ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2008, 08:06 AM   #31
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
This shite's getting pretty rich!!

Born Yooper...now live in the Fox Valley...This is about as Hick as I can stand..visiting and riding up north is fantastic...live there....NEVER!
Maybe raised the IQ in both places when you moved?

The Fox Valley's a nice place, but better than the UP? Not in my book, and I've lived in both. To each his own, and if you don't want to be in da UP, stay out of this thread, why don't you?

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:10 AM   #32
gixracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
kind of a yooper i live in detroit but the parents are in marquette/harvey
Old 02-28-2008, 09:12 AM   #33
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Only threads about the UP bring out a zillion people who don't even live there claiming some affiliation with it.

Having lived here for about 13 years straight now, I have to concur- the title of Yooper should only be given to those who stick it out for life- cradle to grave.

Sure, the UP is a fun place to visit. Heck, maybe even spend 5-10 years if you find a nice job there. Maybe even retire up there. But you're still just cherry picking most of the good times. There's a lot about the UP that can downright suck sometimes. Only a true yooper is tough and resourceful enough to make it through. The rest of us pussies head for the suburbs of the nearest metropolitan area for cover when times get tough.

If it was all sunshine and rainbows, this place would be packed.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:22 AM   #34
skeeter
Captain Safety

Oddometer: 1,872
I'll be there tomorrow. Is there any place near Munising to get a GOOD pasty? I've tried them from 2 different places so far and all I can say is they tasted like ass.

What is the trick to choking a pasty down? Liquor?
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:51 AM   #35
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel
Only threads about the UP bring out a zillion people who don't even live there claiming some affiliation with it.

Having lived here for about 13 years straight now, I have to concur- the title of Yooper should only be given to those who stick it out for life- cradle to grave.

Sure, the UP is a fun place to visit. Heck, maybe even spend 5-10 years if you find a nice job there. Maybe even retire up there. But you're still just cherry picking most of the good times. There's a lot about the UP that can downright suck sometimes. Only a true yooper is tough and resourceful enough to make it through. The rest of us pussies head for the suburbs of the nearest metropolitan area for cover when times get tough.

stick it out even if you must die alone?

job prospects are better than dating prospects?
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #36
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREEFLOW
stick it out even if you must die alone?

job prospects are better than dating prospects?

Like I said. Kinda sucks sometimes.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #37
Yooper_Bob OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel

Well said.....some day we may even bestow the title of "Honorary Yooper" on ya'!
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #38
Yooper_Bob OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter
I'll be there tomorrow. Is there any place near Munising to get a GOOD pasty? I've tried them from 2 different places so far and all I can say is they tasted like ass.

What is the trick to choking a pasty down? Liquor?
See...that's another Yooper secret...we don't eat those crappy pasties they sell to 'da trolls in 'da resturants...our wives make good ones for us at home!

...and a real Yooper smothers their pasty with ketchup!
Yooper_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:27 AM   #39
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatBob
Maybe raised the IQ in both places when you moved?

The Fox Valley's a nice place, but better than the UP? Not in my book, and I've lived in both. To each his own, and if you don't want to be in da UP, stay out of this thread, why don't you?
Holy shit? I hope I didn't imply the UP was shitty...I'm just a fan of social culture..good food and entertainment. These things..(ok..the pasties are wonderful and I always bring many home with me) are not available in most of the UP...save for a few cities..mainly those with Universities (Marquette..I'd live in Marquette..so I'll eat the "Never") The Wilderness aspect is amazing and I do miss being able to go and have a swim after work in the summer. I think the nearest swimmable lake from Appleton is almost 30 miles and that is a bloody shame. But man...I've never been in a bar fight in the valley and I've lived here for 14 years...I'm not afraid of being in a bar fight..it just shows the mentality of A LOT of folks who grow up and remain in those parts...My whole family lives there...and some of the most wonderful people I've ever known still live there...I guess I just don't ever want to live where the world is still flat..
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #40
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 15,064
I vow to spend more time in the UP this summer . (a buddy is getting his acreage dialed up near craig lake state park )..and my stable of XRs is ready

one of these years I will sail my boat to marquette or munising and leave it there for a few summers

fly back n forth when office duties call

it is all making sense yet?

hearty people

freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #41
YZman
Bouncing off Trees

Oddometer: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper_drz
See...that's another Yooper secret...we don't eat those crappy pasties they sell to 'da trolls in 'da resturants...our wives make good ones for us at home!

Remnar Soady: Let's have a pasty, eh?
Jimmer Negamanee: Shashties!
Remnar Soady: Remember how Mom used to make 'em?
Jimmer Negamanee: They were so good I could almost eat shix of 'em!

Fellow fudge suckin bridge troll checkin in.

I love it in da UP but dont get up there nearly enough. I try for at least 2 trips up there every year though. Lattely gas prices have been keeping me closer to home though. I live down state on the west side near Grand Rapids.

Lattely most of my trips to the UP involve me and Drummond island for some pain and suffering....errrrr...make that some awsome trail riding

I picked up a Vstrom 1000 last spring so I am hoping to make a trip or two thru the UP this year on my way to other places.

Ive often said that if I could figure out a way to eak out a living up there Id move in a heartbeat. But I fear that the winters would drive me insane. Im having a hard enough time dealing with it downstate. I dont know how you true youpers handle it.

Albert Soady: and if your looking for heaven, its north of the bridge.
YZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:28 PM   #42
ktrjc
Displaced Yooper

Oddometer: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper_drz

ktrjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 12:47 PM   #43
Northwoods Yeti
Almost house broken

Oddometer: 2,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonebag
Holy shit? I hope I didn't imply the UP was shitty...I'm just a fan of social culture..good food and entertainment. These things..(ok..the pasties are wonderful and I always bring many home with me) are not available in most of the UP...save for a few cities..mainly those with Universities (Marquette..I'd live in Marquette..so I'll eat the "Never") The Wilderness aspect is amazing and I do miss being able to go and have a swim after work in the summer. I think the nearest swimmable lake from Appleton is almost 30 miles and that is a bloody shame. But man...I've never been in a bar fight in the valley and I've lived here for 14 years...I'm not afraid of being in a bar fight..it just shows the mentality of A LOT of folks who grow up and remain in those parts...My whole family lives there...and some of the most wonderful people I've ever known still live there...I guess I just don't ever want to live where the world is still flat..

Did you forget about getting your ass kicked outside the Paradise Club a few years ago. Or doesn't it count as a "BAR" if they have large brass poles inside.

Don't reject your yoopinese heritage, embrace it! Viva la Ya der hey!!!
Northwoods Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 06:50 PM   #44
trailuser
take the backroads

Oddometer: 1,382
I'll be headin up that way next weekend; Looking to consider more permanent future ties

I guess for now I only qualify as a wannbe
trailuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:43 AM   #45
Bonebag
ADDvrider

Oddometer: 5,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortwoods Tiger

Did you forget about getting your ass kicked outside the Paradise Club a few years ago. Or doesn't it count as a "BAR" if they have large brass poles inside.
Ooh Yeah..I forgot about that one...that doesn't count..he was an ex-navy seal
Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote