Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2009, 11:21 AM   #766
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
damn Gage. You've been though alot lately and I really feel for ya now that you drained your gearbox and a freakin coat hanger fell out.

*snicker*

If you switch that key slot on the beancan, I'll be REALLY interested to see if it makes a change. I can't imagine why it would but hey... weirder things have happened.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #767
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
If you switch that key slot on the beancan, I'll be REALLY interested to see if it makes a change. I can't imagine why it would but hey... weirder things have happened.
It's gotta do something, the key is offset and that seems like it should matter doesn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:53 PM   #768
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
It's gotta do something, the key is offset and that seems like it should matter doesn't it?
I was thinking... (no comments needed) If the key is offset, then the slot must be offset to accommodate, right? If so, it only goes in 1 way anyway unless you flip the can upside down which just means for the same flywheel TDC, a different cylinder will be in compression stroke for firing. But they both get the same spark at the same time.

how bout another of these little guys
Old 06-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #769
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
I was thinking... (no comments needed) If the key is offset, then the slot must be offset to accommodate, right?

Well the key is offset, but I can't remember if the pin hole on the shaft is or not! If so, then it can only go together one way...

I can't find your excellent thread with the pictures of the part to see if there is a pin-hole off set or not... where the heck is that picture!!!!!!!

Quote:
Old 06-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #770
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,837
I know you are at your wits end with this but the position of the slot doesn't really matter. It may have at one time - or it could be a hold over from some other application that used the Bosch system

I have had my can apart 3 times and never paid the slightest attention to it. The sensor always ends up in approximately the same position because of where the pigtail comes out & you fine time by twisting the can (as you are well aware )

Also because you can stuff a second hall sensor onto the mounting plate 180 opposite for emergencies. Your timing light will tell you everything is OK

Popping is a fuel/air/fire issue.

Check your wires and coil & give'em a shot of silicone spray. Double check the plug boots

Check the o-rings on the air screws (one of mine got extruded) and make sure there is no exhaust leaks in front of the collector box (and cross over if you have one). Double check the diaphragms. Are the intake stubs seated into the cylinder
Old 06-27-2009, 01:44 PM   #771
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxermoose
because you can stuff a second hall sensor onto the mounting plate 180 opposite for emergencies. Your timing light will tell you everything is OK
Too true....

Quote:
Popping is a fuel/air/fire issue.
Agreed

Quote:
Check your wires and coil & give'em a shot of silicone spray. Double check the plug boots
You know, I have this vague memory of one plug wire at the coil look a bit funny when I put the tank back on...

Quote:
Check the o-rings on the air screws (one of mine got extruded) and make sure there is no exhaust leaks in front of the collector box (and cross over if you have one). Double check the diaphragms. Are the intake stubs seated into the cylinder
the carbs connections to the cylinder are good, and the diaphragms are good ( and new-ish).. just checked those.. will check the exhaust for leaks and the mixture o-rings as well....

Quote:
Old 06-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #772
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
About that key slot: haven't gone back into the thread to see what this is all about. But the key is offset in order to BE a key:

The play in the key allows for easier assembly (the pictures above show the two extreme positions) but also make sure that you only install it one way. So you couldn't install it 180deg offset.

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #773
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB
But the key is offset in order to BE a key:
. So you couldn't install it 180deg offset.
You sure Stephen?

It appears like someone could pull the pin, rotate the key 180 degrees and re-insert the pin as it seems to go through the middle of the key block and the shaft, not true?

Quote:
Old 06-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #774
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,046
Ah, I see what you mean ... knowing BMW I am sure it doesn't work, there must another "safety" feature. Who did the bean can refurb thread, wasn't that you, Gage?

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #775
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Quote:
You sure Stephen?

It appears like someone could pull the pin, rotate the key 180 degrees and re-insert the pin as it seems to go through the middle of the key block and the shaft, not true?
I'd call it a coupling more then a key - the float takes out any misalignment in the system so there are no extraordinary measures required for alignment. The dowel hole does go thru the piece and the shaft center so are non-directional a 180 swap works - the dogs are simply to drive the can internals.

Man it would be so simple to fit a turbine governing system to this puppy and have flawless acceleration - just got to figure out the 220v power supply, and the room for the probes and key phasor ....and of course the $500k it costs
Old 06-27-2009, 05:32 PM   #776
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Quote:
I'd call it a coupling more then a key - the float takes out any misalignment in the system so there are no extraordinary measures required for alignment. The dowel hole does go thru the piece and the shaft center so are non-directional a 180 swap works - the dogs are simply to drive the can internals.

Man it would be so simple to fit a turbine governing system to this puppy and have flawless acceleration - just got to figure out the 220v power supply, and the room for the probes and key phasor ....and of course the $500k it costs
HA! we call it combustion dynamics and with airheads we call it "needs carb adjustment."

Gage. 4 bolts (5 if you count the gearbox ground) and you'll have your answer. Get your camera and let's kill this issue once and for all!
Old 06-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #777
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Gage. 4 bolts (5 if you count the gearbox ground) and you'll have your answer. Get your camera and let's kill this issue once and for all!
The carb synch did the trick! all is well now and the popping is gone...

While I was in there I checked my back-up Harley coil for fit (and verified that my stock coil is indeed the BAD one prone to failure)... good thing I checked! The left side plug wire was about 3 inches too short to work with the Harley coil... so I made a new one!

No flipping of the key for now at least...

Quote:
Old 06-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #778
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce
Can you spot the nipple in this picture?
No Lornce I can't. (see post #32).. why don't you or Datchew enlighten us? I've been trying to spot the nipple for over a year now and admit I've failed.

Quote:
Old 06-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #779
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Quote:
The carb synch did the trick! all is well now and the popping is gone...

While I was in there I checked my back-up Harley coil for fit (and verified that my stock coil is indeed the BAD one prone to failure)... good thing I checked! The left side plug wire was about 3 inches too short to work with the Harley coil... so I made a new one!

No flipping of the key for now at least...
Old 06-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #780
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:

even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while

Quote: