ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 01:14 PM   #31
sproot
Sturdy Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: London, England
Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Mine shuts off.
Does anyone know why it shuts off? Does it have a pressure switch in it?
__________________
-----------------------------------------
950 A (04)
sproot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 10:30 PM   #32
gefr
Life is a trip
 
gefr's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: East Med, Greece
Oddometer: 3,709
I assume the pulse it produces is loading a spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sproot
Does anyone know why it shuts off? Does it have a pressure switch in it?
A solenoid should be loading a spring. So the spring pushes a piston. If the pressure in the fuel system restricts the piston from moving, the ticking sound is not produced. So you could say the fp "senses" the pressure. I believe the electronics are not switching off, but the piston movenent is mechanically restricted from the fuel pressure.

Mine (facett #40105 + return valve) is heard when left resting for some time and then start the engine, but not always. And not for the same duration.
__________________
There is always a reason!!
Fuel filters Fuel pump
Aluminum base plate for ITG foam air filter
Clutch master cylinder resleeving
Out of office 25 till 4th August

gefr screwed with this post 04-05-2008 at 02:02 PM
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 04:30 AM   #33
MymoJoe
Ride Ride Ride
 
MymoJoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Fernvale QLD not close enough to the desert
Oddometer: 2,739
Mounting the 40171

mounting pump with tourtec bash plate. I have read the entire post on "another dead fuel pump" however I can't find the instructions for mounting the facet 40171 with the tourtec bash plate. I bolted mine under the battery carrier however there is not enough clearance to put the bash plate back on..... can some one point me in the right direction?

The good news is my bike fires up nice, yet to ride it though.

joe
__________________
Simpson Trip 2008

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...33#post7397233




Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"
MymoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:08 AM   #34
280racer
AKA: WrongTiredGuy
 
280racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Nashua, New Hampshire
Oddometer: 171
pressure switch...

The instructions for the 40171 says that installing an OIL PRESSURE SWITCH inline with the pump is "STRONGLY RECOMMENDED" to prevent the pump from running if the engine stops and the ignition switch is on. That suggests to me that there is no "pressure switch" in the pump and also suggests there might be an issue leaving the pump wired the way we are long-term. Of course it might just be a paranoid safety-minded warning too... as in it would be uncool to be pumping fuel all over the place if something bad happens. Time will tell but it might be interesting if someone could track the location of the engine's oil pressure switch and figure out how to wire it into the fuel pump circuit...
__________________
Too many bikes...
280racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:12 AM   #35
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 8,872
My pump shuts off when pressure is reached.
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:25 AM   #36
280racer
AKA: WrongTiredGuy
 
280racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Nashua, New Hampshire
Oddometer: 171
So does mine but...

The question is not whether it stops, but HOW (WHY?) it stops... Is there a sensor in the circuit that shuts power? Or is there something mechanical within the pump itself that when the pressure is high enough, the pump simply stops but still has current going to it? The fact the pump runs as soon as you turn on the ignition means it is NOT using an oil pressure curcuit. To my mind that leaves some sort of fuel pressure sensor, or the pump is just mecahnically stopping when the pressure gets to spec...

... checking to see if the pump still has power when it stops pumping should be easy enough for someone to check and I think would answer most of the question.
__________________
Too many bikes...
280racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:37 AM   #37
Ooobah-Moto
Banned
 
Ooobah-Moto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto / London
Oddometer: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortaygo
mounting pump with tourtec bash plate. I have read the entire post on "another dead fuel pump" however I can't find the instructions for mounting the facet 40171 with the tourtec bash plate. I bolted mine under the battery carrier however there is not enough clearance to put the bash plate back on..... can some one point me in the right direction?

The good news is my bike fires up nice, yet to ride it though.

joe
FYI, I read through the instructions and can confirm that Facet makes mention of there being a fuel filter required (specifically; mounted 'upstream', where it filters the fuel before it enters the pump). - just like 280racer did.

However, I installed my 40171 with the filter 'doin-it's-thang' once the fuel has already passed through the pump (i.e. downstream). I wanted to reuse the original fuel lines (mostly out of laziness!)... as such, fitting the filter before the pump would have resulted in the original fuel lines being too short.

Anyway, I have a TouraTech skid plate and had some trouble fitting the pump+filter under the bike. So, here are my suggestions (if you have a TT skid plate) - cut the tab's off the Facet pump and adhere it to the bottom of the battery box (via Velcro or something really sticky). Be sure to mount the pump as close to the rear of the bike as possible. In fact, there's a nook on the bottom of the motor, near the rear of the battery box - the corner of the pump will fit into that nook and allow JUST enough clearance for the TT plate.

IMHO, I wouldn't worry too much about adhering the pump anyway; the TT skid plate will hold the pump in place. I didn't have anything to adhere the pump to the bottom of the bike with anyway, so I just left it hanging while I secured the TT plate into place - really tight fit!!!

Oh, one last thing.. brass/copper fittings (to achieve the 90 degree bend) work perfect! Just remember to use PTFE tape (yellow - resists chemical breakdown).


Overall,
So far so good.
Ooobah-Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #38
280racer
AKA: WrongTiredGuy
 
280racer's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Nashua, New Hampshire
Oddometer: 171
filter mount...

I was guessing the filter was as much to protect the pump as anything so I mounted it up-stream. Also, the way I mounted it I was able to re-use the inlet hose. I ony replaced the outlet hose which was actually pretty easy. There is a fitting about half-way up the tank on the left side if the bike which is where I just spliced in the new line. So, I only had to cut/fit one fuel line. I think if I had taken about an inch of the inlet hose it would have fit slightly better but no big deal.
__________________
Too many bikes...
280racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #39
Ooobah-Moto
Banned
 
Ooobah-Moto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto / London
Oddometer: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by 280racer
The question is not whether it stops, but HOW (WHY?) it stops... Is there a sensor in the circuit that shuts power? Or is there something mechanical within the pump itself that when the pressure is high enough, the pump simply stops but still has current going to it? The fact the pump runs as soon as you turn on the ignition means it is NOT using an oil pressure curcuit. To my mind that leaves some sort of fuel pressure sensor, or the pump is just mecahnically stopping when the pressure gets to spec...

... checking to see if the pump still has power when it stops pumping should be easy enough for someone to check and I think would answer most of the question.
Mine does the same. Starts 'pumping' as soon as the ignition is turned on. After about 3 seconds it turns off.... guessin it's a mechanical device that senses an adequate pressure - hence shutting it off. As such, I like to think I'm allowing the pump to "prime" the carb - once I turn on the ignition. Thereafter I start the bike - once I initially hear the pump stop buzzing. Starts-up like a champ!
Ooobah-Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:48 AM   #40
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 8,872
No dont cut the tabs off.
Bend the back one up 90 degrees. Place the pump as far back as it can go under the battery box. The 90 degree up bend will slide up between the battery box and the engine. Now use pan head bolts and bolt the pump to the battery box. Get fuel line and put the filter where it belongs. It all works with the TT skidplate and shouldnt leave you stranded.

velcro ?
You know Rube Goldfarb ?
I'm kidding , but thats the way I and others have done it with sucsess.
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 10:04 AM   #41
cpmodem
Orange Caveman
 
cpmodem's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: masa yee yah tee 59 14' 9" N / 135 26' 42" W
Oddometer: 7,103
Talking Don't go gettin' all paro noid on us now

Quote:
Originally Posted by 280racer
The instructions for the 40171 says that installing an OIL PRESSURE SWITCH inline with the pump is "STRONGLY RECOMMENDED" to prevent the pump from running if the engine stops and the ignition switch is on. That suggests to me that there is no "pressure switch" in the pump and also suggests there might be an issue leaving the pump wired the way we are long-term. Of course it might just be a paranoid safety-minded warning too... as in it would be uncool to be pumping fuel all over the place if something bad happens. Time will tell but it might be interesting if someone could track the location of the engine's oil pressure switch and figure out how to wire it into the fuel pump circuit...
No oil pressure cut off switch is required if you connect the new pump (Facet or whatever) to the existing fuel pump wiring (black-blue and brown). The ECU controls the fuel pump through the fuel pump relay. The ECU is also what allows the fuel pump to run for a few seconds when the ignition switch is first turned on, butt the engine isn't running yet. Once the engine is running, the ECU provides power to the fuel pump relay continuously. When the engine quits running, the ECU shuts off power to the fuel pump relay, thus keeping the pump from pumping fuel and creating a hazard in the event of a crash.

The OEM Mitsubishi pumps use a contact point interrupt mechanism to regulate its duty cycles. The Facet 40xxx series fuel pumps run continuously as long as +12vdc is applied to their inputs. My 40171 draws 740 ma while running.

Facet's oil pressure switch warning is generic for all positive displacement electric fuel pumps 'cuz many are installed in "non ECU controlled" systems. Also, always install a fuel filter upstream with these type electric fuel pumps. They have precise clearances that will eventually be damaged by crud in the fuel system.
Just sayin'
__________________

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.


cpmodem screwed with this post 04-01-2008 at 11:30 AM
cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 11:44 AM   #42
Ooobah-Moto
Banned
 
Ooobah-Moto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto / London
Oddometer: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem
Also, always install a fuel filter upstream with these type electric fuel pumps. They have precise clearances that will eventually be damaged by crud in the fuel system.
Just sayin'
you would think.. after tearing her apart to install the new pump I could have gone the extra step to install the filter upstream - it's a weird kind'of lazy I suffer from...
Ooobah-Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 12:54 PM   #43
DockingPilot OP
Hooked Up and Hard Over
 
DockingPilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Andover, N.J.
Oddometer: 8,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber-Moto
you would think.. after tearing her apart to install the new pump I could have gone the extra step to install the filter upstream - it's a weird kind'of lazy I suffer from...
I was thinking of just velcroing my engine to the frame next time. Quicker that way.
__________________
Frank Reinbold

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 04:36 AM   #44
Ooobah-Moto
Banned
 
Ooobah-Moto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto / London
Oddometer: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
I was thinking of just velcroing my engine to the frame next time. Quicker that way.

YOU"RE CRAZY MAN!!!
Ooobah-Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:57 AM   #45
Pilbara
In the flow...
 
Pilbara's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: In the f'in city
Oddometer: 1,570
Got em on...

...now just got to get out!

For the rear tanks


...and the front tank


and here is the rear tanks.

The 40107 will allow me to use a switch to select either or both pumps without having to realign fuel taps.

Cheers
Pilbara
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014