Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #16
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,727
I'll admit, I learned a little bit from this but the most important thing:

TORTILLAS

Why didn't I think of that? I love tortillas but I was thinking of how I was going to back 5 PBJ sammiches on my next trip

I really appreciate this though. The first time I took a trip that was on my dime, and I spent money like a drunken sailor because I was so high off the road. This time around, I've got to fight that and work at being a little more constructive with my money (I'm a sucker for beer and greasy food and that adds up fast )

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #17
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guero
TORTILLAS

Why didn't I think of that? I love tortillas but I was thinking of how I was going to back 5 PBJ sammiches on my next trip

(I'm a sucker for beer and greasy food and that adds up fast.
Better test out the PB&J tortillas before you go. I had a hard time eating peanut butter and honey tortillas. Just didn't taste right.

If it's the buzz you're after, and not necessarily the taste of beer, pick up a liter of your favorite liquor. One of my favorite drinks is now Southern Comfort and Tang, acquired from a long-term canoe trip. Beth Johnson, who wrote "Yukon Wild" about an all-female expedition down the Yukon river by canoe, carried Everclear because of it's alcohol per dollar content. They mixed it with Tang or other beverages they got along the way.

As for greasy foods, you can still dive in (to some extent) if you follow my advice to skip the drinks, and aim for the lower-priced items on the menu. A good burger or fried chicken is a few bucks. Steaks or ribs is where it's expensive. Getting a coke with your meal (or a beer, in your case) suddenly adds 2-3 dollars.

Quote:
look to canoe sites for decent, packable meal ideas. My personal faves are fried granola for breakfast, DIY dehydrated pasta sauce (30 min lasagna on a single burner anyone?) and making bannock (versatile Canadian camping bread recipes). Really helps stretch a buck, and tastes a ton better than any processed chain food. Also, you can find refillable squeeze tubes that you can pack with anything (mayo, peanut butter, margerine).

e.g. For less than $10 you can have pancake breakfast, soup & bannock lunch, with bannock pizza or home made jerky lasagna for dinner. All recipes are just add water with no reefer needed, needing 30mins or less preparation.

http://www.myccr.com/SectionTechniqu..._category_id=3
Thanks for the link. I like those squeeze tubes. I had an issue carrying honey, and a jar of peanut butter never seems to fit anywhere. How leak-proof are the tubes? Can you carry margarine unrefrigerated?

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #18
Burtonridr
Wanderlost

Oddometer: 3,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z
Better test out the PB&J tortillas before you go. I had a hard time eating peanut butter and honey tortillas. Just didn't taste right.
You can make a good tortilla wrap with cheap lunch meat and cheese with mustard. I dont use mayo, but thats just me.

Instead of carrying an expensive cooking stove that uses white gas or alcohol. Build a cheap wood stove out of 4" dryer exhaust tubing. Or just buy this guys

http://www.trailstove.com/winter/

I'm going to try making one out of the 4" exhaust tubing, Maybe I will post a write up.

Oatmeal is another cheap, just add water meal.

Potato flakes are another

Cant think of anything else to share at the moment...

There are some great ideas on this thread, thanks

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds."

Burtonridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #19
Burtonridr
Wanderlost

Oddometer: 3,717
Quote:
...If it's the buzz you're after, and not necessarily the taste of beer, pick up a liter of your favorite liquor....
+1 I carry an MSR bottle filled with Vodka, a nalgene bottle and ready mix koolaid, just add water

"This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between posts. Please try again in 1 seconds."

Burtonridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #20
mhpr262

Oddometer: 3,562
Good, but maybe you ought to put the link in your sig line or sth. so more people get to see it. Trip planning isn´t the busiest forum on advrider.
mhpr262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:13 AM   #21
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,865
Z-man, I use the collapsible btls that are like a large toothpaste tube for water to drink directly. 24 hr stores like Wally World, Meiers, etc., are great for an on the road sponge bath. Most Wallys allow camping as do all Cabelas and you can tent on the fringe sometimes. Personal safety is something to size up before putting down for the night and I don't infer Mexico when I say this. You are unable to do the next suggestion, but "senior coffee" @ Macs place is a part of a cheap bkfst-I usually get one burrito with it and makes for a cheap meal-you can also get a snack wrap on the cheap for lunch and mix it with your own drink.
Some will be making fun of your approach to budget travel-I roaded for awhile with a guy in Mexico that initiated that he found it amusing that some seniors seem to always have a lemonade powder to put in their water to be skinflint diners-WELL, my Wife and I frequently do that! She has a reason, being that she is forced to avoid caffeine and it is problematic in some resturants as they don't have caffeine free drinks , other than water.I too like the stuff and as fixed income types we save lots on the meal by doing so. I say if the shoe doesn't fit, don't wear it!
My biggest enemy for road camping/backpacking has always been the weather. There just is not a lot of fun in a wet night and packing up in the rain, so let me know when you get that one "figured out".
The bottles are brand name"Platypus" and you can get them @ www.campmor.com

kantuckid screwed with this post 03-27-2008 at 07:34 AM
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #22
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid
Most Wallys allow camping as do all Cabelas and you can tent on the fringe sometimes

My biggest enemy for road camping/backpacking has always been the weather. There just is not a lot of fun in a wet night and packing up in the rain, so let me know when you get that one "figured out".
When you say Walmart and Cabelas allows camping, do you mean tent camping? Right out in the lot? Off to the side in the grass? I've frequently slept behind warehouses and other large buildings, but never an open business.

As for camping in the rain--it doesn't work all the time, but try to find something like these places I found while it was raining:

The first one is next to some government office in Mexico, the second is behind a firehouse in Alabama (I think). The last picture is in a small building under construction to house phone equipment. In fact, there were bad storms that night and tornadoes. I slept fine.

Of course, you can't always fine a roof when you need to, but sometimes you can.

Jamie

Old 03-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #23
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 2,059
Quote:

Thanks for the link. I like those squeeze tubes. I had an issue carrying honey, and a jar of peanut butter never seems to fit anywhere. How leak-proof are the tubes? Can you carry margarine unrefrigerated?

Jamie
Jamie Z: I have carried peanut butter, honey, and jam in the squeeze tubes, called Gerry Tubes, for backpacking (not all of these in one tube at the same time!). I would also put the Gerry tube inside of a zip-lock bag for extra assurance.

I have carried margarine for backpacking trips for up to a week, with no apparent problems with the margarine going bad. But that was in the Sierras and the daytime temps were not blazing hot.

According to my backpacking recipe/cook book, The Hungry Hiker's Book of Good Cooking, by Gretchen McHugh, she claims that margarine will not get rancid even in the hottest weather.

If you don't like the taste of margarine, you can take clarified butter instead. It will last longer than regular butter, but not as long as margarine. To clarify butter, melt it gently, then pour the pure yellow liquid part into your container and let cool. (The remainder residue are the milk solids and you can use them at home for flavoring foods if you want.)

Another alternative for a butter flavor are butter buds, which is the dried parts of butter without the fat. They can be used for flavoring but not for frying.
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:40 PM   #24
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,865
The atlas sold at Walmart lists which ones "allow" sleeping in the parking lot-usually this involves an RV, but I have stretched the envelope to include my tent when I could find a nice level spot in the grass. I have also set up my tent in the back of a Cracker Barrel in an "unsanctioned" effort to get some sleep. Churches frequently have nice oversized and well lit lawns where you can go back out of the way too. The Cabelas stores dont have an actual campsite, but they even go so far as to have kennels for your dogs with water, etc..With that in place I am sure they wont complain about a tent and I've used my pickup camper there several times.
kantuckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #25
QuickMule
Half-fast Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,697
The foil pouches of tuna are easier to pack and eat from – soy sauce packets from Chinese fast food places like Panda Express are pretty good on otherwise dry tuna.

