User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2015, 08:36 PM   #1
Elefant 900 Rad OP
Hedley

Oddometer: 1,029
Round the World with a Dog ?

I'm sure some have done it and I will search the forums...but I'm gonna ask anyway....anyone done it or know of good ride reports for RTW trips with a dog ?

I may get a sidecar and take my dog with me....or, just leave without him if it's too much of a hassle.

But, it might make a good adventure also !

So, looking for input...whatever it may be....yeah, maybe i'm f#$king crazy.

Either way, I'll be starting to plan that big trip finally.

Thanks,
Ducati 900 Elefant
KTM 950
KTM 640
HD XR1200
Elefant 900 Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 2,200
First inmate that comes to mind is BeemerChef. You can Google him and check his blog.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:16 PM   #3
Farther
Corgi is my Copilot

Oddometer: 52
I haven't been on a long trip because I fear the sun and hot weather for extended period of time would not be good for my Rosie (a 12 year old Corgi). However I do frequent all day trips with her on the back. Rosie sit in a large dairy crate. Looks kind of tacky but is very practical and cheap just to see if you dog will tolerate the ride. See my public profile for a look.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 4,072
They are doing just that

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=884685
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #5
antirich5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
We passed a Harley with a giant dog carrier strapped to the back, somewhere on the 101 south of Pismo Beach.

Rolled up next to the bike to see if man's best friend was resorting to riding back there, but wasn't. He was on the tank!

Guy had a carpeted platform made on his tank for the dog; who was a pretty good size lab mix. Somehow, spot managed to be sleeping the whole time.

Most amazing thing I've seen on a bike.

Dragonfly Interactive
antirich5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:56 PM   #6
Rothkiln
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I read about this issue at length in a sailboat forum that was geared toward "cruisers" (people who cruise around the world in small sail boats). Some of those people carried dogs with them in their travels on their boats, and some countries they visited (or attempted to visit) were extremely strict in their requirements to "import" an animal (dog) into their country while others weren't so bad. I believe Australia required the dog to be locked up in a state quarantine facility for around a month before you could take possession of the animal again, the general consensus was to avoid Britain or any of her former islands/colonies (Australia obviously included). Some countries (like the Bahamas) will require you to have the pet vaccinated within X number of weeks BEFORE you show up in the country and have proof in writing of when the vaccination was performed. The 1 year rabies vaccine won't cut it in that case and if you're planning on making a LOT of border crossings then the poor dog could possibly be receiving many extra vaccinations on the trip. There are some countries where rabies is not endemic and most of those countries will not UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE allow a dog/cat/other-pet-animal-which-could-carry-rabies that has come from an area where rabies is endemic into its borders.

I'd say that you should look at your proposed route and check out the dog importation requirements of each and every country you will be going through. Also consider that some areas/cultures view dogs more as vermin than pets (many Arab / middle-eastern areas). Cruisers travelling through the Suez Canal were routinely cautioned to keep their dogs quiet and out of sight below deck when stopping at any ports along the shores of the Red Sea.

Not trying to discourage you, I'm just trying to give you some scope on how complicated it would be logistically to carry a dog along on a RTW motorcycle trip. People can and do carry pet dogs along with them on RTW sailboat voyages, if they can do it then I'm sure that an advrider can figure out how to make it work as well.

Rothkiln screwed with this post 03-17-2015 at 10:09 PM
Rothkiln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:29 AM   #7
scarysharkface
30-125

Oddometer: 13,352
Personally, while I love my dogs, taking one on an extended trip sounds like a nightmare for all involved.

Beemerchef makes it work because they don't cross borders and generally stay away from people.

John
scarysharkface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:00 AM   #8
larrylarry75
Aye Chihuahua

Oddometer: 320
First off before you "get a sidecar" [Yikes! That's like saying you'll get a bike!] I have to wonder if you've any experience with hacks, and 2nd, has your dog ever ridden in one? If either or both questions are answered with no then you'd best start there, take a test drive on a rig and if that appeals to you see if your dog is willing to ride in one.

If that's already established or at least looks positive then you need to understand your RTW adventure will be all about the dog and little about you or your journey. A lot of sidecar guys take their dogs for short rides but that's not the same as day-in, day-out dealing with their needs. One thing is certain, you won't be making huge miles per day as you'll need to stop often to let your 4-footed pal have some rest time and that will slow you down considerably.

Additional protection from the changing environments will also require special considerations, no easy task to deal with. Then you'll have to comply with the additional red tape challenges that many countries will require of you so more slow-downs will occur.

