User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2015, 03:55 AM   #1
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,348
4 weeks in South Africa's Eastern Cape on a BMW F800 Adventure

Its been to long since I visited South Africa: 2008. I was doing a report for a Dutch motorcycle magazine (as photographer) on the Limpopo Province, Mpumalanga, Mozambique, Drakensbergen (‘ Dragonmountains’) and Swaziland following the path of the historic anglo-farmers war in the 19th century, riding a Buell Ullyses which was kindly provided by Harley Davidson Pretoria.

Finally, finally I’m back in to the South African summer, fled from the winter which covers the northern Hemisphere! Again as photographer, this time for the Dutch motorcycle magazine ‘Promotor’. I thought the report would be interesting to you guys 'n girls here on ADV, but please forgive me for any mistakes in my English... I had to translate it from my Dutch blog at www.grotetrek.blogspot.com (Dutchies and Afrikaners: have a look there)

I'll will be riding here for the next month or so, and try to update the ride at ADV riders as good as it gets.

@ GB: thnx for the help getting the pictures sorted out!

Provided with a nice BMW F800 Adventure which will be the perfect match for the grounds I will cover the next 4 weeks. After a warm and friendly welcome by my good friend and Truimph owner Johan Kriek and Helen (www.toerboer.co.za) we picked up at the BMW at Motorrad Rentals in Centurion, former known as Verwoerdburg. As we drive towards Centurion ride I realize it: Moerse! (Afrikaans for ‘ feeling good’) What is this South Africa still a beautiful country. And especially because it feels like I've never been away. Albert Franck from Motorrad Rentals turns out to be a nice guy, providing us with a delicious espresso and explaining all about the BMW and accessories provided by motor Radical (www.motorradical.co.za)

In the afternoon I visit the local mall to buy a SIM card for my smartphone and at the local Pick 'n Pay supermarket, I get a few bottles Mrs. Balls Chutney and Braai Salt to take home when I return back to the Netherlands.

In the afternoon the grill is turned on for an South African Braai (BBQ). We are invited by Johann (double NN indeed) Potgieter and his wife Loraine. Again a most charming guy. Apparently I leave, as foreign guest, a good impression, because the next day, very early, the phone rings: Johann calls to invite me to join him for a bikers breakfast run on Sunday morning.

Half an hour later, the BMW pleasantly simmers behind Johann’ s Harley Fatboy Pretoria towards the Kitty Hawk Aerodrome, just a few miles outside of Pretoria. On Sunday, countless motorcyclists gather here for breakfast. As an airplane enthusiast, I enjoy antique propeller aircraft and high-tech Gyrocopters (Auto Gyros) entering almost to the terrace. After breakfast, we continue towards Cullinan, known not only for the fact that the largest diamond ever found here (it has been chopped and been used in the British Crown Jewels), but also as gathering point for touring in the neighboring hills.

The place to be is "Harrie's Pancakes” at Oak Lane 112. And finally, finally I get my melktert, a typical South African pastrie: in the shape of a pancake with melktert stuffing! Johann’s Harey appears quite thirsty, so after a delicious cappuccino with pancake we pay a visit to the local gas station and return to Pretoria. What a nice start for this new South African motorcycle trip! Today it was truly, "Moerse!". The South African word which actually covers the whole day.

Two Plugs screwed with this post 01-08-2015 at 05:36 AM Reason: Rescaling pics
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:23 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 56,580
We could use a sunny report in the middle of this cold day! Thanks for taking us along
Old 01-08-2015, 04:35 AM   #3
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 2

The trip from Pretoria to Parys (on the Vaal, not the Seine) is progressing well. Because there are also some BMWs with chain instead of a shafty I stop in Silverton at Twisted Throttle, a local motorcycle clothing- and motorcycle accessories store to get a spraycan chain lube.
It is at 10 o'clock in the morning when I turn on N1 highway towards Cape Town. It is already quite hot but the trip from Pretoria to Johannesburg is progressing well. A beautiful four-lane motorway gives broad view of the economic capital of South Africa. Johannesburg clearly shows that South Africa is making progress on developments. High skyscrapers dominate the skyline of the 'city'.

I follow the N1 / M1 'South' direction Soweto. Soweto is perhaps the most famous district of Johannesburg for the role it played during the apartheid regime. Anno 2014 Soweto has turned in to a trendy suburb! Unfortunately, the beak of the BMW this time aimed at Parys. Traffic signs with should direct me towards Soweto however stay away ... and suddenly, Im following a rural four-lane highway, the R82 towards Vereeniging. Funny how quickly and almost imperceptibly, you ll get out of a metropolis and a busy motorway into the green province of Gauteng. The quality of the asphalt, despite a single pothole, is good.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 01-08-2015, 04:36 AM   #4
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pics...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!

Two Plugs screwed with this post 01-08-2015 at 05:28 AM
Old 01-08-2015, 04:40 AM   #5
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

At a gas station I decide to take a short brake, to buy a bottle of water and some food and to consult the map. My intuition proves correct: Although I am no longer on the N1 tolroad, but on the right path towards Parys. No wrong choice ... The R82 winds through forests, hills and grassland towards Vereeniging.

The city of Vereeniging is bustling. The BMWs dash shows that it is now 33 degrees Celsius, and in combination with the many traffic lights and busy traffic in Vereeniging Im getting warm. Due to the heat, I abandon the idea of stopping at a caf for a cappuccino and melktertpie and continue riding. Parys is ahead. In the distance, the mountains surrounding Parys already appear at the horizon.

Not "just" mountains, but the outer edge of one of the potentially most unknown jewels of South Africa: The Vredefort Dome, World's oldest and largest impact crater of a meteorite on land. Listed as UNESCO World Heritage! Its around noon when I arrive at my good friend Jopie. The BMW disappears in the garage, and the wonderful Castle Lager beer is chilled in the fridge. We reminisce in the shadow of Jopie's date palmtree and turnes midnight quickly. Tomorrow I'm going to take the BMW Adventure exploring the extensive network of gravel roads in the Vredefort Dome.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:41 AM   #6
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Two Plugs screwed with this post 01-08-2015 at 05:11 AM
Old 01-08-2015, 05:09 AM   #7
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Day 3... in to the Dome

Imagine ... a piece of rock, with a diameter of 7 miles, coming in at 22.500 miles per hour (try that on your Hayabusa!) crashing into the Earth's surface. This is exactly what 2,000 million (!) Years ago happened in contemporary South Africa. The result: 'Deep Impact', a crater with a diameter of more than 200 miles, stretching from Johannesburg in Gauteng province to Welkom (what's in a name) in the province of Free State into the North West Province. Ill leave the National Geographic details in this report for what it is, but the Vredefort Dome - the largest and oldest meteor impact crater on Earth and UNESCO world heritage - has one of the most beautiful and least known areas in South Africa to do adventure riding by bike. The rustic village of Parys, providing numerous accommodations and great restaurants, is excellent as central point for exploring the Dome.

From Parys I drive through the R53 on the Vaal River Road to turn left immediately after the bridge, on the KoppiesKraal Road. From now, the only thing you need to do is just to keep continuous left. The dirt roads are fantastic; the BMW feels like a fish in the water and I thoroughly enjoy - but only after I've turned off the ABS and traction control and put the ESA setting to 'Sport'. Now we really are on the loose!

In the small village Venterskroon I stop at the visitor center for some information. A few hundred meters further I discover the 'fossil remains' of an old Zndapp motorcycle on a wall at a caf. Thirsty from the dust and with dangerously low caffeine levels, I stop for a cup of coffee. The Old Imperial Inn recently opened and owner Leon is a very good guy who knows how to attract thirsty bikers. And as so often: the parked BMW proves attractive to fellow bikers. As I enjoy my coffee, two big R1200GS Adventures pull up alongside the F800.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:24 AM   #8
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pics...

Old 01-08-2015, 05:25 AM   #9
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

George Crocker and Leon Nel live in Johannesburg (an hour away) and their Dome is for them a large nearby playground. We chat about motorcycling, Promoter Magazine, the BMWs and the Dome. Nice blokes, George and Leon. Shortly before we continue driving, a 4x4 pickup truck pulls over.
The driver appears to be the project manager who is responsible for the management on the World Heritage Site on behalf of the North West Province, Mr. Mohau Maputle. Mohau turns out to be a huge BMW fan, but also talks enthusiastically about his work for UNESCO and the Dome. It are these unexpected encounters, which color the day.

I follow the fantastic gravel slopes through the Dome towards Schoemansdrift, enjoy the drifting BMW, friendly people and the green landscape. Every passer - black or white is greeting me enthusiastically and scarce oncoming 4x4s throttle back to avoid that I have to bite in the dust. At the Schoenmanshoekdrift I take a break and drink a bottle of water on the banks of the Vaal River. In the late afternoon, when I return at my friends place in Parys, I covered 75 miles but it could have been 200.

I end another wonderful day in stunning South Africa with my good friend Jopie at O's restaurant on the Vaal River. The next 3 days there will be no motorcycling or blog, but time to visit friends, to clean the Beemer and await the arrival of my colleague Michiel van Dam and guide Johan Kriek. Next Sunday our 'Great Trek' really starts of with our ride in to the Great Karoo dessert!

Old 01-08-2015, 05:26 AM   #10
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Pics...

Old 01-08-2015, 10:52 AM   #11
OomD
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Well let me be the first South African here to say, "Welcome to sunny South Africa!" I hope you have a great time here (sounds like you're already having a 'moerse' time) and a safe journey.
OomD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #12
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OomD View Post
Well let me be the first South African here to say, "Welcome to sunny South Africa!" I hope you have a great time here (sounds like you're already having a 'moerse' time) and a safe journey.
Well, baie dankie vir jou woorde! I noticed you are in Pretoria? Will be back there in about 3 weeks from now. Its actualy my 6nd time in your country and I keep coming back ;) Its to my modest opinion, one of the most under estamated country WW for proper adventure biking! ;)

Old 01-08-2015, 08:32 PM   #13
OomD
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
Well, baie dankie vir jou woorde! I noticed you are in Pretoria? Will be back there in about 3 weeks from now. Its actualy my 6nd time in your country and I keep coming back ;) Its to my modest opinion, one of the most under estamated country WW for proper adventure biking! ;)
Yup, in Pretoria. I'll keep an eye on your thread and PM you when you get here. Maybe we could go for a drink/bfast ride or such

And yes, I agree it's one of the best places to ADV ride, especially with our stable and goldilocks weather.

Enjoy your journey! If you get stuck or need help, shout!
OomD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #14
Gobby
Trust Me!

Oddometer: 440
Home Sick

Excellent RR Two Plugs - takes me back

Keep safe

Lets Ride
Gobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #15
kalahari-k
Kalahari-K

Oddometer: 187
Thanks for this report. South Africa is so full of interest and beauty. I'm glad it's starting well and hope the good times keep rolling on. Keep those photos coming!
kalahari-k is offline   Reply With Quote