Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2008, 05:23 PM   #1
27rich OP
roughing it :)

Oddometer: 353
Oz - The Border track, Ngarkat ride SA

Hello all,

My first overnight trip ride report. Well I left Adelaide on the Saturday morning around 08:30 and headed out towards Palmer. From there I followed the old railway line down to Monarto and into Murray Bridge. Once out of Murray Bridge I then proceeded down Kepa rd and onto Bullers rd that turns into a nice track, which is sandy and rocky in places, this leads onto Chapman Bore Hall and out onto the Old Adelaide rd. From there I proceeded to Kulde railway station and followed the track for about 100kms to Alawoona where I was hoping to get fuel for the next leg of the journey. Unbeknown to myself there is no fuel available in Alawoona, therefore I continued along the railway service track to Loxton another 30kms. From here a new plan was formulated to cut across Gratwick rd to the SA/VIC Border Track. I then turned south heading for Pinnaroo. As Notsoblas’e (thanks Notsoblas’e for the Border Track suggestion) pointed out the track started out nice and easily but quickly became sandy and for good measure through in lots of deep sandy woops up and over crests. These over the crest deep sandy woops sections only court me out and allowed me to eat sand a measly 5 times not bad for over 130kms of track. Before any one asks on I didn’t get any pic’s as for some reason the bike leaks fuel slowly when laying on its side so the thought was to pick it up asap.

Anyway back to the story.

At one point about half way along the track you hit a dead end with a sign that said Border Track 5kms to the left, so after searching for the start again for some time and not finding it I proceeded across to a little grain silo at Peebinga and then cut diagonally south to rejoin the Border Track again. As luck would have it the track got even more sandy, this is where 3 out of my 5 get offs happened all in the space of about a km, nothing like killing a mans spirit. It just so happened that while I was out there I noticed what looked like fresh bike tracks which was lucky for me as in a couple of sections the track is fairly ambiguous as to where to go, so I just followed these (and hoped) and they found there way to the fence line every time (thanks to the unknown rider, looked to be riding a Honda, who I saw somewhere further down the track taking a different line heading back north, not shore if they saw me though). By the time I reached Pinnaroo I was knacked and it was around 17:00 so I pitched my tent in the local caravan park and settled in for the night. For those that are interested the Loxton to Pinnaroo leg I used 11ltrs of fuel for around 140 kms

The next day I again headed off towards Lameroo along the railway line service line. After topping up the fuel tank I continued along the track till I hit Bews South rd where I turned south and headed towards and into Ngarkat Conservation Park. From talking to a neighbour he told me that the park was sandy (o’joy more sand), however upon entering the park the track was nice wide hard road, and after a few kms came across some deep sand a few hundred meter long, and after the previous days sandy adventure I thought this was going to be piece of piss if this is what he meant by sandy.

Well a few more kms into the park and all there was, was sand, sand and more sand however it was not exceptionally beep and with the previous days experience found the ride challenging but enjoyable. I continued south down Baan Hill Track up and over dunes till I come to the southern part to the park (started to get worried as always there were many roads that were unmarked so not sure if I had missed my turn). From here I turned south towards Bucks Camp Soak over even more sandy dunes (can anyone see pattern for this trip). From Bucks Camp north till I came across a road (that was not signed, another park issue, a lack of signs) that I hoped was the one that was going to take me out to Tintinara, thankfully this turned out to be the correct decision (easy to start doubting yourself when you are alone, lack of signage and are travelling along these types of tracks). Again fuel usage for this leg of around 150kms was 9ltrs.

From Tintinara it was the back way up Prosser rd, Lewis rd, Heinrich rd, Pascoe rd, Tauragat Well rd and then across another little track (you guessed it more sandy dunes, by now you should have the pattern, SAND) to Netherton rd to Peake. From Peake I zig-zagged my way through to near Wynarka via Stirling Well rd, Peak rd and Andersons rd. from there it was a repeat of the way out to Murray Bridge. From Murray Bridge it was a matter of winding my way back to Lobethal via Steep Hill rd and any other dirt roads in-between. Then along the tar till home, Hell of a trip

27rich screwed with this post 02-27-2008 at 04:48 AM Reason: no picutres
27rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:03 AM   #2
27rich OP
roughing it :)

Oddometer: 353
will have to load pics in one by one.

Saturday morning all packed up.
Attached Images

27rich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:08 AM   #3
27rich OP