Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #841
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenB
Easy, it hasn't got the cutouts for the SLS plumming. I got one too!

Unless otherwise posted, Canadians are excluded from any reindeer games !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:13 AM   #842
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO
Here's a shot of what comes in the 320mm rotor kit, to replace the stock 260mm rotor on G/S's...

Here's the size difference, the stock disc is on top of the new 320mm one

Before...

After... I did have to use two of the washers that came with the bolts used to hold to caliper to the caliper adapter to space them apart from each other (don't know if this was the intended use) because the corner of the caliper was slightly (very) dragging on the rotor.

Sadly the new galfer green's I scored off of ebay are the wrong frickin' size so no test ride today... I vagely remember something about sending back a big stack of these same Galfer's when I worked at a BMW dealer because there were made incorrectly...well that and the guys in the shop using the bench grinder to re-size these to work

So how does it stop ?? In comparison to your Nissan kitted R100gs ??
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 07:15 AM   #843
StephenB
G(/)S ... what else!

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Unless otherwise posted, Canadians are excluded from any reindeer games !
I don't think that's fair! is there an Appeal panel?

Some of the above is fact, some is fiction, some is my personal imagination and some is just simple truth. [me]

... i'm not touring around the world, but neither are most of the guys i see running overloaded spam cans ... [bmwblake]

Stephen Bottcher
Ontario, Canada

'72 R75/5 The Blues

www.stephenbottcher.net
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:06 PM   #844
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil
So how does it stop ?? In comparison to your Nissan kitted R100gs ??
Phil,

Sadly the answer is that the 320mm rotor with the two piston caliper does not compare with the Nissin 4-piston/stock rotor that I had on my old R100GS... The Nissin had much better feel, bite and modulation (IMHO).

I had read a bunch of reports of folks who raved about adding this 320mm rotor onto their R80G/S or ST, and so far I am not that impressed. I do admit that I am running organic pads (had syntered pads on the R100GS), and they haven't had enought time to bed in fully yet.

Overall, the 320mm rotor conversion is good, not great, not eye popping WOW, just good.

If I don't see some real improvements in the 500-1,000 miles I will toss a 4-piston caliper on there and see what that gives me.

Quote:
Old 09-19-2009, 01:58 PM   #845
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,733
Quote:
Phil,

Sadly the answer is that the 320mm rotor with the two piston caliper does not compare with the Nissin 4-piston/stock rotor that I had on my old R100GS... The Nissin had much better feel, bite and modulation (IMHO).

I had read a bunch of reports of folks who raved about adding this 320mm rotor onto their R80G/S or ST, and so far I am not that impressed. I do admit that I am running organic pads (had syntered pads on the R100GS), and they haven't had enought time to bed in fully yet.

Overall, the 320mm rotor conversion is good, not great, not eye popping WOW, just good.

If I don't see some real improvements in the 500-1,000 miles I will toss a 4-piston caliper on there and see what that gives me.
Thanks Solo. I had wondered how good the stock caliper would be with a 320mm disc. After the success of my rear brake mod, my front feels even weaker. I've been tossing up between the ideas of fixing up the stock forks and adding a bigger brake, or doing another front end conversion (A couple of years ago I was going to sell my Airhead, so I took my USD front end off and sold it). I picked up a set of YZF250 forks last weekend at a bargain price so unless I fit those to my DR350 it looks like i"ll do another front end. My last one had a 320mm disc and a "Braking" supermoto caliper. It was really good, powerfull and with good feel. I rode a KTM 640 supermoto yesterday and that confirms my thoughts. 320mm and 4 pistons are the go !!
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:31 PM   #846
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quick update.. went to ride the bike to work yesterday and found the rear tire flat... and the TCK was ground down past the wear bars in spots

so off it went back on (as I tend to be a cheap you-know-what) is the half worn Avon Distanzia that came on the bike... Looks tiny doesn't it?

