the ready so the bag doesnt open too far. I also had the Guzzi bags you spoke of on my 74 LAPD and yes the big top openers are better for me as well. I have the Givi 21 litre top openers on my VFR. Too small though at 21 litres, but otherwize much like the Guzzi bags. Naturally waterproof as well.
My RS has the BMW bags and they really are quite nice. They are deep enough that the contents are not auto ejected on opening, but still the knee needs to keep the lid in check.
Is that a leslie under that FOH speaker? I havent seen one in so long I cant figure what it is.
Beautifull bike though. One of the prettiest bikes ever made and a great example as well.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:01 PM   #15
mslim OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGregory View Post

Is that a leslie under that FOH speaker? I havent seen one in so long I cant figure what it is.
Beautifull bike though. One of the prettiest bikes ever made and a great example as well.
Yes that's my gig Leslie 145. New tubes, caps, and resistors. Sharp eye my friend. I wondered if anyone would notice.

In the house I have a 1958 B3 w/ a 50C Leslie rewired to 147 standards if you follow such esoterica. The Leslies and B3 are a fitting complement to airhead ownership. They are all machines that requires occasional routine maintenance and will quite possibly outlive three or four of their owners.

Slim