If you’re not in a hurry, Maki was able to keep to her amazingly tight 3rd-world style food budget in the US by grazing the sample tables at Costcos all across the country. I’ve tried this since hearing her recommend it – not being an 80lb Japanese woman I doubt I could exist solely on little squares of lasagna, Cliff bars, Dixi cups of nuts, 3” dia. pancakes, etc. - but I can see where this would stretch out the gaps between an occasional pouch of tuna and a PB sandwich to enable me to eat on just a couple of bucks a day and still get good variety.
QuickMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:06 PM   #26
Ironrdr
Pay No Attention...

Oddometer: 534
Great tips, Jamie.

Thanks for the write-up.

2011 Ride West Ride Report
Ironrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #27
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes Shut
I have carried peanut butter, honey, and jam in the squeeze tubes, called Gerry Tubes, for backpacking. I would also put the Gerry tube inside of a zip-lock bag for extra assurance.

I have carried margarine for backpacking trips for up to a week, with no apparent problems with the margarine going bad. But that was in the Sierras and the daytime temps were not blazing hot.

Another alternative for a butter flavor are butter buds, which is the dried parts of butter without the fat. They can be used for flavoring but not for frying.
I'll look into the Gerry Tubes, thanks.

Margarine tip is a good one. Carrying any sort of dairy product is difficult. I've played a bit with butter buds, and in addition to being rather expensive (like dried eggs, holy cow) I didn't find them very useful for cooking. We tried to make Macaroni and Cheese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kantuckid
Churches frequently have nice oversized and well lit lawns where you can go back out of the way too.
I often sleep in churchyards, and it's mentioned in my article. Sleeping outside Walmart or Cabelas is a new one on me though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickMule
The foil pouches of tuna are easier to pack and eat from – soy sauce packets from Chinese fast food places like Panda Express are pretty good on otherwise dry tuna.
Good tip, but the tuna comes at a cost of about double a regular can of tuna. One must weigh budget vs. convenience here. Soy sauce is a good idea.

Jamie

Old 03-18-2008, 06:12 PM   #28
G.Gordon
Nation of Frustration

Oddometer: 9,243
Good info. I like traveling on the cheap even when I don't have to. Fuel is the biggest expense now days and it's my right wrist that is the culprit. Not flogging the beast would surely help stretch my travel dollars.

Camping on the hills that highways cut through is safe and you'll not be bothered. This shot is on the side of hwy 190 in Texas just outside of Eldorado. Dinner consisted of a can of store brand chicken noodle soup, crackers, and raisins.

The soul attracts that which it secretly harbors;
that which it loves, and also that which it fears.

James Allen

G.Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:01 PM   #29
EmilB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Thumb Quick Breakfast

If you're traveling, for a quick and easy breakfast, try the instant oatmeal packets. Now, I do realize that you said you don't carry a stove. No problem, at the next gas station, get some hot water from the coffee machine. The oatmeal packs are lined so they will hold the water, eat right from the packaging, and no dirty dishes. I've done this will traveling on the bike.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:43 PM   #30
nashopolis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
great thread!

if churches are okay with camping, we here in middle TENN can sleep comfortable about every fifty feet.

When sleeping outside of churches do you ask first? or just pitch and pray (so to speak)

Also I know it is an answer which changes from trip to trip and person to person, but I was curious what you, Jamie Z, considered essential to take on trips. You mention packing light. But since I have'nt ever been successful at this art I wonder how light can you go before you start sacrificing significantly on the comfort level.

I've never done it myself, but my punk roustabout friends are master dumpster divers. They always seem to pull out interesting things and free meals.

They are also very clever in working out super cheap options at resturants...often by ordering sides or some obscure menu items which combined equal a regular meal on the menu for much less $.

I agree it is really a mindset, once you start thinking outside the box, you can have a totally different set of choices.
nashopolis is offline   Reply With Quote