Your OP didn't make mention of why you feel the need to subject your dog to this proposed ride. It might be good to examine that and maybe re-think what your true reasons are and whether or not your dog will be both safe and healthy. I've no issues with taking dogs for short rides or even extended tours as long as it's understood they're well cared for and the rider is truly focused on the dog's needs over his own.

For myself it's an easy decision, I tour regularly on both bikes and rigs, I have two dogs that I dearly love but I leave them home where they're happy to wait for my return. Knowing they're safe and well cared for means more to me than anything else.

LL75

larrylarry75 screwed with this post 03-21-2015 at 07:45 PM
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:57 PM   #9
boatpuller
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
LarryLarry: All my dogs loved to go (in cars and trucks, never tried on a bike). They would rather be left in the back seat with the windows down while I was in a store, than be left at home when we, their pack, departs. Now obviously, weather and temps need to be considered when leaving a dog in a car, hopefully that could have been left unsaid.

I don't think a dog would hate a ride in a side car at all. If they are good travelers, and not all dogs are, then this would probably be very well received by them. I've driven 1500 miles with dogs in the back seat before, and they were very happy to be going. The trip doesn't seem to bother them at all, and it doesn't have to add much time to the trip.

While my cats are happier staying at home waiting for me, my dogs hate to be left, and love to go. I think most dogs are that way.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:42 PM   #10
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,433
Ask the dog. Most will say yes, but then they regret it. Then they will torture you.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:12 AM   #11
izom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 382
Thumb

...why not -!? depends on the dog! if it can sit for hours and you like to do it!? - DO IT! ;-))

..take some pics ! ;-)

82 xr 500 - love those old thumpers

92 XTZ 750 rally style
izom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:40 PM   #12
larrylarry75
Aye Chihuahua

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
LarryLarry: All my dogs loved to go (in cars and trucks, never tried on a bike). They would rather be left in the back seat with the windows down while I was in a store, than be left at home when we, their pack, departs. Now obviously, weather and temps need to be considered when leaving a dog in a car, hopefully that could have been left unsaid.

I don't think a dog would hate a ride in a side car at all. If they are good travelers, and not all dogs are, then this would probably be very well received by them. I've driven 1500 miles with dogs in the back seat before, and they were very happy to be going. The trip doesn't seem to bother them at all, and it doesn't have to add much time to the trip.

While my cats are happier staying at home waiting for me, my dogs hate to be left, and love to go. I think most dogs are that way.
No offense intended man, the OP's original post just sounded a bit on the whimsical side. Since he stated he intends to "get a sidecar" rig and ride around the world on it with his dog at his side he might find the following thread useful and informative:

http://advrider.com/forums/search.php?searchid=42020109

There's no shortage of dog lovers here on ADV, especially among the riders who pilot sidecars. I'm sure I speak for many of them when I say I look forward to reading about his upcoming exploits.

Best of luck,

LL75

larrylarry75 screwed with this post 03-21-2015 at 07:49 PM
larrylarry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:56 PM   #13
RaindogDenmark
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Met a dutch woman, once. Travelled with her cat - in a bicycle trailer. Asked her, if the cat didn't become disorientated, waking up in a new place every morning. She said... No, it´s not a new place... - It the same tent it wakes up in every morning... Apparently no problem at all.

Found this:
https://cyclinggypsies.wordpress.com/dogs-on-bikes/

Johs
RaindogDenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:41 PM   #14
dutchjohn
Adventure Touring

Oddometer: 343
riding DOGS

A friend of mine has a brother who has a dog that love's to ride!
dutchjohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:49 PM   #15
kuhjunge
3wheel enthusiast

Oddometer: 489
Wicked Sauerkraut & Tofuwurst - vegan bikers trotting around the globe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
Hi - a fan

Our dogs are like our kids. We would never leave them behind, they come first, then the bikes and then us.

Sidecar is the the only meaningful way to go. Trailer is out of question because then the dogs get all the exhaust fumes (maybe if the exhaust is extended all the way beyond the trailer but no idea how the engine will like it). I also tested with two dogs on a solo bike in custom-made cases behind me (instead of back seat and top case) but they really did not like that. In each curve they got banged to the walls and they could not see properly. Besides that we got surprised by snow and I was afraid of falling - what would happen to the dogs in that case?

Having a sidecar allows to take enough dog food and supplies for those areas which might be a bit more critical like country side in West-Africa.

I found it easier to compile some info on a webpage instead of only ADVrider forum, so feel free to look up our posts and infos:
www.sauerkraut-tofuwurst.com.

In case you feel that your dogs would get too stressed about the journey, nobody forces you to continue

I would not miss this journey for anything and our dogs love to be with us 24/7.
kuhjunge is offline   Reply With Quote