User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
Sir Not Appearing OP
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
Tires: Duro HF-903/HF-904 vs. Kenda K761

First off, I'm on a budget......a tight budget. Therefore, I've narrowed my tire choice down to two for my project bike. Its currently known as the "Ghetto Versys" amongst my friends after my brother got a Versys and I wanted to try to imitate it with my $500 EX500. I have a complete 1065mi '91 EX500 parts to raise it, mermites, complete bodywork, new wheels, 17" conversion parts for rearend, etc. and will have less than $1200 when finished Anyhow, back to the topic at hand:

Bike: Although not together, I have all the parts to run a 17" aluminum rear and 21" spoked front on this bike. Bike should weigh in about 375-390lb. once its bolted together and mermites are added.

Riding: It will be used both for commuting and some ADV riding this next summer. Hoping to get a couple friends of mine on the TAT from TN to AR.

So which of these budget tires would you pick for a mixture of some mild gravel and hard-pack roads? I've read good about both tires, but I'm new to ADV riding and I want to get tires that are cheap, yet will work with the type of riding that I will be doing.
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
G-Wing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Question Duro?????

Who's not on a budget? I too would like to hear feedback from experience on the Duro
+1
"Excellent, there was a big one coming up ‘Cheap petrol in hell’, that really got me pondering, until I got a little closer and realised the ‘S’ had dropped off the sign advertising the Shell servo in Norseman. Shame really, it was a thought-provoking slogan." - Katie em
G-Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
I have used both and I think you'll do better with the 761's. You might get the same milleage from a 270 though and it will work better off the pavement. I like 761's on road and 270's off but only when I can't afford better tires.
Benjava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #4
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 23,099

Have you guys NOT seen this thread?!?!?

"Very informative and entertaining" says one inmate...

Thumper riders have I got a dual sport tire set for you...

Everything you've ever wanted to know about Duro tires....

Both Good and Bad

Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Sir Not Appearing OP
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
I think I'll be going for the Kenda's. Not much more in price than the Duro's and I haven't really read anything "bad" about them if you use them for their intended purpose of light off-road duty and stay out of the really rough stuff. For right now, those will fit the bill for me.
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Squarejaw
I think I'll be going for the Kenda's. Not much more in price than the Duro's and I haven't really read anything "bad" about them if you use them for their intended purpose of light off-road duty and stay out of the really rough stuff. For right now, those will fit the bill for me.
They look good. I've not ridden them, I have done 25,000+ on Duros. I started the post for dual sport riders tire. It is about Duros with a lot of crap from a couple of guys that haven't run them. There is positive AND negative. I think you might be interested if you or anyone you know wants to try the Duros.

By the way there is a thread on the Kendas too. Do a search for the tire you want to know about and you will get the various threads where the tire is mentioned. Very enlightening if you are looking about for specific tires. You'll get both good and bad that way.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #7
djones745
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
dual sport tires for sumo 17" wheels

anyone know how running a Duro HF904 on the front works? The only size I can find is 130/80x17 which is what I planned on using for the rear. I'm open to other cheap options as well...
Old 08-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
I have run duros for a short time. The rear developed cracks at the base of the knobs after a lot of highway. Took them off, didn't want to risk chunking the knobs off. They are heavy. Off road they did about as you would expect by the design. Not bad, but nothing extraordinary.
I even used a 4.10X18 rear on the front of My TDM for a trip to Westfest. Wore funny but lasted the trip. But that is not a fair test.

itsatdm screwed with this post 08-08-2010 at 12:31 PM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote