ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2008, 08:33 AM   #1
SWriverstone OP
Woodpecker

Oddometer: 281
Michaux State Forest in PA: Dirtbikes allowed? Or not?

Hey---can someone give me the straight scoop on Michaux State Forest ATV trails in PA. Do they allow motorcycles? Or not? I've seen conflicting information on this.

Are there certain trails where motorcycles are allowed...and trails where they aren't?

Thanks,
Scott
SWriverstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
NJDRT-RDR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Right on the ATV trail map for Michaux, is states "3 or 4 wheel atv's only"
Motorcycles and trailbikes are not permitted.

For legal motorcylce trail check out allegehny forest. they have legal trail to ride.

The michigan Trail Safari
http://home.comcast.net/~drt-rdr/trailsafari.txt
NJDRT-RDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
SWriverstone OP
Woodpecker

Yeah, I saw that on the map too...but I swear I've ridden my street bike along Rt.233 on days when I thought a DS event was NOT going on...and I saw guys coming out of the woods on dirtbikes...but maybe they were just pirates? LOL

Scott
Old 09-01-2008, 09:16 AM   #4
KnightofNi
teh 1337 5uxx0r

Oddometer: 602
according to the signs i saw along the roads there, bikes are allowed to go dam near everywhere. there are however atv only trails, the atvs are not allowed to go anywhere but those trails.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
SWriverstone OP
Woodpecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofNi
according to the signs i saw along the roads there, bikes are allowed to go dam near everywhere. there are however atv only trails, the atvs are not allowed to go anywhere but those trails.
See what I mean? This is why I'm trying to get the "straight scoop" from someone who knows. (Nothing against your post KnightofNi.)

Scott
Old 09-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
KnightofNi
teh 1337 5uxx0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWriverstone
See what I mean? This is why I'm trying to get the "straight scoop" from someone who knows. (Nothing against your post KnightofNi.)

Scott
maybe i misunderstood your original post then.
i though you were trying to find out if bikes were legal there. i wish i had taken a pic, but there are signs on all of the dirt roads stating that to operate on that road the vehicle must be fully titled, inspected, and insured for road use. so you can ride a dual sport on the dirt rds, but not a full on dirtbike.

the atv trails were closed to anything that isn't an atv.

why not call up the park and ask them.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #7
SWriverstone OP
Woodpecker

Yes, KnightofNi...I *am* trying to find out whether motorcycles of any kind are legal there (and I appreciate your input!).

The trail map online says "motorcycles and dirtbikes are not allowed." So that suggests no 2-wheeled, powered machines of any kind, period.

But then it's entirely possible they simply forgot to add "non-street-legal" to "not allowed," which is why I ask.

I will give 'em a call...I just don't think anyone would answer today (being a holiday)...but I'll try!

Scott
Old 09-01-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
viverrid
not dead yet

Oddometer: 30,482
Quote:
The trail map online says "motorcycles and dirtbikes are not allowed." So that suggests no 2-wheeled, powered machines of any kind, period.
Looks pretty clear to me, on the TRAILS, no 2-wheeled powered vehicles of any kind.

On the ROADS, what would be any different than other ROADS, why couldn't you ride a 'street' registered m/c there. But since they don't (usually!) street tag ATVs in that state, then n ATV could NOT ride on the roads.

Roads for bikes and trails for ATVs. Too bad "they" don't let "us" use the trails, but it sez they don't. But hey, I don't "know", so go ahead, ignore. BTW it being Labor Day when parks are very busy, I'd think that if you had a phone number for the park itself (rather than an administrative HQ in the capital) that they would be MORE not less likely to be there on a holiday weekend.
Advanced pancreatic cancer found 04/2010. Have outlived +/- 97% of patients with this diagnosis, but 08/2013 cancer now in liver, vascular system and lungs with 20+ lung tumors. Sick/weak sometimes, not riding much. No more treatments & now under Hospice care.
viverrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #9
Slim Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
I ride the dirt roads in Michaux at least once a week and can assure you that any ungated dirt road is fine for a street legal dual sports but the atv trails are definitely off limits. Some firends are i were recently reminded of this when we were pulled over by a DCNR officer.

Now I'm not saying that the locals always follow the letter of the law, and you may have seen bikes coming out of the woods, but you don't want to get caught.

And just curious, did you ride through there on Sunday? SPER was running an enduro so there would have been bikes all over the Michax area.
Slim Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:05 PM   #10
SWriverstone OP
Woodpecker

So just to clarify Slim Jim...all the colored roads on the map below are off-limits:

Are the roads that *are* open to street-legal motorcycles on this map? Or are there a lot more that this map doesn't show? (Sorry, I'm not very familiar with Michaux...)

And...did I hear correctly that the rationale behind prohibiting motorcycles on the trails is because damage the trails more than ATVs? (I'm skeptical there is sound science behind this claim...)

Thanks,
Scott
Old 09-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #11
Slim Jim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
So just to clarify Slim Jim...all the colored roads on the map below are off-limits:

Are the roads that *are* open to street-legal motorcycles on this map? Or are there a lot more that this map doesn't show? (Sorry, I'm not very familiar with Michaux...)

And...did I hear correctly that the rationale behind prohibiting motorcycles on the trails is because damage the trails more than ATVs? (I'm skeptical there is sound science behind this claim...)

Thanks,
Scott

SWriverstone, you are correct. All of those are atv trails, with the exception of the yellow "trail", which is actually Piney Mt. Ridge Road.

This road runs from Route 30 to Bendersville Road in Adams County. It is seasonal and is closed from sometime after deer season until spring. During that time it is open to atv's and snowmobiles. If you look closely at the map it indicates winter use only. Right now all of the gates are open and you can ride the ridge for about 15 miles or so.

There are a lot more dirt roads to ride than that map is showing. If you stop at the ranger station off of Route 30, they have maps of the state forest roads. There is probably close to 100 miles.

And the whole motorcycles make more damage thing, I asked the ranger that pulled me and my buddies over(non-operating headlight) the same thing, and that was his answer.

Hope this helps.
Slim Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #12
KnightofNi
teh 1337 5uxx0r

for a few roads through the state forest check out the X3 part of the route on the .gpx file in this post. ridge rd that starts out just outside of carlisle. it switches roads after a while and there is some tar in between roads, but it's pretty good and thee are quite a few dirt/gravel roads in the area. most of them seem pretty fast, a few are 1 lane, but none are all that technical. by the way, ridge is rather rough at times.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...60&postcount=1
Old 09-02-2008, 07:41 AM   #13
Laoch
Buying more ammo

Oddometer: 4,337
Plated bikes on forest roads only, almost all gravel. Same roads all legal vehicles can travel.

No bikes of any kind on any kind of trail.

I've been playing in Michaux since I was 16 yo. My FIL was assistant district forester for many tears.
Any bikes you see are probably hooligans. Lots of private land around the forest and only two, IIRC, rangers in SUVs.

As stated call-(717) 352-2211 -and get it from the source.