ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #241
crash n bern
Beastly Adventurer
 
crash n bern's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Brisbane Oztrailia
Oddometer: 1,157
I don't think Charlie ever claimed to be the worlds number one adventure rider. He made a show to sell so he could earn a living. To do that you usually have to play along with what the production company wants. From my limited involvement in film they seem to spend a lot of money and use a lot of people to get a few minutes of film, but that's how they do it. TV is all about entertainment and make believe and they do what they do to get the end result. LWD wasn't made to show adventure riders how it's done, it was made to entertain Mr and Mrs Joe average.

There a quite a few blokes on this site that would be far more entertaining than Charlie on TV. Maybe Phil could pitch his shows to the Discovery channel, but then he'd start copping flak because they helicoptered him out to his bike in the Simpson to fit into their timing schedules and his cow milking schedules.
__________________

crash n bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:41 PM   #242
PBee
*
 
PBee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Kersbrook
Oddometer: 7,632
__________________


QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUBEst 2011
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the ANGORICHINA Village


PBee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:01 PM   #243
Doctor
Keyboard Renagade
 
Doctor's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: The Promised land
Oddometer: 7,251
__________________
I never existed, you've been wasting ya time
Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #244
PBee
*
 
PBee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Kersbrook
Oddometer: 7,632
Hay Doc, somebody will be along soon to tell us it's 205.
__________________


QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUBEst 2011
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the ANGORICHINA Village


PBee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:28 AM   #245
Clacka
motomofo
 
Clacka's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Brisbanana
Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post


i forgot that serious lesson i shall say no more about the fraud cheers to this thread

I don't know where you get the idea that Charlie is a fraud, I don't recall him ever claiming that the ride was unsupported, all they said was that they would be riding on their own and meeting up at certain spots and border crossings which is what happened. They never tried to hide the fact that the cars were there or that they were carrying spares and a doctor etc. or that Claudio was with them filming as they went.

Where's the fraud?
__________________
2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM (Dazza? Dizzy? Darcy? Dougal?)
2010 Yamaha XTZ660 Tenere (Trev)
2007 Honda CT110 (Hercules)
2004 HD 1200 Custom Sporty (Harold) FOR SALE
sortof...
1978 Yamaha TT500 (The Beast) (sold)
Clacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #246
Clacka
motomofo
 
Clacka's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Brisbanana
Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash n bern View Post
I don't think Charlie ever claimed to be the worlds number one adventure rider. He made a show to sell so he could earn a living. To do that you usually have to play along with what the production company wants. From my limited involvement in film they seem to spend a lot of money and use a lot of people to get a few minutes of film, but that's how they do it. TV is all about entertainment and make believe and they do what they do to get the end result. LWD wasn't made to show adventure riders how it's done, it was made to entertain Mr and Mrs Joe average.

There a quite a few blokes on this site that would be far more entertaining than Charlie on TV. Maybe Phil could pitch his shows to the Discovery channel, but then he'd start copping flak because they helicoptered him out to his bike in the Simpson to fit into their timing schedules and his cow milking schedules.

Haven't you heard? Apparently Phil is a fraud because he's done a couple of rides with a support vehicle. Apparently it doesn't matter that he did actually do the rides, there was a 4wd somewhere in the vicinty, so unfortunately it doesn't count and we can't respect him....... sorry Phil
__________________
2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM (Dazza? Dizzy? Darcy? Dougal?)
2010 Yamaha XTZ660 Tenere (Trev)
2007 Honda CT110 (Hercules)
2004 HD 1200 Custom Sporty (Harold) FOR SALE
sortof...
1978 Yamaha TT500 (The Beast) (sold)
Clacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:45 AM   #247
Clacka
motomofo
 
Clacka's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Brisbanana
Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

That's gold
__________________
2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM (Dazza? Dizzy? Darcy? Dougal?)
2010 Yamaha XTZ660 Tenere (Trev)
2007 Honda CT110 (Hercules)
2004 HD 1200 Custom Sporty (Harold) FOR SALE
sortof...
1978 Yamaha TT500 (The Beast) (sold)
Clacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:29 AM   #248
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool
 
troy safari carpente's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: f5ederation of scandwegia
Oddometer: 16,107
Box office Charlie...

Good old box office Charlie... Love him or hate him, even five years on (from the OP original thread) he is good for a half dozen pages of diverging opinion and repressed feelings!

A testament to his wide appeal and box office value. Maybe that's why he's Charlie and we're not?!

Smells Like Bullsh¤t To Me...?

by Near'varna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWKbfoikeg

Load up the couch, and ring your friends
It's fun to watch and to pretend
He's over-Boored and self-insured
I, know, I know, it's a dirty word

Allo, Allo, Allo, How low (x3)
Allo, Allo, Allo

With the lights on, it's less dangerous
Here's our money, entertain us
Don't feel stupid, it's contagious
There's a car now, just outrageous!

He's a pommie!
An albino!
Oscar winning?
Fuck'ed if I know?! ... Yeah!

Hey...?!
Yeah?

Charlie's worse at what we do best
And for this gift we all feel blessed
Our little tribe has always been
Oz ADV until the end


Allo, Allo, Allo, How low (x3)
Allo, Allo, Allo

With support crew, it's less dangerous
Here we are now, entertain us
Don´t be stupid, just explain us,
Corporate sponsors, can sustain us?

A machiatto
Cappucino
Where's a starbuck's?
Fuck'ed if I know...? Yeah!

Hey...?!
Yeah!?


(Guitar solo... Chucky Rocks!)