OK, "back on" is a bit of an overstatement because I may have pinched the new (back-up) tube a teeny-tiny bit when I changed the tire.. so I inflated it to 35 psi and so it will sit in the corner until tomorrow... hopefully it'l hold... I seem to have the worst luck with changing tires (operator error I am sure).

This was the easiest and fastest change yet!

Quote:

SOLO LOBO screwed with this post 09-27-2009 at 10:11 AM
Old 09-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #847
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Here's the latest news.... drips from the final drive... Sound familiar?

Here's today:

The final drive main seal was leaking in March of '08, and one of the PO's feeling for torque amount was clearly out of spec as the shaft drain and battery negative bolt threads had been stripped and required helicoils... This time it is the level plug threads that need attention (they have been stripped, but not leaking since I got the bikr)

This time I decided to spring the extra few bucks for the time-serts..

Quote:
Old 09-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #848
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,787
No, sir, you are not the only one who has tire issues.

in other news, I discovered that one finger braking is indeed possible on a stock R100 setup, if you REALLY WANT it to
Old 09-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #849
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
No, sir, you are not the only one who has tire issues.

in other news, I discovered that one finger braking is indeed possible on a stock R100 setup, if you REALLY WANT it to
I do fully admit that I was re-living my BMX days and locking up the rear to fishtail as far as I could... to my credit is was from about 25 mph and while fully loaded for camping

Quote:

SOLO LOBO screwed with this post 09-27-2009 at 10:51 AM
Old 09-28-2009, 10:08 AM   #850
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Solo. Isn't this the same final drive you had rebuilt? Or did you just have the big round seal inside replaced? I don't remember.

Also, what size bolt do those inserts accommodate? Would chance favor M16x1.5?
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:51 AM   #851
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew
Solo. Isn't this the same final drive you had rebuilt? Or did you just have the big round seal inside replaced? I don't remember.

Also, what size bolt do those inserts accommodate? Would chance favor M16x1.5?
The level plug that is leaking is a M8 X 1.0... and the big round seal is still holding (thankfully)

Quote:
Old 10-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #852
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

Quote:
OK, "back on" is a bit of an overstatement because I may have pinched the new (back-up) tube a teeny-tiny bit when I changed the tire..
Back from europe... tire's totally flat

Quote:
Old 10-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #853
SOLO LOBO OP
airhead or nothing

And yet another bad day in the garage... camera's dead but did get photos to post later...

That frickin' distanzia is a serious PITA to get on and off... when I first got my bike the rear tube was pin holed and I pinched the replacement tube and had to buy a second... Managed to not only repeat that feat, but pinched THE SECOND FRINKIN' replacement tube... needless to say I am an idiot and require some serious tire mounting intervention... (gotta to read neduro's thread again)...

And, the distanzia was a serious PITA again! Decided I need to just buy a nice, new, supple TKC and screw that distanzia ....

and then, one of the screws holding the headlight front half decided to loose all it's teeth, causing a serious headlight shell strip to get it out ... all in the name of painting that ugly read slipstream deflector....

Pix added when the camera is charged again... off to find a beer and sulk...

The had lesson is that try as we might, we all can't be Tom I guess...

Quote:

SOLO LOBO screwed with this post 10-11-2009 at 09:39 AM
Old 10-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #854
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Man, it's a rough week. Kev gets his bike backed into in the UK, you have tire frustrations, Just Jeff is about to put bullet holes through his magnificent /5, and well... I'm gonna go have a beer. This is depressing.

If it makes you feel any better, I pinched and ruined the 2nd wheel on my /2 wheels.
Can't you just patch kit the inner tube and re-use it? (this is my first experience with tubes, so go easy if that's a n0oB question)
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:39 PM   #855
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,422
the distanzias I put on were a hassle too. I didn't have trouble mounting them but getting the bead to seat took 100 psi, gobs of soap and a few hours lying in the sun. the good side? You'll put on 3 sets of TKCs for every 1 set of distanzias

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote