Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
drivenbydiscovery OP
`...><((((>`..

Oddometer: 346
New Hope, PA (USA) -> Panama 2008 ; "La Ruta Playa - a moto adventure movie"

Hey guys!

So, my solo motorcycle adventure has (finally) begun! Like many of you, I found myself watching "Long Way Round" over and over again, thinking it would be absolutely awesome to do such an adventure and, while I'm at it, film it at a professional level too. Of course, unless you're Ewan and Charlie, or have the resources to finance support crews, cameras, plans, actors, etc..., the dream is just that, a dream. Well, maybe not ....

For those of you who don't like to read much, here's the idea in a nutshell - ride from New Hope, PA (USA) to Panama, alone, and film the entire adventure for a travel documentary, hopefully proving that yes, you can ride it alone, and you can film it alone. You don't necessarily NEED a support crew. I have yet to prove any of this correct, as I'm only in Guatemala, but so far, so good.

Is it difficult? Yes. Especially the filming. Many times I wish I had someone to help with the cameras. But it can definitely be done. I won't be putting up video of the trip just yet (difficult to throw in editing with all that I have going on already, but maybe I can host a few clips on my website) but I will update with pictures and stories along the way, and in a few months I hope to have the film together, if for nothing else, so show you all the roads, the experiences, the complications ..... the adventure along the way. If I can do it, alone, then so can you!

I also am hoping that my family here on adventurerider can act as my support crew, if need be. I've already encountered problems, but they tend to work themselves out (one way or another). However, if I encounter something I can't get myself out of, I hope that I can count on you!!!! (of course, you will make it into the film if this should happen!) =)

OK, for those of you still interested, here's a bit more detail:

I started back on December 18, 2007, and spent Christmas and New Years in Mexico city with family. And then, somehow, I spent the rest of January there too!!! But that's the idea, a plan of no plan. I've got time. And that's the idea of adventure!

Like I said, no plan, but the idea is to go from New Hope, PA to Panama following the coast as much as possible. It's my ride to the beach, literally, as I plan on stopping at as many Mexico & Central America beaches as I can. As I originally typed this, I was sitting 1 block from the beach at a friends house in Chicxulub, Mexico (just north of Merida, on the Yucatan peninsula near Cancun). So this isn't actually the beginning of my trip .... Mexico is almost done!! Then, onto Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, and Panama. Did I forget any countries??? Well no worries, I won't miss them.

I am riding a BMW F650GS Dakar (in disguise) that was modified slightly for this trip - it has a new suspension (Wilburs), new wheel (Excel), panniers (Touratech), and some other bits to make it more durable for the roads of CA. I wish I could have upgraded a few more things, but I didn't exactly have the budget for more, so that'll have to do (so far it ALMOST has). I have on my bike 2 video cameras (1 helmet camera, 1 professional TV quality camera), 1 digital camera (for photo updates), my laptop, of course some clothes, tent & sleeping bag, lots of medical supplies (I'm a doctor, more about this later), some other random stuff, medjetassist for emergency evacuation for me and my bike, and a satellite tracking system provided by findmespot. This last part is pretty cool; you can go online anytime and track me in real time. Here's how:

go to http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...ucv8SSo1N4G3DG

You can check my last position, last 7 days, last 30 days, etc. And it will automatically plot my position on googlemaps. Pretty cool!

Well, I think you've all got a pretty good idea of what I'm trying to accomplish, so for now I'll end here. I've already got a few diary entries typed up (but mostly doing video diaries, so what I type is the extremely abbreviated version) so I'll throw them on here for you.

Oh yes, and if anyone is thinking about doing this ride, go for it! It's safe. I've ridden about 8,000 miles and have not had a single encounter to make me rethink my safety. People in Mexico, Belize and Guatemala are friendly and helpful. I'm being cautious to not trust everyone right away, but I'm expecting more of the same friendliness the rest of the way. All that I can advise you is to learn some spanish before you go (or pick it up quickly along the way, as I have done). You will be asked how much your bike costs about 20 times per day; how fast it goes, how many miles you've ridden, where you're going. And they don't speak ANY English. But, no es tan grave! hehehe. =)

Catch you all later! - Dom

Australia in a Land Rover / Central America on a Moto

..`...><((((>`..

drivenbydiscovery screwed with this post 03-02-2009 at 08:30 PM
drivenbydiscovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,360
Awesome adventure!! Thanks for posting
Old 02-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
Looking forward to seeing more of your adventure!
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
xdbx
Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer: 2,493
more please!
xdbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 04:56 AM   #5
KneeDrachen
MORE COWBELL!!!

Oddometer: 1,088
This is going to be good
KneeDrachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:37 AM   #6
TomN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Cool!
Old 02-26-2008, 09:51 AM   #7
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,460

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
Cloud9
I was HERE?

Oddometer: 1,877
Good stuff and have a great ride.
Cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
thetoecutter
Cutter of Toes

Oddometer: 1,814
Cheer to a local guy!

thetoecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
ride-n-the world
out of place adv rider

Oddometer: 621

In for the ride!!!! Best of luck, we'll be following along . I can tell already tell this is going to be great.

Ride safe,
Shawn
ride-n-the world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:03 AM   #11
GS Weaver
idiot

Oddometer: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoecutter
Cheer to a local guy!
+1!

Good Luck!
1984 XR250, 1981 & 1986 XR80, 1997 and 2003 XR650L, 1992 DR350, 1995 DR350S 1975 CB125S, 1997 & 2003 CBR1100, 2006 R1150GS, 1989 XR600, 1993 RT100, 1984 VT700, CT90, 2006 Zuma 50cc, Currently: 2012 Versys
GS Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
Archangel
GS Heaven

Oddometer: 140
Keep'er going.. ...and safe travels!!
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:54 PM   #13
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,821
Can't wait to check out some video from a local rider.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:32 AM   #14
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,411

Ah hell, close enough to call local. Looking forward to it.

Ride on, brother.
Bald Eagle Bastard
The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #15
Truckman
The almighty Beavis

Oddometer: 147
Ride on dood!!!!! Nice to see a local guy on a killer ADV ride!!!! have fun and be safe! I'm sure you have enjoyed all of our local dirt roads if you are doing this adventure.