And I forget just why I waste (my time)
Oh, yeah, I guess it makes me smile
I found it hard, it's hard to find
Oh well, whatever, nevermind


Allo, Allo, Allo, How low (x3)
Allo, Allo, Allo

With the film crew, it's less dangerous
Here we are - wow...! Cannot change us
You feel stupid...? It's contagious
Here we are Charles, entertain us!

An adventure?
Asked if I'd go?
Document-ry?
Fuck'ed if I know?!

The denial... the denial! (x9)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy John

"There is a difference between constructive criticism and plain rudeness."


Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen

"It's like deja vu all over again."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:34 AM   #249
Doctor
Keyboard Renagade
 
Doctor's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: The Promised land
Oddometer: 7,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by troy safari carpente View Post
Good old box office Charlie... Love him or hate him, even five years on (from the OP original thread) he is good for a half dozen pages of diverging opinion and repressed feelings!

A testament to his wide appeal and box office value. Maybe that's why he's Charlie and we're not?!

Smells Like Bullsh¤t To Me...?

by Near'varna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWKbfoikeg

Load up the couch, and ring your friends
It's fun to watch and to pretend
He's over-Boored and self-insured
I, know, I know, it's a dirty word

Allo, Allo, Allo, How low (x3)
Allo, Allo, Allo

With the lights on, it's less dangerous
Here's our money, entertain us
Don't feel stupid, it's contagious
There's a car now, just outrageous!

He's a pommie!
An albino!
Oscar winning?
Fuck'ed if I know?! ... Yeah!

Hey...?!
Yeah?

Charlie's worse at what we do best
And for this gift we all feel blessed
Our little tribe has always been
Oz ADV until the end


Allo, Allo, Allo, How low (x3)
Allo, Allo, Allo

With support crew, it's less dangerous
Here we are now, entertain us
Don´t be stupid, just explain us,
Corporate sponsors, can sustain us?

A machiatto
Cappucino
Where's a starbuck's?
Fuck'ed if I know...? Yeah!

Hey...?!
Yeah!?


(Guitar solo... Chucky Rocks!)


And I forget just why I waste (my time)
Oh, yeah, I guess it makes me smile
I found it hard, it's hard to find
Oh well, whatever, nevermind


Allo, Allo, Allo, How low (x3)
Allo, Allo, Allo

With the film crew, it's less dangerous
Here we are - wow...! Cannot change us
You feel stupid...? It's contagious
Here we are Charles, entertain us!

An adventure?
Asked if I'd go?
Document-ry?
Fuck'ed if I know?!

The denial... the denial! (x9)
Troy you are the gun with words
this is the second one i will be reading at the 'Bards' this year beaming to the printer as i write
__________________
I never existed, you've been wasting ya time
Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:51 AM   #250
Clacka
motomofo
 
Clacka's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Brisbanana
Oddometer: 769
Troy, you da man
__________________
2005 Suzuki DRZ400SM (Dazza? Dizzy? Darcy? Dougal?)
2010 Yamaha XTZ660 Tenere (Trev)
2007 Honda CT110 (Hercules)
2004 HD 1200 Custom Sporty (Harold) FOR SALE
sortof...
1978 Yamaha TT500 (The Beast) (sold)
Clacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:55 AM   #251
PBee
*
 
PBee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Kersbrook
Oddometer: 7,632
Troy, it's summer...........why aren't you out riding.......?
__________________


QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUBEst 2011
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the ANGORICHINA Village


PBee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:15 AM   #252
rjf
SBS's #1 fan in January
 
rjf's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
Oddometer: 4,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash n bern View Post
Phil could pitch his shows to the Discovery channel, but then he'd start copping flak because they helicoptered him out to his bike in the Simpson to fit into their timing schedules and his cow milking schedules.
I think Phil does it the other way round, that's how he gets the video taken from the plane and the girls get milked when he's off on a trip



__________________
Central Coast ADVenture bike training courses and 1 on 1 lessons - For details Click HERE
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadslide, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming- WOW-WHAT A RIDE!
rjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #253
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool
 
troy safari carpente's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: f5ederation of scandwegia
Oddometer: 16,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee View Post
Troy, it's summer...........why aren't you out riding.......?
Have been... actually, three days in the last five... in between trips to the beach with the better half and kids.

It's just that I can type faster than Charlie rides... and de-composing (songs) is one of the things that bullshit is best at... so it doesn't take (me) too much time from the finer things in life.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy John

"There is a difference between constructive criticism and plain rudeness."


Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen

"It's like deja vu all over again."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #254
tHEtREV
tEAM iDIOT
 
tHEtREV's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Middle Park, Brisbane, Australia
Oddometer: 6,513
Quick question, who here would pass up the opertunity to do the rides he has done?

I wouldn't mind riding around the world or the length of Africa even if it had to be on a GS.

I haven't seen LWR and only saw 2 episodes or LWD, not my thing but I still have respect for them.
__________________
tEAM iDIOT.

KDX Super Fan!

My Spot HERE .
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #255
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?
 
GagsD2's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: SW Vic (Aus)
Oddometer: 1,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by tHEtREV View Post
Quick question, who here would pass up the opertunity to do the rides he has done?

I wouldn't mind riding around the world or the length of Africa even if it had to be on a GS.

I haven't seen LWR and only saw 2 episodes or LWD, not my thing but I still have respect for them.
Hell I'd do it on a Vespa if someone was picking up the tab........I'd even be up for the film crew, even though I've good a good face for radio...
__________________
The faster you go, the less it hurts.....
GagsD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014